Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2020, 02:01 AM   #1
Hank

Wifi/internet service

I have been in RV"s for 10-12 years. I have used the RV parks wifi. I am going full time. Have ATT at home with uverse router/fiber optic. I want to keep Att and have something in the RV that works much like it does at home now, use mostly wifi and very little Cell data. I don't need much, don't work from RV, just emails maybe Facebook/message. Want to add extender/booster. Tried to talk to Att but was more confused after that. Where do you start, can the hardware(router) I currently have be used in the RV with a extender? If not what do I do with it. I have not been out in the RV very little over the past 2-3 years just using the RV park wifi but now that I am going full time what do I need to do to make that change over. Thanks to anyone that can tell me how they got it done.

Hank
Henry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Barnes View Post
I am going full time... Want to add extender/booster... can the hardware(router) I currently have be used in the RV with a extender?

Hank
Not quite sure of your question(s). Does going full time = one place in the RV or traveling around the country? Adding an extender/booster implies there exists a WiFi signal you are boosting > is that coming from the RV Resort? Please explain if you are planning on being in a single location 'full time' or traveling around and will be in many different locations throughout the year. There are different 'solutions' depending on the answers.
ESGWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #3

Your question is confusing. Typically there is NO WiFi or poor WiFi in campgrounds. The alternative is to create your own WiFi signal using cell phone data to make a connection to a cell tower.

You might want to watch some youtube videos to bone up on RV and internet...

This fella's channel, this video and others that he has created is full of information...

https://youtu.be/yDCIx5JpEgs

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:29 PM   #4

Wifi/internet service

You can't use your router from home. Get an AT&T phone plan with hotspot capability and your cell phone becomes your router. Or get a stand alone device like the Verizon MIFI and a separate AT&T data plan for that device.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:44 PM   #5

A hotspot is the way to go and it doesn't have to be from a major carrier. It just has to be available in the area you are traveling and minor carriers us the same cell towers as the majors.
There's no security with campground wifi, so we use it infrequently and not for email or online transactions.
A hotspot can be a cell phone, a standalone hotspot, or something like an AT&T tablet which connects with a data plan. We use a separate hotspot from StraightTalk because we're cheap and like the ability to add data as we need it. Our friends have an AT&T tablet that they love. Of course, we recently updated our phone to one with a hotspot built in, so that might change.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #6
Hank

Wifi internet service

Thanks for your replies, My question was probably not very clear. I have used the internet while at rv parks and for the most part it's been OK. Now that I am going full time I thought it might be good to upgrade to something that may give me more capability. I'am not a big user, no streaming/movies/no working from RV, just basic stuff. I would prefer to stay away from something that required Cell connection and more costly data plans. I think what I want to do is just be able to boost my capability as needed while at an RV park. I use Att at home now, my laptop/ipad/printer all tie into the Uverse router for Wifi service. What I would like to do is have something that would emulate that in my RV. If I can do that and connect a little stronger to the Parks Wifi service I'am OK. If I went for several days and couldn't connect to the internet I would not crash & burn. I want be traveling a lot, mostly near home base San Antonio and around Texas. Is there a package deal that will do what I want that's almost plug & play.

thanks
Hank
Henry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #7

Question... what do you mean by "boost my capability"?
You might be able to boost your signal, but you're still limited to what the rv park will let you use for data and you're sharing that data with everyone else in the park.
Are you going to need a way to tie those devices together using wifi? You're going to need something like a hotspot. An rv park wifi is not going to allow you to do that.
I agree that you might not want to get a cell data plan. We use a StraightTalk hotspot like this... https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...tspot-k779hsdl You have to buy the device,and purchase 'data'. You can buy a data plan for as little as $15 a month with no contract.
That's just an example.... but you need a way to tie those devices together with wifi and a hotspot (phone, standalone hotspot...) will allow you do operate as you do at home.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:52 PM   #8

Quote:
I use Att at home now, my laptop/ipad/printer all tie into the Uverse router for Wifi service. What I would like to do is have something that would emulate that in my RV. If I can do that and connect a little stronger to the Parks Wifi service I'am OK.
It all comes down to the bandwidth that is shared by all users of the WiFi. Let me attempt to explain...

Think of your wired connection into your home as a firehouse, put into your Uverse router, that turns that wired connection into your home into WiFi, and you are sharing that amount of water ( called bandwidth) with three devices. Each device is getting plenty of water ( bandwidth) to satisfy your needs.

A connection at a campground may also be connected to a firehouse to their router and wireless device ( but often they are supplied the equivalent of a garden hose because they are in a more rural location). Now instead of just your 3 devices, there are a hundred more all sharing the water ( bandwidth). Necessarily the bandwidth goes down for each device connected to the WiFi and campground router.

The only relief from this is if you were the only one in the campground using the service, and the campground office is not using it either, which is probably unlikely.

So to combat this lack of sufficient water ( bandwidth) to satisfy your needs you would have to introduce your own firehouse of water ( bandwidth) that would satisfy your 3 devices and ONLY your 3 devices. This is where your cell data plan comes into play. You pay for bandwidth that is tied directly to your account and can only be used by you. You can create a wireless router via your Hotspot function of most smartphones, or you can purchase a dedicated Hotspot from the carrier that you chose. If price is a concern look to one of the discount carriers like Straight Talk provided by Walmart.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #9

These guys might be able to help: http://www.MobileInternetInfo.com
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #10

Interesting subject. I have a similar issue.
I'll frame it up and would welcome any thoughts.
We travel and pretty much always have good Verizon 4G with our phones.
Wife wants to run Zoom meetings twice a week, lasting about 2 hours each. Always 0800-1000.
She uses an HP laptop. Nice up to date Win10 model.
Thinking cell tower is about the only way to do this even relatively dependably.
Question...will a smartphone setup as a hotspot handle the low res Zoom production bandwidth? Using Samsung S9+.
Question...looks like "Straight-talk" is cheap (Verizon is not) but what providers/towers does Straight Talk use?
A lot of these cheap provider's offer very limited service outside urban areas. Experiences
Priced Verizon Jetpack MIFI 8800 and they are right proud of that thing with service. Still?
Would a tablet make a better hotspot when compared to a smartphone?
Any suggestions appreciated.
I bought (FWIW) a directional Surf combo antenna designed to grab CG WIFI. It does do that. But it's so slow due to everyone using the service, as previously stated, as to be useless anytime most folk are not outdoors doing something.
Thanks. Off to peruse Straight Talk.
JRBME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Question...will a smartphone setup as a hotspot handle the low res Zoom production bandwidth? Using Samsung S9+.
Question...looks like "Straight-talk" is cheap (Verizon is not) but what providers/towers does Straight Talk use?
The bandwidth is entirely dependent on the signal strength from the cell tower. The smartphone will handle whatever it has available. Straight Talk ( Walmart) also sells hotspots and data plans. As long as you are near a big city or interstate you should have a strong signal with almost any provider. Only when you start getting rural or out west will the bandwidth start to fail you. There are onine coverage maps for all of the providers. You may want to look those up to see if the coverage is good where you plan on going. SOmetimes my buddy with T-mobile is better than my AT&T and sometimes not.

Quote:
I don't believe it matters a smartphone or tablet as a hotspot. They will both handle what signal bandwidth is provided. A separate hotspot may be more handy, but you can certainly make due with a smartphone. Just make sure whatever service provider you pick will allow the use of a hotspot before signing up.

You may want to look into the WeBoost line of cell phone boosters. I have one at my rural home and it makes my weak funky cell phone connection good enough that I can drop my landline and use my cell phone 100%. Before installation I would always drop phone calls within minutes of a connection.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBME View Post
I have StraightTalk and the service that they use depends on the phone you buy. Mine uses Verizon.
The hotspot that you can buy from them allows you to add data to their plan. We have a hotspot also and that allows us to add data if we need more during the month.
Whether the cell service works outside urban areas is always a bit 'iffy'. Some say that a cell phone booster helps them get a good signal, but we don't have personal experience.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBME View Post
Interesting subject. I have a similar issue.
I'll frame it up and would welcome any thoughts.
We travel and pretty much always have good Verizon 4G with our phones.
Wife wants to run Zoom meetings twice a week, lasting about 2 hours each. Always 0800-1000.
She uses an HP laptop. Nice up to date Win10 model.
Thinking cell tower is about the only way to do this even relatively dependably.
I ran a Microsoft Teams meeting (2+ hours) via the hotspot on my iPhone 8 to my Windows 10 PC when the power was out due to the hurricane. It handled it fine. Full video and audio of multiple participants plus recording the meeting via the software.
Quote:

A lot of these cheap provider's offer very limited service outside urban areas. Experiences
Priced Verizon Jetpack MIFI 8800 and they are right proud of that thing with service. Still?
I bought (FWIW) a directional Surf combo antenna designed to grab CG WIFI. It does do that. But it's so slow due to everyone using the service, as previously stated, as to be useless anytime most folk are not outdoors doing something.
Thanks. Off to peruse Straight Talk.
Straight Talk uses Verizon towers in some areas and AT&T towers in other areas so it will depend on the area. Be aware that most MNVOs are deprioritized on the towers versus the regular carrier. So the data speed might be lower on one of those type of carriers.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:57 PM   #14

Got the camp pro. Works great. Boosts worthless campground WiFi to great level often. High power worthless signal. Many parks have overloaded service and others limit streaming to prohibit Spotify use sort of. Forget zoom or movie's.

Currently looking for a cell booster. Our spectrum Apple phone is a great device when in range. Good service.

Look at boosters carefully! Study many hours or you will make a $500 mistake. They are not universal. Not easy to understand. Sometimes make service worse.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:04 PM   #15

All excellent info!
I'm (for the moment) narrowed down to turning on my Samsung hotspot and seeing how it goes.
Looking at a Verizon yagi repeater for the camper. Our destinations all have good Verizon service. There is one glaring exception at an Airstream park near Cleveland, SC. NO cell service. May have changed since last there?
I already have a mast and setup connections related to my directional dish. As stated, all the park WIFI signal was pretty much useless when the park was full. We go to music festivals and they're always over full.
I'll post how this works out.
We have a complicated relationship with Verizon and they give good results. Don't wish to change...but, could consider other brand hotspot?
Need to research Zoom data needs. Compare to cost.
Here in NC the festivals are cranking up. I hope. We're on for several in September.
Thanks again!
Old 08-19-2020, 11:36 PM   #16

And to muddy this discussion up real good--I'll add this highly informational link.. very up to date. A bit slow to read. Good links throughout.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/working-remotely/

Tags
service, wifi