Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #1

Wire Shelves in the Wardrobe?

I have two USELESS wardrobes closet on either side of the bed in the back room. They are narrow and deep. I have thought about putting up the wire shelving that I have seen a few times, but wasn't sure how.

I know I have seen several pictures of this mod, but I was curious where the shelves came from and they were attached. I thought I could by and 8 foot shelf at HD and cut it down with bolt cutters to fit, but I would like it to be deeper than 12". Any suggestions???

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '05 & '07
Rice² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Jas

I just did this to a little wardrobe in mine. I got a sheet of 3/8 plywood and a few 1/4" shelf supports. I cut 2 pieces to fit the sides of the wardrobe so that the shelves would have something substantial to attach to. That and I could attach these side walls to the studding behind the panel trim. I drilled 1/4" holes in parallel paths every 2" all the way up and down each side. I stained the panels and installed them. After that it was a matter of cutting plywood shelves to fit between the sides and res on the pegs.

Here's a link to the project pics.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eyor-7003.html
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice² View Post
I have two USELESS wardrobes closet on either side of the bed in the back room. They are narrow and deep. I have thought about putting up the wire shelving that I have seen a few times, but wasn't sure how.
I did this too, after all I do not take any clothes that need to be on a hanger or in a closet - my trailer clothes fold nicely

I went to Home Depot and got the Closet Maid brand, all white metal. I got one 20 inch deep shelf ( 60 inch. too long, but nothing shorter available) and the assorted brackets for 3 x 11 inch wide shelves (or 6 brackets). I got 2 of the vertical bars, screwed with 1 inch screws to the back of the closet.

I do not have a bolt cutter, so I use a metal saw.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Jas

I was going to go the wire shelf route but was afraid of missing the structure on the back side. In my new pantry there is maybe 3/4" of frame in ea corner to screw to and I'm not sure how that was attached to the camper on the ends.
I may still do the wire shelves in one of the front closets just for that extra room. Only the wife brings a ball gown to go camping so 1 hanging closet should be enough.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Gas Mans

Anything we've added has been with pieces of oak (supports) or 1/2" birch plywood (shelves) so they could be stained to match the interior of the trailer. The 3/4" strips screwed to the walls are the real trick to secure things to in successful projects. Pocket screw (Kreg jig) everything together the same way they do at the factory. Anything that can't secured that way, hang the wood and screw through it to the 3/4" strips. It's worked through a couple of campers of our own and anything our friends have asked us to build for them..
Gas Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice² View Post

I know I have seen several pictures of this mod, but I was curious where the shelves came from and they were attached. I thought I could by and 8 foot shelf at HD and cut it down with bolt cutters to fit, but I would like it to be deeper than 12". Any suggestions???
My husband just did this modification but with 16 inch deep wire shelving. He said to get the metal U clamps at HD rather than use the plastic anchors. The screws can't be any more than quarter inch on the exterior wall of the closet facing the bed; you can use half inch screws on the closet wall facing the exterior of the camper. You will need a heavy duty bolt cutter. If 16 inch is not deep enough, he said to use two 12 inchers back to back.
lburas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #7

I used the 24" deep shelf, measured exactly the depth that I needed, and then, after cutting the desired width, used two 2x4's in a vice to bend the 24" shelf to the desired width and angle. Just don't run the side supports all the way to the back wall. Leave 1-2" unsupported in the rear, so that you can slip the bent portion behind.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Cyber Phrenologist

Check this article for an easy, cheap and reversible solution.

At Target you can get a canvas shelf system that hangs from a closet rod. We like them. No drilling, no hassle, and you can change your mind later.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rage-3274.html

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #9

We measured the wardrobes, went out and purchaced some wire 'cubes' that fit well and find we get a lot of 'stuff' in them and the little wasted space has uses too!
We were able to stack 4 or 5 in each wardrobe.

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

We had the wire cubes before we went to the canvas hanging shelves. Moved the cubes into the cabinets in the living area, where they also work great since there are no shelves in there.

I found tying the cubes together with plastic cable ties keeps them from sliding around.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to tlhintoq
I find that installing the wire shelves upside-down is also a handy thing. The support that normally goes downward becomes an upward retaining edge to keep things from sliding off the shelf when driving.
tlhintoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
I did this too, after all I do not take any clothes that need to be on a hanger or in a closet - my trailer clothes fold nicely

I went to Home Depot and got the Closet Maid brand, all white metal. I got one 20 inch deep shelf ( 60 inch. too long, but nothing shorter available) and the assorted brackets for 3 x 11 inch wide shelves (or 6 brackets). I got 2 of the vertical bars, screwed with 1 inch screws to the back of the closet.

I do not have a bolt cutter, so I use a metal saw.

Great idea for the coffee cups!
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote