Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #21
Mod free 5er

Modern parents just buy their kids everything and turn them loose on society, no manners, respect, moral codes and teach them that "I deserve every thing and shouldn't have to work or do anything." Society owes me everything.

Seeing a mannerly person under the age of 30 is a rarity.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Video games, by definition, must include a screen of some sort or they aren't a video game...
Maybe by your definition

Just like the pound sign is becoming the hashtag what ever that is.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Maybe by your definition

Well, it's not my definition... it's Merriam-Webster's.

I am curious though. What did you used to play that you are calling a video game?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Modern parents just buy their kids everything and turn them loose on society, no manners, respect, moral codes and teach them that "I deserve every thing and shouldn't have to work or do anything." Society owes me everything.

Makes ya want to be around when those thirty-something's have their own kids. That is when the chickens will come home to roost.

As far as manners go, I'd say their parents did not have any either.

In my circumstances, the DW constantly reminds me to control my tone of voice when dealing with the 6 year old grand daughter (aka Ms. Attitude). I keep explaining to the DW, that she needs to learn about me. My answers are consistent and that showing me your displeasure/attitude gains nothing. She already burned up the being "Cute" routine with me trying to get her way. (She is a real "Social Engineer")

I love her to death but she is the opposite of her 8 year old brother. He wants to help and take-over whatever task you are doing.

I always have a cheerful/anguished smile when the parents come to take them back home.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #25

Quote:

I'm afraid I would have to agree with you that a lot of modern parents were raised "entiteld" as so they think their kids should be too. It's a generation of losers raising a secound generation of losers; however, mot all parents take part in the "entitlement" belief.

I have an eight year old girl and a ten year old boy. No television at all in the house and if they are on a computer it is when they are doing school work. I grew up without TV or video games, they can too. If they "want" something beyond basic necessitys they have to earn it. My ten year old is responsible for mowing the lawn and he does it without being asked because he knows he will be paid (cash) for his work. Meanwhile my neighbor pays a gardener while is 26 year old son stays home all day playing video games.

I also try my best to teach them to respect other people and understand they are just a part of the world not the center of it.
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaz3 View Post
I'm afraid I would have to agree with you that a lot of modern parents were raised "entiteld" as so they think their kids should be too. It's a generation of losers raising a secound generation of losers; however, mot all parents take part in the "entitlement" belief.

I have an eight year old girl and a ten year old boy. No television at all in the house and if they are on a computer it is when they are doing school work. I grew up without TV or video games, they can too. If they "want" something beyond basic necessitys they have to earn it. My ten year old is responsible for mowing the lawn and he does it without being asked because he knows he will be paid (cash) for his work. Meanwhile my neighbor pays a gardener while his 26 year old son stays home all day playing video games.

I also try my best to teach them to respect other people and understand they are just a part of the world not the center of it.
My hat is off to you sir! You are a rarity and should be proud of you and your wife for raising your children rather than just providing a roof, clothing, toys and food. God Bless you and your family. They will be winners like their parents.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #27

Quote:
I don't think the under 30 demographic got the monopoly on rudeness. I have encountered many seniors with the same propensity to rudeness.

And BTW, I owned one of these in my childhood.
Attached Images

2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Maybe by your definition

Technically, that's an 'octothorp'...........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
And BTW, I owned one of these in my childhood.
Aw Man, I had forgotten about those telstars. Wow, that brings back memories....now.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Well, it's not my definition... it's Merriam-Webster's.

I am curious though. What did you used to play that you are calling a video game?

The mind is like a computer and the eyes can video anything and store it in the memory that takes imagination..... The kids of today do not seem to have............ A flashlight, or anything that produces an image can be part of the game. Video games have ruined many kids and made them lazy, all kids no, but many........

Do you still have imagination???? Hope so.............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 05-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Technically, that's an 'octothorp'...........

Whats an octothorp ???

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 05-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Whats an octothorp ???

Here are three ###
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 05-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #33

I see..........

Number sign
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

number sign, pound, hash, octothorpe #

This is an article on the symbol #. It is most commonly known as a number sign, hash,[1] or pound sign.[2] Other names include octothorpe and hashtag.[3] The symbol is used for a variety of purposes, including the designation of a number (for example, "#1" stands for "number one"), an abbreviation for pounds avoirdupois in the food industry, a searchable metadata tag on social media platforms,[4] and a button on telephone keypads. The symbol is defined in Unicode as U+0023 # NUMBER SIGN (HTML # · as in ASCII).

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 05-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #34

I am intensely consumed with information and knowledge that is of no value whatsoever in the real world, and totally void of meaningful skills or abilities!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:

The mind is like a computer and the eyes can video anything and store it in the memory that takes imagination..... The kids of today do not seem to have............ A flashlight, or anything that produces an image can be part of the game. Video games have ruined many kids and made them lazy, all kids no, but many........

Do you still have imagination???? Hope so.............
Ahh... I get you now.

I'm part of Gen X but just barely. I'm a little bit of a tweener. I had some electronics in my childhood, but they didn't completely rule my life. I had a TV and video games. The internet came along when I was about 15 or so. Cell phones a few years later.

But I still spent many days playing outside with my friends. Football, baseball, kickball, climbing trees, a few games were we just made up the rules as we went along. We definitely had a lot of fun not staring at a screen.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I don't think the under 30 demographic got the monopoly on rudeness. I have encountered many seniors with the same propensity to rudeness.
Maybe they are just returning what was dished out! When you get older, your tolerance levels drop.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Maybe they are just returning what was dished out!
or vice versa...
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 05-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #38

My childhood only had three channels that went off air at 11:30pm and you didn't hang around the house or come home to complain about something your friend did during the day because your mom put you to work. You had friends all over the neighborhood and knew all of their parents who would call your mother if you did anything wrong, so you didn't. You were home before it got dark OR ELSE.

Not so bad in the scheme of things.
MacGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #39

Quote:

My DIL is 30 she teaches high school. You would not believe the stories she tells. She has one girl who thinks she is a rabbit.......... I told her she needs to write some of the stories down would make a unbelievable book. Some would really surprise you the other way too though...............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 05-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #40

My cousin Lisa is a 4th grade teacher in NY and for a whole week one of her students claimed he was from a foreign country and couldn't understand English. He would get up in class, walk around and even leave sometimes because he could not understand the teacher telling him to sit and behave. He didn't do any work and even skipped a test because he "couldn't read the language". Lisa gave him a failing grade for the week but when the parents found out and complained, the school officials had her expunge the whole week from his grades so it wouldn't bring down his overall score.

What's wrong with society today? Back in the day if I had pulled that, my grades would be the least of my worries once my parents found out.
MacGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications