Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #1

Yet another Satellite coax question

I'm starting to think I'm the only one with 2 coax cables coming from my Directv dish. There is a coax connection in the wall behind where my TV goes. One coax connection and a 12 volt outlet in the same wall plate. I'm guessing that is either the roof antenna or for park cable TV. I have Directv that is not HD. I have 2 coax coming to my trailer from the dish and I need to mount something on the outside of the trailer to connect them to, with coax running from those connections to my satellite box. One of these coax gives me even numbered channels and the other gives me odd numbered channels. I have considered cutting through the interior wall behind my TV and on out the sheet metal exterior and mounting a dual coax wall plate on the outside of the trailer but I'm not nuts about cutting through the metal siding. I'm now considering mounting a dual coax wall plate somewhere just under the side of the trailer and coming up through the floor of the trailer under the counter my TV sits on. Please give me your thoughts on this I'm open to ideas. Brilliant ideas would be preferred.
J W Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #2

My dtv has two cables but is is for two receivers one cable for each receiver . I would go through the floor and not put a hole in the side of the rv I ran a cable from my dtv to my basement and then out but my tv is Close to the basement hope that helps have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
wwalker2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #3
Canadian Member

Others with more knowledge will probably chime in but I'd suggest you need an SW21 multi-switch to combine the odd and even stations into a single coax able. If you have a cable in hookup on the exterior of your trailer, connect the 2 cables from the dish into an SW21 switch (you can mount the switch on the dish) and then run a single RG-6 coax from the switch to the connection on your trailer.
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:06 AM   #4

That would be easy and nice but my satellite control box has 2 signal IN connections I don't know if that would work. I guess I'll call DTV and ask them. If not I have discovered that the drain lines used to winterize go up thru the floor of the trailer directly under the TV and there is room to put 3 coax thru the opening in the floor. 2 for my satellite and one for my cell phone booster.
J W Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #5

Is that a old DTV box? May be a call to DTV will help because my box only has one satellite in connection and it has to come straight from the satellite dish to the receiver with no splinters i've found that even my new 2015 wildcat Max I had to run a separate cable out to the satellite dish because they used a splitter somewhere and it wouldn't work. Well I'm in California I don't know if it's any different outside of California maybe they use two cables in put in the receivers out of the state hope this helps good luck

Sent from my IPhone
wwalker2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:51 PM   #6

Do you have the old style round dish with a newer receiver that has two inputs? If so, you have to tell the receiver when you set it for the old round dish that it only has one input. It will want to default to dual tuners but you have to choose single. It will then boot up and work on the one input. Had to fiddle with mine all weekend in October to get it working, but it does work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140929_153515.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	69519  
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite