RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #81
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I've seen those signs in lots of places. Doesn't really affect me since I pay for almost everything with a card.

Funny thing is my wife and 2 daughters both work retail and say they have had no problems getting coins from the bank.
My wife just informed me that those signs are now up in both COSTCO and Fred Meyer as well. Appears only those stores with massive amounts of check-out lanes have this policy. Perhaps they don't have enough coins to stock all the cash drawers?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
On the subject of coins, has anyone else seen signs in stores referencing a "coin shortage"? So far this past week I have seen signs in Walmart, Safeway, and Carrs saying they have a coin shortage and may not be able to make change for a cash purchase. They offer you a choice at checkout:

1. Pay with exact change

2. Pay with Debit or Credit Card

3. Have your change credited to your Walmart Card or Club Card

4. Round up your purchase and donate that amount to your choice of several charities at checkout.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
I think that the idea behind this has something to do with the fact that fewer people are out & about and spending in general, and those that are out and spending are biasing toward using cards. So the people that have cash sitting at home, or in their purse or whatever, aren't circulating that cash back into the system. In other words, if I don't spend MY cash somewhere, it's not available in the system to give to YOU as change.

On the personal side, when things are normal, I travel 40-50 weeks per year in my job. Almost everything I buy is on a corporate credit card, and what few personal expenses I have, I use a debit card for. But I always try to keep $40 in my wallet, and will use it over the course of 2-3 weeks for things like tips or picking up a bottle of water at the hotel. My work travel has obviously cut way back but I've still had 5 or 6 trips in the last 6 months. Right before the lockdown started, a friend paid me back $120 that he had borrowed. I stuck it in my wallet with the $2 I had in there, and six months later I am still carrying the same $122 around.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #83

No doubt the world is transitioning to credit card moreso than cash. I, myself rarely use cash just easy and i haven't carried change in 20 yrs or more hate it in my pocket. Now the downside, hackers seem to get into credit card companies, i.e. banks constantly stealing yours and my information. Dual authentication will help but IMHO that won't really stop hackers from breaking into the companies themselves. I guess whatever way we, the consumers go it's not perfect.
Our Cocker Spaniel "Shadow" (4 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:32 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I think that the idea behind this has something to do with the fact that fewer people are out & about and spending in general, and those that are out and spending are biasing toward using cards. So the people that have cash sitting at home, or in their purse or whatever, aren't circulating that cash back into the system. In other words, if I don't spend MY cash somewhere, it's not available in the system to give to YOU as change.

On the personal side, when things are normal, I travel 40-50 weeks per year in my job. Almost everything I buy is on a corporate credit card, and what few personal expenses I have, I use a debit card for. But I always try to keep $40 in my wallet, and will use it over the course of 2-3 weeks for things like tips or picking up a bottle of water at the hotel. My work travel has obviously cut way back but I've still had 5 or 6 trips in the last 6 months. Right before the lockdown started, a friend paid me back $120 that he had borrowed. I stuck it in my wallet with the $2 I had in there, and six months later I am still carrying the same $122 around.
LOL that tells me you have no children at home. I almost stopped carrying cash... too many Dad... Can I have $20. If you ain't got it you can't have it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #85
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
LOL that tells me you have no children at home. I almost stopped carrying cash... too many Dad... Can I have $20. If you ain't got it you can't have it.
I have 2 out of 3 still at home but they are both over 18 now.

I can probably count on one hand the number of times in their lives they asked me to just give them money for something. Not that we never bought them stuff. But they just never outright asked for money.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote