Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
Aging Junior Member

Wildcat Maxx Wardrobe Mod

The wardrobe in our fifth wheel has 2 areas. The right side has 2 large doors. The left side has a 9" wide door to access a 14 1/2" wide space.

I'd like to cut out the 5 1/2" cross piece (outlined in red) and make a wider door for easier access.

Has anyone done this? Is the cross piece necessary for wardrobe stability?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1327.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	221584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1322.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	221585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1324.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	221586  
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't see any red, but if the piece you're talking about is the vertical piece to the right of the single door, I don't see any reason it can't be removed and a wider door used in place of the existing one.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #3
Site Team

I doubt that little piece adds any support. Go for it.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
Aging Junior Member

Thanks guys. The red outline in the last picture is kind of hard to see. Sorry about that.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
Site Team

I see it now that you pointed out which photo it's in.
Removing that shouldn't be an issue at all.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #6

I would check two things. 1, Where is the wall holding the end of the shelf? 2. What door would you use? The finish in our rigs is hard to match. Go for it.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #7

I would take out the left stile and the inset panel. Leave the right stile for two reasons:
1) It supports the middle door
2) It gives the (new) left door something to close against.

After you get the left stile out, you should be able to just yank the inset panel to the left to remove it.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #8

We have a similar set up in our Wildcat. Ours is set up that way so you still have access to each side of the wardrobe when the slide is in - the larger side from the bedroom and the small side from the bath. For us, not having access to the small side when the slide is retracted would be a pain when we are loading or unloading for a trip as we cannot open the slide while we are parked in front of our house.
Zeke (the Partipoodle) 8 yrs, Ginger (standard poodle) 7 mos - both rescues
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #9

Measure the other cabinet doors in your camper. If you can find one that will cover the opening after you remove the parts that you want, then you may be able to order one from the dealer or manufacturer. It could be that you could use 2 doors similar to the ones on the right side. I did this when I changed some cabinets in my last Cardinal.
wvcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:46 AM   #10

rather than purchase a new door, you could use a piece of 1/8" plywood on the back of both pieces, the door and the vertical divider to connect them together making one large door out of both of them.

Cut it off top and bottom with a vibrating saw, measure and cut the plywood, attach with glue and screws on the back.

Stain it to match and Voila, one larger door hung on the same hinges. Fast, Easy and Cheap!

When it is closed it will look just like it does now but the entire width will now open for you.

You could also just cut it off as I mentioned above, use a couple of hinges or a piano hinge to connect the two so that when you opened the door the panel would fold back against the door (that way it would not stick out so far when opened). A couple of wood blocks at the top and bottom inside of the frame to keep it from hinging in while closed would keep it where it belongs while closed.

PS, don't forget to sand and stain the top and bottom of the area where you removed the vertical divider no matter how you do it..
Old 01-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #11
Aging Junior Member

Exactly what I was looking for, excellent comments and recommendations.
Once I decide what to do and get it done I'll post pics of the finished project.
Thanks every one for all you helpful input.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff95814 View Post
Exactly what I was looking for, excellent comments and recommendations.
Once I decide what to do and get it done I'll post pics of the finished project.
Thanks every one for all you helpful input.
Let us know what you do and take some pics to show us the results please.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:07 PM   #13
Aging Junior Member

You got it Douglas. I especially liked your suggestions. Sounds like you have experience with mods and DIY stuff. I'll let you know when I get something done - with pics. Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff95814 View Post
You got it Douglas. I especially liked your suggestions. Sounds like you have experience with mods and DIY stuff. I'll let you know when I get something done - with pics. Thanks again.
The Piano Hinge idea would probably be easier. They are "surface Mount" doors so the back side of the door and the vertical trim won't be on the same plane. You can screw the hinge to the back of the door but will have to add a cleat to the back of the vertical panel so the hinge can be screwed sideways into it.making the hinge an "L" when closed.

The other issue with doing this is the panel will still be behind the other f=door so you will have to open that other door first and close the modified one first.

If it were me Id make it, install it, then close both doors and mark it so I could take it off and trim it just enough to allow me to open that door and not have to open the other. that would become a PITA over time.

By installing them marking you can make the smallest gap possible for clearance so it still looks nice.

We have a bit common, I see you are in Sacramento, I grew up in Chico/Paradise.

A good bit of what I know about what I suggested I learned from my best friend, an excellent High End Cabinet Maker.

Tags
cat, wildcat