Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #21
PhD, Common Sense

I tried to get change for one of my recently printed $13 bills at a general store in the middle of nowhere. The Sam Drucker lookalike asked if I wanted a 7 and a 6 or a 9 and a 4.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
My wife worked at a BK for her first job in the mid 90's. Their policy at the time was that when they first started working the register they were not allowed to let the machine tell them how much change to give back. They were required to calculate it and count it back manually.

She still works retail today and says that 99.99% of the time her register balances exactly at the end of her shift.

It's a shame businesses don't still do this. I've had cashiers literally refuse to take extra change from me if they've "already pushed the buttons on the register."
These newer registers not only show the change amount, they show pictures of the change and how many dollars and coins of each denominations

If your change was $3.58, the screen will show pics of three dollar bills, two quarters, one nickel, and three pennies

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #23
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I wish the feds would kill the penny and pick a dollar coin to standardize on. It would save us, as taxpayers, a lot, and there would still be 4 coins in common circulation to match the 4 coin bins in most cash registers.

Coin vending machines can be adjusted. Electronic and credit card payments are common, anyway.
It costs the feds 1.99 cents to mint a penny
It cost the feds 7 cents to mint a nickle

they don't make money until you get a dime.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #24
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I think there would be a problem with the various tax percentages which would always end up being nickles and pennies in the equation. So the amount would need to either be rounded up or down.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 09-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #25
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
the almost un-believable part is ONLY $3.58?

I got two single Wendy burgers today and it ONLY cost $9.09
Lol, that was my thought!
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I have not used anything but plastic since Covid struck, don't want to touch money. About the only thing we used cash for prior to that was convenience stores.
I would think that all retail stores would be happy to go cashless. No need for counting out cash drawers at the end of a shift/day, no bank deposits to make, no more mistakes making change ---------AND---------less chance of employee theft from the cash drawer (and yes, there are numerous ways to do that and leave no tracks).

For the consumer, they will always have a record of where their money went. Cash has a way of just evaporating. At least it does from my pocket

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
These newer registers not only show the change amount, they show pictures of the change and how many dollars and coins of each denominations

If your change was $3.58, the screen will show pics of three dollar bills, two quarters, one nickel, and three pennies
There is at least one store by me that has change machines that spit out the change into a little tray. The cashier just has to worry about giving back the paper money.

Sometime in the near future, the job of "cashier" will no longer exist.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
>found the $11.55 in change...plus the original $20 I gave the cashier.<
At the end of the shift the till is counted.
She probably got a warning for being short.
One of my 1st regular (as in every day) jobs was a fast food joint called Sandy's.
It turned into Hardy's later on.
And
a Jr. Bacon cheese burger and tiny fries is $3.58 with tax.
I told her to keep the change.
Honestly- I got a pack of 100 $2 bills from the bank a couple weeks ago just for spending on tips and fast food. They were brand new- sequential serial numbers.
It almost always gets a reaction.
If I'd thought of it sooner, I'd have given the girl at the window a $2 bill extra.
I get rolls of dollar coins at the bank but had to order the pack of 2s. They had them in a couple days.
It's odd that your PO balked at taking dollar coins. Our PO stamp machine gives them as change.
All the vending machines at my work, if you put in a $5 bill, buy a $1 item, you get 4 dollar coins back in change.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I would think that all retail stores would be happy to go cashless. No need for counting out cash drawers at the end of a shift/day, no bank deposits to make, no more mistakes making change ---------AND---------less chance of employee theft from the cash drawer (and yes, there are numerous ways to do that and leave no tracks).

For the consumer, they will always have a record of where their money went. Cash has a way of just evaporating. At least it does from my pocket
The only time I use cash anymore is when I get gas. That's because I get a discount of 3 cents/gallon. Literally everywhere else I use my credit card and rack up cash back bonuses.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
This math teacher has to reply. It’s in my DNA. I can’t help myself.

Instead of being down $8.45, you are up $11.55. That is $20 to the good, the twenty that they accidentally gave you back.

Another way to look at it: You have $11.55 that you did not have before buying the meal plus the meal, valued at $8.45, for a total of $20.

Yet another way to look at it: They gave you $11.55 and a meal, and took nothing from you. Therefore, they paid you $11.45 to eat the $8.45 meal, a total of $20.

In any of the above cases, you owe that BK $20. Don’t let karma collect it from you.
In the end......I still have $31.55 in my pocket.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
In the end......I still have $31.55 in my pocket.
You do realize that the employee who gave you back the original $20 bill may well have lost their job when their cash drawer came up short?

I always check my change and have handed it back a couple times suggesting that the person re-count.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #32
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
You do realize that the employee who gave you back the original $20 bill may well have lost their job when their cash drawer came up short?

I always check my change and have handed it back a couple times suggesting that the person re-count.
I think that this all goes back to Monopoly and the card that read “Bank error in your favor. Collect $200.” It helped spread the impression that errors by others can be a windfall for the recipient.

Not legally. Banks routinely (when they know of a mistake) collect the money back any way that they can. That $20 belongs to BK, not to the customer.

My wife tells the story of a member who had a couple of grand erroneously credited to their account. They withdrew all the money. The credit union discovered the mistake, and took the money out, sending the account into the negative. Ultimately, the member took out a loan to make things right.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
We had one of those two dollar bill stories not too long ago where the business didn't know there was such. Cops got called.
Wonder what the cops said when they arrived?
There is a documentary about $2 bills. It tells a story of a similar incident but it was a home supply store like Home Depot or something. They actually called the sheriff who came and arrested they guy and hauled him off to jail. Once in jail he managed to convince them to call Treasury dept who told them $2 bills were real and circulated widely. I wonder what the sheriff said when he found out....
Oh, yeah- you can stream "The Two Dollar Bill Documentary" online and it costs.... wait for it...... $1.99
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Wonder what the cops said when they arrived?
There is a documentary about $2 bills. It tells a story of a similar incident but it was a home supply store like Home Depot or something. They actually called the sheriff who came and arrested they guy and hauled him off to jail. Once in jail he managed to convince them to call Treasury dept who told them $2 bills were real and circulated widely. I wonder what the sheriff said when he found out....
Oh, yeah- you can stream "The Two Dollar Bill Documentary" online and it costs.... wait for it...... $1.99
That's hilarious about the cost. As a reminder this is a fairly light hearted thread and is in the joke section. Lets keep it fun.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
I tried to get change for one of my recently printed $13 bills at a general store in the middle of nowhere. The Sam Drucker lookalike asked if I wanted a 7 and a 6 or a 9 and a 4.
This reminds me of a true story. Four or five years ago I woke up one morning and actually remembered the dream I was having. This is pretty unusual for me, but the dream itself was odd enough (in the way that dreams can be weird but perfectly sensible in their own context) that it stuck with me.

In my dream, I went to an ATM and withdrew $300 in cash. The machine gave me six $18 bills and six $32 bills. As I turned away from the machine while counting my money, the guy behind me said "Are those the new 18s?"

When I woke up and thought about it, I couldn't decide if I was amused by the absurdity or impressed that I did the math correctly in my sleep...

When I told my wife about it she said that I should be grateful that it didn't give me 50 $6 bills!

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
This reminds me of a true story. Four or five years ago I woke up one morning and actually remembered the dream I was having. This is pretty unusual for me, but the dream itself was odd enough (in the way that dreams can be weird but perfectly sensible in their own context) that it stuck with me.

In my dream, I went to an ATM and withdrew $300 in cash. The machine gave me six $18 bills and six $32 bills. As I turned away from the machine while counting my money, the guy behind me said "Are those the new 18s?"

When I woke up and thought about it, I couldn't decide if I was amused by the absurdity or impressed that I did the math correctly in my sleep...

When I told my wife about it she said that I should be grateful that it didn't give me 50 $6 bills!
When I was in High School "in my sleep" was probably the only time I could do math correctly.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #37

Quote:
When I was in High School "in my sleep" was probably the only time I could do math correctly.
X2
Old 09-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #38

Quote:

Realize how much they lose daily.....by counterfeit money ? You'd be amazed.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #39

I had a friend, now deceased, that always had a wad of $2 bills. His contention was that the Navy Exchange gave them in change and he spent them to remind the locals how important the Navy base is to our community.

I was in the bank one day and overheard my friend at the counter asking for $2 bills. Guess he pulled a good one over on us for years.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #40
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

As a teenager I started collecting $1 bills from each federal reserve bank. just for fun,
I also started collecting $2 bills an have a "few" of them, prior to 1966.
They stopped printing them from '66 to '76.

We are a vendor at a local medieval faire (GLMF) and give current $2.00 bills and "gold" $1 coins as change to our customers -- just to keep them confused!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade