Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #1

Don't blame me ... the younguns don't get it.

"Hey Dad," one of my kids asked the other day, "what was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?"

"We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

"It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese s! lid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 15. Before that, the only car in our family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a "machine."

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.
Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning. On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #2

Make a daily trip to the corner market in hopes of finding some bottle caps before the other kids to redeem at the local movie theater for Saturday morning double feature. Ours where Ni-High Orange, Dr. Pepper, RC Cole and sometimes even Pepsi.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #3

Oh those days....of banging the side of the TV to make the channel come in clearer and not so full of static, going to the store as a youngster to buy cigs for my parents...and uncles when they came by for a visit, Yes I had a paper route...42 papers delivered each day and when the tourists moved in during the summers up there in Maine, my delivery schedule went up to 60. I saved my newspaper money to buy my first bicycle. A lime green Schwinn 10 speed racer...$132. Put so many miles on that bike I had to have all the bearing replaced and the derailers replaced every spring. Oh the days...Mcds was a 25 mile trip to New Hampshire or a 20 mile trip to Wells. Usually once or twice a summer we could go there. A+W rootbeer drive-up stand was only 12 miles away, so that was a thing we could do more often...
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #4

I was the remote dad said change channel I got up and change the channel or turned up the volume or moved the rabbit ears or adjusted the tin foil on. All this reminds me of when by mistake told the grand baby to roll down the window. She said what roll down the window.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #5

Besides banging on the side of the TV, we were always fighting the vertical rolling of the picture. Two shows had priority, and were never missed ( Grandma's favorites ), Lawrence Welk Show & Roller Derby ( Bay Area Bombers ).

Years later, when we got our 1st color TV, we were forced to watch the news ( we were like 10 years old ), because the news was the ONLY thing on that was in color.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
I was the remote dad said change channel I got up and change the channel or turned up the volume or moved the rabbit ears or adjusted the tin foil on. All this reminds me of when by mistake told the grand baby to roll down the window. She said what roll down the window.
x2 and the cig delivery boy!