Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #61
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Many vending machines already take $1 coins. I use $1 coins in Coke machines or snack machines all the time. The $1 coins minted after the IKE dollar coins are already all the same size.

The penny's have not been copper in years......

The one cent coin is zinc with what is known as copper wash, it's like electroplating except after the zinc coins are struck they are placed in a basket which has a negative charge applied, then dipped into a tank of positive charged copper sulfate solution. The coins are agitated in baskets as they go through the wash tank. They are in the solution for only a few minutes.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #62
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
I think there would be a problem with the various tax percentages which would always end up being nickles and pennies in the equation. So the amount would need to either be rounded up or down.
That's exactly what happens in Canada. With the $1 "Loonies" and the $2 "Twoonies" as coins in wide circulation, there are no bills below $5.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Couple months ago I stopped at B.K. on the way home from work. Went drive thru, order was $8.45 or something close. Gave the gal at window a $20. Got food, drink, change....stuck change in shirt pocket and drove home. Pulled change out of pocket and found the $11.55 in change...plus the original $20 I gave the cashier. They paid me $31.55 to eat a Whopper and Fries.
$20 to eat a Whopper and BK's fries is about right.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:37 PM   #64
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
...The penny's have not been copper in years......

1981 and earlier pennies (and some 1982s) have about 2 cents worth of copper in them. Their melt value is greater than their face value.

They weigh almost 50% more than the zinc pennies.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
I tried to get change for one of my recently printed $13 bills at a general store in the middle of nowhere. The Sam Drucker lookalike asked if I wanted a 7 and a 6 or a 9 and a 4.

That’s funny right there!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:50 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
This reminds me of a true story. Four or five years ago I woke up one morning and actually remembered the dream I was having. This is pretty unusual for me, but the dream itself was odd enough (in the way that dreams can be weird but perfectly sensible in their own context) that it stuck with me.

In my dream, I went to an ATM and withdrew $300 in cash. The machine gave me six $18 bills and six $32 bills. As I turned away from the machine while counting my money, the guy behind me said "Are those the new 18s?"

When I woke up and thought about it, I couldn't decide if I was amused by the absurdity or impressed that I did the math correctly in my sleep...

When I told my wife about it she said that I should be grateful that it didn't give me 50 $6 bills!

Young in the 60s huh?
Some of that stuff has everlasting effects [emoji23][emoji23]
Old 09-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #67
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
1981 and earlier pennies (and some 1982s) have about 2 cents worth of copper in them. Their melt value is greater than their face value.

They weigh almost 50% more than the zinc pennies.

Just don't get caught trying to melt them down for scrap. It will cost you more than a "pretty penny"

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
That’s funny right there!
Ok so I'm on the edge of my seat. What did you take we're all waiting....
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #69
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Ok so I'm on the edge of my seat. What did you take we're all waiting....
A twelve and a three. Sam was upset for having taken advantage of me.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #70

Good bye penny!

Canada eliminated the penny in 2012. Don't miss it one bit. Electronic transactions are calculated to the penny and cash transactions are rounded up or down. It's very easy and convenient. We love it!
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #71

Worked at a Dodge dealership in High School (new car prep) and a guy comes in and wants a new 79 D150 pickup. He picks out truck, they start paperwork and he says he'll be back tomorrow with cash....COINS ! Salesman is...WHA ? buyer says he'll pay in full with coins the next day. Managers agree and ask if they can make a news story out of it and buyer agrees. Next day the bank the dealership does business with comes in with several coin counting machines and the local news shows up. Buyer shows up in old pickup and the back end is full of the 5 gallon jugs from water coolers and they are FULL of quarters nickels and dimes...no pennies. We brought in 5 or 6 of these jugs and they started counting. When they were done, I think he had around 6 or 7000 dollars in change. Bank bagged the coins, gave buyer paper bills, buyer paid for truck and drove off.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:39 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
$20 to eat a Whopper and BK's fries is about right.
With the wife, sometime the daughter and her two kids, we roll out of there about $32 bucks lighter.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #73
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
With the wife, sometime the daughter and her two kids, we roll out of there about $32 bucks lighter.
Holy cow, do you people not have the 2/$5 deals where you live or even the BOGO coupons they send out in the mail all the time?

I've gotten burgers and fries for 4 people for less than $20. The only other restaurant that's cheaper is Mickey D's.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
Canada eliminated the penny in 2012. Don't miss it one bit. Electronic transactions are calculated to the penny and cash transactions are rounded up or down. It's very easy and convenient. We love it!
Many people in the US would be indignant at the thought of being cheated out of those two cents, not understanding that it all evens out over time. Many would object even if they did understand, because they don't like change. (Or maybe because they do?)

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Holy cow, do you people not have the 2/$5 deals where you live or even the BOGO coupons they send out in the mail all the time?

I've gotten burgers and fries for 4 people for less than $20. The only other restaurant that's cheaper is Mickey D's.
Got a whole damn drawer full of them at work. Never remember to grab them......and then they're usually expired.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #76
D W

On the subject of coins, has anyone else seen signs in stores referencing a "coin shortage"? So far this past week I have seen signs in Walmart, Safeway, and Carrs saying they have a coin shortage and may not be able to make change for a cash purchase. They offer you a choice at checkout:

1. Pay with exact change

2. Pay with Debit or Credit Card

3. Have your change credited to your Walmart Card or Club Card

4. Round up your purchase and donate that amount to your choice of several charities at checkout.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
On the subject of coins, has anyone else seen signs in stores referencing a "coin shortage"? So far this past week I have seen signs in Walmart, Safeway, and Carrs saying they have a coin shortage and may not be able to make change for a cash purchase. They offer you a choice at checkout:

1. Pay with exact change

4. Round up your purchase and donate that amount to your choice of several charities at checkout.

Yes, I’ve seen these signs all over the place too. I’m struggling to remember, though, the last time I used cash for anything.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #78
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post

1. Pay with exact change

I've seen those signs in lots of places. Doesn't really affect me since I pay for almost everything with a card.

Funny thing is my wife and 2 daughters both work retail and say they have had no problems getting coins from the bank.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #79

How are the coin businesses operating? Laundry, car wash, coin dillies at the "county" fair?
Old 09-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
How are the coin businesses operating? Laundry, car wash, coin dillies at the "county" fair?
I have seen laundromats and even car wash places near us that use a card system now, even heard that Disney in the campgrounds use a card or even a credit card in the laundry.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote