RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2020, 06:53 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
ESGWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 22
Here is the ‘mapping’ from the Honeywell t-stat. I would expect that any t-stat, smart or not, has this same mapping. And also below is the wiring diagram.

About the wiring diagram:
The color of wires is simply how mine was wired; while some say there is a convention for the colors, there is no assurance that it is followed. The thermostat wire they used in in my RV was the 7 Wire type, of which 2 were unused. Also for these older RV systems, there is a DC voltage that is used to close the relays in the HVAC unit; for example on a call for heat, terminals W and Rh are shorted together by the thermostats own internal relays and it thus passes this DC voltage to the HVAC relay for “Heat” allowing it to close causing the heater to come on. So I simply spliced into the existing ‘green’ wire that goes to Rc/Rh with one side of the 24VAC supply and used an existing, but unused, wire to carry the other side of the 24VAC to the C terminal. How this works is explained in more detail in the ‘theory’ section above.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Terminal Mapping Chart.png
Views:	58
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	233867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Terminal Wiring Diagram.png
Views:	59
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	233868  
ESGWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #22
Junior Member
 
ESGWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 22
That nagging feeling!

So, all is still working wonderfully. But it was nagging at me: is the AC signal getting thru and riding around on my Trailer’s DC system? Would this have long term effects to my electronics? What about the lead acid battery?

Not having an oscilloscope, I checked it out with my trusty voltmeter. No signs, but could it still be there? Only an O-Scope would satisfy my concern. But even used ones are expensive. Could I justify the expense thinking I could use it for some of my other hobbies? As we all know, projects are simply a reason to buy more tools Nope, even 20+ year old scopes on eBay were not reasonable, at least for me. Enter QUIMAT. I had no idea they had a little handheld wannabe O-scope. Done.

Well it arrived and below are the pics showing the nice 60Hz sine wave on the C Wire. Other pic is showing no signal at all on the Trailer’s 12VDC system, with the A/C and Heat on or off. Way cool. That nagging feeling gone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60Hz Wave.png
Views:	53
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	234838   Click image for larger version

Name:	No Wave.png
Views:	52
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	234839  
ESGWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESGWheel View Post
So, all is still working wonderfully. But it was nagging at me: is the AC signal getting thru and riding around on my Trailer’s DC system? Would this have long term effects to my electronics? What about the lead acid battery?

Not having an oscilloscope, I checked it out with my trusty voltmeter. No signs, but could it still be there? Only an O-Scope would satisfy my concern. But even used ones are expensive. Could I justify the expense thinking I could use it for some of my other hobbies? As we all know, projects are simply a reason to buy more tools Nope, even 20+ year old scopes on eBay were not reasonable, at least for me. Enter QUIMAT. I had no idea they had a little handheld wannabe O-scope. Done.

Well it arrived and below are the pics showing the nice 60Hz sine wave on the C Wire. Other pic is showing no signal at all on the Trailer’s 12VDC system, with the A/C and Heat on or off. Way cool. That nagging feeling gone!
You could have just used a regular multimeter set on AC in the millivolts range to see how much ripple is on the DC.

That being said, Its nice to have a oscilloscope. I have this one for hobby use like Arduino and other micrcontrollers. https://www.amazon.com/Rigol-DS1054Z.../dp/B012938E76
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
ESGWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 22
babock

Recall the part: "As we all know, projects are simply a reason to buy more tools" so shhh, as I justified the cost of the QUIMAT based on the 'need'

Boy that full featured digital scope sure looks sweet! Now i just gotta think up some projects to justify it
ESGWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:36 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESGWheel View Post
babock

Recall the part: "As we all know, projects are simply a reason to buy more tools" so shhh, as I justified the cost of the QUIMAT based on the 'need'

Boy that full featured digital scope sure looks sweet! Now i just gotta think up some projects to justify it
Amazing what you get for the price. I have a few RV related Arduino projects in the works.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 23
Thanks for doing all the leg work on the 12VDC to 24VAC issue @ESGWheel. It appears that Power Stream inverter opens the door for many different residential smart Thermostats.

I don't care about the WiFi features and remote monitoring found in most, but I would like a programmable Bluetooth thermostat, has anyone seen something like that? The MicroAir is quite expensive and the display does not appear to be very good.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 13
The micro air thermostat works great. As far as price I don’t really think there out of line. If you install the nest thermostat at your house your going to pay over $200 bucks. There is another option if you have the One control system on your Rv. I think it’s called ONECONTROL HVAC V2 DUAL-ZONE CONTROL for about the same money. One thing that’s great about the micro air is that it plug and play and the company stands behind there product. Tech support will work with you if you do have a problem. The one control has to be wired into the a/c control panel.

My Rv came with the one control tablet and auto level only. I’ve added the multifunction board to control the slides, awning and awning lights. I also added the light control module that will control all the lights. The lights are dimmable too. Then the final was the WiFi module so I can control all the above with my cell phone. The next module I will be adding will be the tank monitoring along with control for the water pump and water heater.

All the above as far as one control was around $600 bucks. The OneControl system above is real simple to install.

Sam
samgann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 13
Click image for larger version

Name:	17C9D80D-D829-4DCC-8E0B-484473E3E968.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	242194
samgann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:47 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgann View Post

Glad to hear you're happy with the Micro Air. I'm a fan of their soft starters, but the reviews have not been very good for the thermostat. $249 is crazy expensive, there are plenty of WiFi thermostats available for $50. The value equation for these types of devices comes down to bundling the "internet of things" features into the device. If you're looking for remote access to your thermostat anywhere in the world, I can see paying $249, however, there's a market segment like myself with 99% of our camping being completely off grid with no access to the internet. What I need is a simple programmable thermostat with a bluetooth connection to my phone so I can change the temp while in bed or outside the camper. The AirExcel 9430-3543 is perfect in that it's a plug and play installation with 12v power and bluetooth...they just forgot the programming part to set various temperatures at different times of the day.

I'll probably end up with the Micro Air, but it's going to annoy me every time I look at and think $249.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 13
Ya I see you point I guess convince at a cost. There are other options.
Have you seen these thermostats below?

Single zone Bluetooth https://www.rvpartscountry.com/New-B...e_p_30147.html

and a wifi https://zedly.com/a-wireless-smart-thermostat-for-rv/

Another Bluetooth https://www.camperid.com/dometic-rv/...13107-000.html

The Zedly Wi-Fi doesn't need internet. you can connect to with your phone and has scheduling too.

Just trying to help.
samgann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgann View Post
Ya I see you point I guess convince at a cost. There are other options.
Have you seen these thermostats below?

Single zone Bluetooth https://www.rvpartscountry.com/New-B...e_p_30147.html

and a wifi https://zedly.com/a-wireless-smart-thermostat-for-rv/

Another Bluetooth https://www.camperid.com/dometic-rv/...13107-000.html

The Zedly Wi-Fi doesn't need internet. you can connect to with your phone and has scheduling too.

Just trying to help.

Always appreciate some extra help.

The first one is the Dometic version of the Coleman Macht. Bluetooth, but no ability to program.

The second one isn't yet available and they want a $4.95 per month subscription. The subscription is required. I make it a point to never support a company that overcharges for electronics and then tries to force you into a subscription. They should be giving the device away for free. On top of the monthly subscription, they'll be harvesting data on every one of their users and selling it.

The third one is the same as the 1st, no programming.... the search continues.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:52 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,602
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B010PTKW...ing=UTF8&psc=1
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post

Thank you.


6 Year old technology.
No bluetooth
Terrible reviews
Must have internet to conrtol the unit via WiFi



Yes, I'm a hard one to please
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
Thank you.


6 Year old technology.
No bluetooth
Terrible reviews
Must have internet to conrtol the unit via WiFi



Yes, I'm a hard one to please
Thermostat technology is way more than 6 years old. Just sayin...

The other points turn me off to it, too.... Just saved me $100, I think....
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
flymhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mile Hi City
Posts: 626
Looking at this one as a replacement for my 2017 Digital thermastat.

Ebay currently has the white listed.
__________________
2015 Denali Duramax 2500
2017 Coachmen 229TBS
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
Thank you.


6 Year old technology.
No bluetooth
Terrible reviews
Must have internet to conrtol the unit via WiFi



Yes, I'm a hard one to please
What is the brand and how old is your AC unit?
bradbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbill View Post
What is the brand and how old is your AC unit?

2021 Surveyor Legend 240BHLE


Coleman Mach AC and Coleman Mach 9430-3382 digital thermostat on the wall. Works fine, but can't be programmed and it doesn't have bluetooth. Their 9430-3543 is a direct replacement with bluetooth, but it's not programmable.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
2021 Surveyor Legend 240BHLE


Coleman Mach AC and Coleman Mach 9430-3382 digital thermostat on the wall. Works fine, but can't be programmed and it doesn't have bluetooth. Their 9430-3543 is a direct replacement with bluetooth, but it's not programmable.
My bet is that you are going to have a tough time finding one like you want. Most Thermostats are WiFi so you would have to set up a Wifi System in your trailer. There are other problems associated with that regarding how your phone is tied up.

Out of curiosity, why is having bluetooth control of the AC/Heat so important? Don't get me wrong, love tech and I am a CTO of a tech company so I understand having tech gadgets.

The reason I asked you about your brand is that certain brands have a propietrary thermostat with a special interface between the thermostat and the Heat/AC system.
bradbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbill View Post
Out of curiosity, why is having bluetooth control of the AC/Heat so important? Don't get me wrong, love tech and I am a CTO of a tech company so I understand having tech gadgets.

The bluetooth part might be seen as a gadget thing, but I want it for 3 reasons.
#1 Adjust the temp while lying in bed, or anywhere I'm in proximity to the trailer.
#2 My thermostat is inaccessible when the slide is pulled in. It would be nice to pull it up on my phone via bluetooth to make an adjustment.
#3 Smart apps on a phone tend to be easier to program schedules than crappy button interfaces on wall devices.

I'm using a lot of Victron equipment for solar, inverting, etc. I like being able to check on things from my phone, with no reliance on WiFi. Victron offers that for most of their products.

I'm in the HVAC manufacturing business, these devices cost less than $10 to produce when they're dumb. Add in smart features, and they're maybe $20 - $30 max.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 23
Broke down and went with the path of least resistance. Mico-Air is plug and play and they're running a $50.00 off Black Friday deal starting today using discount code CMETRV.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
thermostat, wifi

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.