Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #1

Wireless Media Server in RV

Ok guys I'm looking for help. I've always streamed movies through the internet. Well we just put a down payment on our first bunkhouse Class A so we can travel with kids in comfort. Here is what I'm looking for and I see it out there but wondering how you set it up.
I would like to be able to download movies from home onto either a laptop or Server.
I would like to take that into the motorhome and have a router(as a WAN) so that I can stream different local media to each of the 6 TVs in the RV(twin girls never want to watch the same thing).

I've heard a lot about plex and chromecasts or firesticks but I hear it needs internet connection now to operate.

Anyone have any Wireless media servers that don't stream off the internet in their RV?
Walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:09 AM   #2

Look at a synology diskstation running the plex server. I think you'll find it will work great.
4x4FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:19 AM   #3

Ok thanks. What do you connect to each tv?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walte1fr View Post
Ok thanks. What do you connect to each tv?
There are a multitude of options to use. You need to have you own 'internal' wireless network in your coach first. I would have the synology connected to the router by an ethernet cable. If you are going to have multiple streams I would invest in a good router ($150 - $200 not $29.95). Im all about cheap but I think you'll get better longevity. The you can use an amazon firestick on each tv. The other option is a laptop or tablet connected to plex can stream through a chromecast.

Just a few ideas to play with.

Steve

P.S. I forgot to add, a Qnap NAS would work great too.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #5

I'm curious how one gets six TVs in a 37 foot motorhomes.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #6

Yeah I was going to get a pretty good router. Just heard plex needs internet access. I'll take a look at synology. Anyone got a place to get movies?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #7

1 in master bedroom 2 in the bunks 1 over the kitchen sink 1 outside behind a door. Sorry so that's 5
Old 03-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Yeah I was going to get a pretty good router. Just heard plex needs internet access. I'll take a look at synology. Anyone got a place to get movies?
Plex with work either by streaming over the internet or by streaming over your LAN. You can also stream to both simultaneously. I use plex at home on my LAN just fine. Actually on your LAN you will get higher quality with virtually no lag.

Steve
Old 03-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4FF View Post
There are a multitude of options to use. You need to have you own 'internal' wireless network in your coach first. I would have the synology connected to the router by an ethernet cable. If you are going to have multiple streams I would invest in a good router ($150 - $200 not $29.95). Im all about cheap but I think you'll get better longevity. The you can use an amazon firestick on each tv. The other option is a laptop or tablet connected to plex can stream through a chromecast.

Just a few ideas to play with.

Steve

P.S. I forgot to add, a Qnap NAS would work great too.
We have a similar setup using a Droboserver 5D.

Since you will probably want internet when available, recommend you install a WiFi Ranger Elite ACpac FM antenna and router.
[https://wifiranger.com/]

This will set up a pervasive WiFi network in your camper (and outside for @ 50' as well ) just route everything through the WiFi Ranger. We can surf the net, stream Netflix, iTunes, Amazon or, when the signal is poor, tap into our Drobo and choose from our (really really large )media collection.

As a backup (and portable media server) we also have 2 2TB Seagate Wireless Plus and, if you are looking for a much less expensive solution than the above, this should fit the ticket nicely!

Wireless Plus: Mobile Storage To Stream Your Media| Seagate
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #10

Oh thanks. I'll have to check that out. I don't mind having a laptop for it. That way I can pull it in the house to get more movies
Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

If all TVs are SMART, you can set up your router as an INTRA-net with or without internet access.

Than you can stream your movies using an Intel NUC https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
and a USB 3.0 RAID 0 (JBOD) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16816216003 (add a pair of 8 Terabyte SATA drives and boom you are ready to rock and roll) with your movies on it as a video "server" to your intranet. Using Plex, Universal Media Server, or one of the other free MP4 streaming services, stream your movies right to your SMART TVs.

If your "non smart" TVs have USB ports and can play MP4s from the port (many non-smart TVs will), fill a small memory stick (max size depends on TV) and "sneaker-net" the stick from the NUC to your TV. That way each kid can watch what they want without bogging down your router with several streaming movies.

Since I leave our camper plugged in to the house (5th wheel parked in driveway), I leave the router, NUC and RAID on all the time and connected to our home intranet. I can then just drag and drop new movies right to the RAID from the back room.

FYI, I used this router in the camper - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16833281004

It acts as a range extender when connected at home, an Intra-Net switch when camping without internet, and then I just plug the campground internet log in into the range extender when I want to connect the camper's intra-net to the campground's system (occasionally, that will not work and I then connect the router to my phone's hotspot to check email and web surf).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #12

If you really wanted to get fancy (I have a tendency to get rube goldberg sometimes) You could have a NAS in your house and the same setup in the RV. Then you could have them sync when you are home. That way whatever you have at home you could have on the road.

Steve
Old 03-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #13

Now that's a good idea hahah
Old 03-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

I updated some information in my post. I linked to the wrong RAID stack initially - fixed now.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #15

Ok thanks. I'm going to print out the details after work. Thanks for the help
Old 03-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Ok thanks. I'm going to print out the details after work. Thanks for the help
I initially had 2 - 2T drives, upgraded to 2 - 4T drives, and, now have 2 - 8T drives. If we wanted to re-watch all the movies and TV shows, we would die of old age several times ....

Think we might set up the projector and screen "Gettysburg", "Glory", and, "Gods and Generals" at the Gettysburg Rally if anyone is interested.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #17

I did this modification to my camper -

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-119271.html

I have a raspberryPi in my camper that is plugged into the directional antenna I added. This allows me to accomplish part of what you are looking for.

First I want to preface this with...uh...you know you are camping, right? The whole idea is to get out in nature, away from the house and technology.

We do use the raspberryPi to watch movies when its raining or during the heat of the day in the middle of summer. But, part of camping is doing stuff as a family, so we watch movies...as a family. The kids need to learn to take turns.

Anyways. You can use a raspberryPi to host a NAS in your camper. I have mine setup so when I'm at home, I can put the antenna at my house and it shows up as a network drive on my home windows network. Then its easy to just copy files over.

In the camper, I use a program on the Pi called Kodi to view the files. It works well with a USB IR remote I bought on amazon for $6.

You could easily use the Pi to host a network share in the camper, then use other raspberryPi's to connect to that share via wifi and play whatever media you want.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I initially had 2 - 2T drives, upgraded to 2 - 4T drives, and, now have 2 - 8T drives. If we wanted to re-watch all the movies and TV shows, we would die of old age several times ....
X100 Lou - I think at last looksee we have something like 12 1/2 years of movies, TV shows, audio and assorted media on our mediaserver!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #19

Each TV will need to be able to use media across whatever network you set up.
then look for some sort of media server application. I'm currently playing with one called "Kodi". It's pretty versatile once you learn how to work with it. I have a stereo in my garage with outdoor speakers. I have an old cell phone connected to the audio in on the stereo. This old cell is running an app called media house. From my deck on my cell phone running kodi I can select music from my routers attached disk (also acts as media server) and play it to the cell phone in the garage and out the speakers on my deck. I can also select movies and play them to my TV. Shouldn't be too hard to do the same sort of thing in your camper. Set up a wifi network first. Then set up a media server then see if the tvs can see it or if you have to screen cast things.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #20

lol I know it's about getting out with the family but our main vacation spot at least once a month this summer will be a 4 hour drive. I think the kids would enjoy a movie or 2 each way. I ask more for that than the rainy days.

Can anyone pm me and let me know if they are using anything other than DVDs, torrents, or anything else to download their media?