Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #1

Wireless Rear View Camera

I had mentioned before in a thread that I was thinking about taking a wireless webcam and using it for a rear view camera that I can watch from my iPad in the truck. Well, this last trip I had an extra few minutes and got it setup and working. I won't get real deep into the technical side of it, but this is the hardware that I used:
1. Foscam Foscam FI8910W Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera - Here
2. Cisco-Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless-G Broadband Router - Here
3. Roadpro RPPI-300W DC to AC Power Inverter - Here
4. My iPad with the Free Foscam IP camera app.

I had all of these things sitting at the house and since it didn't cost me anything though I'd give it a whirl. I plugged the power inverter into the 12v plug near the TV and plugged the Foscam camera and Linksys access point into it. For testing I sat the camera on the back of a recliner, the wireless access point by the TV, and went to my truck and fired up the iPad. Once connected to the camera it worked OK but was not "seemless" video. Since the access point was at the rear of the 5er I was not getting a very good wireless signal on my iPad. So, to remedy this I moved the access point to the bed in the bedroom. At that point, it worked fantastic. I tested on the trip down and was happy with it until the camera fell off the chair. Before we left to come home I found a screw in the rear window frame that worked well to attach the camera mount to and it rode 75 miles there on the way home with no issues at all.

This is a video that DW took while on the interstate so you can see what it looks like:

For the time I have in it, I am very happy with the way it turned out.

Note, one of the driving factors for this is we can use it for a video monitor for the girls while we are camping. This past trip when DD2 would be inside napping all we had to do was fire up the APP on DW's phone and she can see the girl(s) while we sit outside under the awning. DW thinks that is the main reason I spent the time to setup this equipment to stay in the camper. I guess it's best I dont let her in on my secret of wanting a cheap rear view camera
Old 07-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Always Learning

LOL. I think I have the picture around here somewhere where I hung our baby monitor off of the handful for my Rotochok. You could definitely tell that it was a daddy-do. :-)

Nice setup!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #3

Awesome, brilliant, and simple. Nicely done.

Cheese
Mistacheese is offline   Reply With Quote