Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #1

Wireless backup camera

I'm the proud owner of a new Rockwood Ultra-V, 2618v. I want to put a wireless backup camera on it and I'm wondering which one is the best. So far I've looked at Tadi Brothers, Voyager, and Rearview Safety. Any suggestions on what to look for?
MtnMn561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

The wife and I are new owners of an Ultra V 2715s. I'll be interested to hear the responses you get. Good luck and safe traveling.
olbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #3

I have a 31 ft MH and I installed the rear view safety, works great with no interruptions Hope it helps some.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
RiderBloke

Wireless backup camera

I have a Grey Wolf 26RR pulled by a Tundra with a fiberglass cap. I bought the Rearview camera system and found that it was not consistent. I experimented and found that it is better with the extended aerial they supply attached to the side of the AC unit and the receiving aerial on the roof of the Tundra. The problem was, I believe, the AC unit is full of steel and as in a direct line between camera and receiving aerial. Anyway it seems to work well in the driveway and on Thursday I'll find out if it works as designed on the road.
There were a couple of problems with the equipment as supplied - the longer directly attached aerial came apart and there was a center pin missing from the aerial lead. The former problem is moot as I am not using that aerial now and I used a strand of wire to make a new center pin which seems to be working well.
It did surprise me a bit that the camera system had a lot more trouble with signal consistency than the TST Tire Monitor system. But radio waves are all a great mystery even to former technicians like me.
All the research I did said the Rearview camera system was the better quality and value for money.

Sent from somewhere on the face of the earth with my iPad using Forest River Forums
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #5

I purchased the dual camera system from Tadi Bros as a wired solution for my Tsunami coach. I knew going to this I was going to have to run the cables which is always a challenge. However I felt the safety and convenience of good back up cameras was essential particularly when towing a 25 Ft horse Trailer. Tadi initially sent the wrong cameras but when I made them aware of this, they immediately sent the correct dual camera system. I was skeptical of the IR night vision capabilities. I endured the days of work and effort to run and snake the cables to the back of the coach. I then installed a simple toggle switch to select the video signal from one camera to the other on the drivers console. I now have had three years of faultless reliability of two rear cameras. One is pointed upward to view above towed vehicles for passing and checking the towed vehicle. The other camera is used when backing out of my heated workshop, backing up to a fence etc. and most importantly, facing towards the tow hitch, I can back onto any trailer without any assistance. I always use the back up camera when back also for safety purposes to ensure no one is behind the coach regardless of the reverse warning sounding off. This was the first modification I did to my coach due to safety concerns and it has paid dividends. If you go wireless or wired, spend the time to do it right as it makes traveling so much less stressful. Oh, I should mention I have 400hp so cruise about 80mph at night so tend to pass most of the rigs on the road hence the reliance on the camera for passing purposes. Hope this is helpful.

Diesel and dust!
Ricki.Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
KSH

I bought a rampage backup cam. $100 WiFi to the phone, magnetic attachment that's used just for backing up. http://www.amazon.com/Rampage-Produc.../dp/B00QHZV7IQ

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
I bought a rampage backup cam. $100 WiFi to the phone, magnetic attachment that's used just for backing up. http://www.amazon.com/Rampage-Produc.../dp/B00QHZV7IQ

I just seen this unit in Cabelas catalog yesterday. Thought it would be really handy but as with new stuff there were no reviews yet. It would be nice since I went from a bumper pull to a 5th this yr making the factory camera on my Ram no good for the new trailer. How do you like it so far?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
KSH

I think it works great for just backing up. It's magnetic so I usually just stick it on the corner of the bumper that I can't see. Ideally I would want to mount it on the top of the rv, but I haven't gotten there yet. It's WiFi so currently you can only use one camera. It's much better than having people shout directions! I have a ram 1500, and a 29' TT so it was a necessity. You have to move slow sometimes there is a slight delay in the video.

KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well I have the Furrion system the only down side is the small screen receiver(4.2) Had I known this at the time I purchased the trailer which was pre wired for it I'd never spent the money for it. They do not offer any larger display. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:49 PM   #10

Thank you all for your responses. I'll let you know what I ended up with and how it works.

Safe travels,
MtnMn561 is offline   Reply With Quote