Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #1

Wifi question: want to receive park wifi signal into my wireless router

I've searched on Google, although maybe I'm not using the appropriate terminology or keywords to get the right answer, because I haven't really found any answers that I can understand. So here's the task:

I want to use a cantenna or some other directional type wifi antenna to receive the park-provided wifi signal as my ISP. BUT I want to use my own private, secure wifi network that I've already got configured. My wifi router has a USB port that I've got a backup drive plugged into. I don't want to connect my computer/ipad directly to the park wifi, I want to use my own secure network. What the heck sort of device do I need to accomplish this? It needs to be able to receive a wifi signal via. coaxial connector (hooked to the external antenna), and output this signal via. ethernet so I can plug it into my wifi router. OR, replace my wifi router with a single device that could accomplish this.

HomeGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #2

The term you are looking for is "repeater" or "repeater Bridge" depending on your router you have a couple or choices, if your current router supports repeater bridging you can just configure it, if not you need to get a second router that does and then put a physical cable between to two, if you want an external antenna then you have to go to option two and also make sure you get a router that supports an external antenna. The links below are a start to help you.

Linking Routers - DD-WRT Wiki

Wlan Repeater - DD-WRT Wiki
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGrown View Post

I want to use a cantenna or some other directional type wifi antenna to receive the park-provided wifi signal as my ISP. BUT I want to use my own private, secure wifi network that I've already got configured. My wifi router has a USB port that I've got a backup drive plugged into. I don't want to connect my computer/ipad directly to the park wifi, I want to use my own secure network. What the heck sort of device do I need to accomplish this? It needs to be able to receive a wifi signal via. coaxial connector (hooked to the external antenna), and output this signal via. ethernet so I can plug it into my wifi router. OR, replace my wifi router with a single device that could accomplish this.

I just bought something a few weeks back that may fill your needs that they were talking about on another trailer forum. It is a repeater/router with a omni directional antenna. You can configure your own local area network (LAN) that you can secure. I got it on sale cheaper than what is currently advertised, so you might can get it at a lower cost.

JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

http://support.jefatech.com/index.ph...d=17&nav=0,4,5

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the info and links guys, looks like I should be able to find what I need.
I was aware that I probably needed something like a repeater, but didn't know if it would suit my needs.

Thanks again!!
HomeGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #5

The Jeff tech is a cheep "link-sys" unit. Want a good one?

http://3gstore.com/product/4136_surf...4g-router.html

See my post. Wi-Fi to WAN.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:17 PM   #6

Personally I use 2 inexpensive Linksys routers. Router 1 is set to Bridge mode, Router 2 is my internal router. I connect the WAN port on Router 2 to port 1 on Router 1. Whenever I get to a campsite I connect my Chromebook to Router 1 and setup the SSID and any encryption if necessary. All devices connect to Router 2 and once Router 1 is connected to the campsite wireless all devices have access.
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote