Old 07-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #1

Have you ever been chewed out for doing a good job?

Finally had to have the windshield in my Truck replaced after 15 years.

Decided to go out and clean the rest of the windows and it reminded me of a time when I got my butt severely chewed upon for doing what I thought was a great job.

Goes back to my Senior Year in High School and I used to work in a gas station in afternoons and weekends. This was back in the day when we didn't just pump gas and take money, we cleaned windows, checked oil/water, tire pressures, and if there was time we'd even sweep off the floor mats with a whisk broom carried in our back pockets.

One day we had an older gentleman who parked his early 50's chevy at the pump and said "fill 'er with regular". He then proceeded to head for the rest room.

I filled, checked, cleaned windshield, swept out, and finished filling. Owner hadn't come back yet and I noticed his driver's side window looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the car left the factory.

Being a young guy who wanted to make a good impression I proceeded to go to work with squirt bottle and blue towel(s). Took some time but I finally got the window nice and clean. Others looked pretty good so I left them.

Customer returned from the rest room, paid for his gas, then left. I was feeling good.

About 10-15 minutes later the guy returned and stormed out of his car heading straight for me. Shouting he said "DON'T YOU EVER CLEAN THAT DOOR WINDOW AGAIN!" while pointing vigorously at it. ( I left out some of the more colorful words he used for emphasis)

I walked over and saw a huge brown glop of gooey stuff right in the middle of the window, running down on the inside.

He then proceeded to tell me that the clean window looked like it was open and he spit his chew out of it.

I apologized. cleaned up the mess, and trust me, NEVER cleaned that window again. Still makes me chuckle to this day.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
Gold Tee Box

Mike,

This reminds me of lots of days when I was pumping gas back in the late 60's.

It was full service whether they wanted it or not, fuel, windows, air in their tires, check the oil, and even give them a complimentary box of cleanex!

We had one customer who would come in for $1.00 of gas, and "fill up the oil", (bulk oil of course)!
60+ campgrounds/400+ nights, 20K+ Miles towing since 2015
Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Finally had to have the windshield in my Truck replaced after 15 years.

Decided to go out and clean the rest of the windows and it reminded me of a time when I got my butt severely chewed upon for doing what I thought was a great job.

Goes back to my Senior Year in High School and I used to work in a gas station in afternoons and weekends. This was back in the day when we didn't just pump gas and take money, we cleaned windows, checked oil/water, tire pressures, and if there was time we'd even sweep off the floor mats with a whisk broom carried in our back pockets.

One day we had an older gentleman who parked his early 50's chevy at the pump and said "fill 'er with regular". He then proceeded to head for the rest room.

I filled, checked, cleaned windshield, swept out, and finished filling. Owner hadn't come back yet and I noticed his driver's side window looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the car left the factory.

Being a young guy who wanted to make a good impression I proceeded to go to work with squirt bottle and blue towel(s). Took some time but I finally got the window nice and clean. Others looked pretty good so I left them.

Customer returned from the rest room, paid for his gas, then left. I was feeling good.

About 10-15 minutes later the guy returned and stormed out of his car heading straight for me. Shouting he said "DON'T YOU EVER CLEAN THAT DOOR WINDOW AGAIN!" while pointing vigorously at it. ( I left out some of the more colorful words he used for emphasis)

I walked over and saw a huge brown glop of gooey stuff right in the middle of the window, running down on the inside.

He then proceeded to tell me that the clean window looked like it was open and he spit his chew out of it.

I apologized. cleaned up the mess, and trust me, NEVER cleaned that window again. Still makes me chuckle to this day.

That reminds me of an old gentleman bachelor we knew. He bought a new car every year and the dealership had to deliver it. Dealer had problems getting someone to drive the last year car back to town. Tobacco juice was 3 inches thick in the drivers floor. The old gent did not want tobacco juice running down the side of his car so he used the floorboard. Yep, he was eccentric and rich so got what he wanted back in those days.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:40 PM   #4

I was a service station attendant (pump jockey) at the Mills College 76 station on MacArthur Blvd in Oakland Ca in 1969. There was no self-serve in those days.
At the fine age of 17, I was making a $1.65/hr pumping leaded fuel, washing windows, checking air and checking oil when cars filled up for just over $3.00. I also handed out Blue Chip stamps and glassware when there was a gas war.
In pulls a black 1968 Corvette with a cool guy driving it. I was in awe, this was my dream car and I get to put gas in it! His top was down as I removed the cap on the center rear-deck as I inserted the non-vapor recovery nonsense nozzle. Remember the Corvette from that era has a wide-mouth tank opening that allows quick filling during a race.
I was in day-dream land when the worst thing happened, the nozzle slipped out of the tank and began to dispense Hi-Test ethyl all over the very cool black leather interior and loop weave carpet. I quicky fumbled the nozzle and attempted to shut it off but the gas kept flowing for what seems like minutes.
The look on my face must have frightened the Corvette driver into thinking that I was about to commit suicide over my capital punishment crime.
He took my apology better than I thought without rearranging my nose to the left side of my face.
One of those moments in life you never forget.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Good stories. I, too, pumped gas for summer and holiday $ in the mid 70s. I had so much fun with the steam cleaner. Hunters would come in with 4x4 trucks jacked up and covered with mud. It'd take me 2 hours to get the mud off and out of the trucks then wash it out to the sewer drains. (Yeah, we did that .)
But I didn't care. I was getting $2.20/hour for playing with power equipment. Beat checking oil and air psi any day.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:33 PM   #6

My great grandfather did the clean window spit. Also ran through the picket fence yelling whoa and pulling on the steering wheel - family's first car
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #7

When I was 16, day before yesterday (Now 70), I did the gas jockey thing at a station as a fill-in for my best buddy on night. A couple of soldiers pulled up to the pump and the guy ordered the car to be filled with Ethel (Remember that?). Well, I put the gas nozzle into the car and ran around wiping windows and doing the dust off to the floorboard and all with my small dust broom. I was happy as a lark with my service until I realized that i had put in regular gas instead of Ethel to fill the tank. I told the guy and expected to be cussed out for my boo boo. He just looked up at me from the driver's seat and smiled as he said, "Drain it." I was flabbergasted, as I had no clue as to how to go about draining his tank. He laughed and then drove off. He had been kidding with me, but to be all honest, I was dumb enough to have actually started siphoning gas if he had been serious. After all these years I still think about how lucky I was to not do that job very long, as I knew two different teens who ended up being shot during robberies for just a couple of dollars. It was not a job without danger out on that lonely highway back then.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #8

At a previous job, I was formally reprimanded for not taking long enough of a lunch break...

Excuse me? I came back 5 or 6 minutes early so I could keep working?! To finish YOUR deadlines?!

I turned my keys in that day. It was the proverbial straw.
UGACamper is offline   Reply With Quote