Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 05:19 PM   #1

Would like to remove part of a bathroom wall

Hello

2021 Sunseeker 2250LE

The toilet area is just a bit too tight so I was thinking that if I can remove the door and the wall in front of the toilet and then hang a curtain, it would give more room.

My question is how is the wall anchored to the floor and ceiling?

I assume the toilet wall connects to the shower wall as there is a seam that runs vertically between the two, just not sure how it's connected there either

Here is a drawing of what I would like to remove if possible

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-18 150617.png
Views:	86
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	259350  
Toy4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #2

Looking at the floor plan of that rig online, I see your problem.
You could remove the door without voiding your warranty, and attaching a curtain rod over the door would be easy. You might have to sit sideways though. Removing a wall would probably void your warranty.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:07 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Voiding the warranty for removing internal walls is more than likely.
The other issue will be….

This will more than likely be a deal killer when you go to sell. Only in some of the absolute smallest or oldest RV units have I ever been aware of a toilet that only offers a curtain for privacy.

Just saying.

You might see about removing the toilet from the floor, and investigating the possibility of turning the flange on the floor 45 degrees allowing you to use the toilet with the door open.
It would allow you to close the door afterwards…..and still take advantage of the ceiling fan unit.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #4

removing a wall will not void the warranty . if you have issues and it can be determined removing the wall caused the problem then you won't be covered . but anything else that goes wrong that can't be directly blamed on removing the wall and your covered .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #5

I have the same configuration. I always keep the shower door open to allow more movement in the bathroom. I think it would really hurt your resale value if you removed some of the wall. Personally, I wouldn’t want to lie in bed next to the toilet.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
D W

I don't have that verbiage in my Forest River Warranty, but listed under EVENTS DISCHARGING WARRANTOR FROM OBLIGATION UNDER THIS WARRANTY it does list "Unauthorized Alteration".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #7

Consider folding door

Have wet bath original wood door opening to hall across from kitchen. Removed door replaced with vinyl folding door wirh magnetic closure and with shower curtain pulling to cover folding door. Rpod 171
Barb RPod CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:31 PM   #8

Removing a wall could easily comprise the strength of the RV. Also, don't expect warranty fixes if you do. I would not do it.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #9
2012 Solera

With a 2021, I would be tempted to wait out the warranty - as others have said.

I did exactly this on our 2012 Solera. We have the corner bed and my wife “hated” the bed - “It’s like sleeping in a cave. I feel trapped in there.”

I cut off the wall facing the bed about half way up the mattress (the remaining wall holds the mattress in place quite well). I carpeted the top of this “wall stub” to avoid scratches when entering/exiting the bed.

I found nothing remotely structural or facility active (electric, gas or water) in the wall. Thin plywood over loosely attached (or unattached) maybe 1.5 inch X 3/4 inch boards, as I remember. Mounted small round curtain rods and hung opaque fabric type shower curtains. I did not remove the short wall between the door and the side of the Motorhome.

Wife is MUCH happier. There is an accordion door on ours that shuts off the bedroom and bathroom from the rest of the RV which works for us for privacy if more than the curtains is desired.

I kept the door and wall parts - I could splice the pieces back on if needed - but, in truth, the Motorhome is much more useful now. I did this in about 2013. Have since put over 90K miles and over 350 camped nights on the vehicle with no problems with this mod.

FYI, Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:48 AM   #10

We also have an accordion door between the bed/bath area and the front of the coach if we wanted more privacy but so far, haven't used it

The goal would be to put up a curtain to pull around when using the toilet, not to leave it open to the bed area.

My guess is it's not structural but could be wrong...

I hear all the advice on warranty concerns... TY

When it comes to the walls, how are they attached together and to the floor/ceiling? Is the wall installed with one side of the paneling removed then once in place the paneling is installed and the trim pieces put into place?

Thanks
Toy4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #11

took off door, my granddaughter ask g- maw wheres the door? she said no body can see you .
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:37 PM   #12
2012 Solera

Bathroom Wall Mod

Attached are pictures of my version - curtains open and closed, the carpeted stub wall next to bed mattress, and the curtain rods I installed.
Again, I saw nothing structural. As I remember (I did this 8 or 9 years ago), the walls were very thin plywood paneling stapled to relatively small pine boards - which I just sawed off and capped the exposed edges with thin plywood paneling.
Mine is a 2012 Solera "S", so, of course, yours may differ.

FYI, Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	259534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bthroom2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	259535   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001n.jpg