Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 10:48 AM   #2021
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Maybe he took it out because it annoyed him. He just blamed the wife because he forgot to bring it with him for the tire service.

People always tend to blame the other person who isn't there so they don't have to admit it was their dumb mistake.
Bingo!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #2022
RV There Yet?

Nah, we would never blame anyone for our own mistakes!
Old 08-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Maybe he took it out because it annoyed him. He just blamed the wife because he forgot to bring it with him for the tire service.

People always tend to blame the other person who isn't there so they don't have to admit it was their dumb mistake.
I think this is the correct answer.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Okaaay, that was a different story as told by the customer. Not sure if was the truth or projecting. You be the judge

Had a guy come wanting a tire on his driver front. When I went to remove the wheel, he had a anti theft spline type locking lug nut on one lug. When I asked him for the tool to it which he could not find, he blamed it on the wife. He said she took it out, because it was rolling around in the console and it bothered her.

Thought that was a very odd story that could have been solved by puting it in the glove box or something. He left, but did come in short order with the tool.

What do ya think?

Probably more like.....she took it out, told him EXACTLY where she put it so it wouldn't make noise but, since he wasn't really listening he couldn't remember where she put it!

Funny thing is, I get blamed a lot for the same "inattentiveness" myself!

Fact that he returned in short order proves he either remembered on the way home or he didn't live far & DW knew exactly where it was......of course!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #2025

Worked in a Goodyear tire store way back in the 1960's for a few years. They often sold tires stamped "FARM USE ONLY" for farm hay trailers, etc. Sold alot of them and not uncommon for people to want them mounted on their vehicle .. the prices were cheap. Of course, we were prevented from doing so.
Actually it wasn't uncommon to see some of those buyers come in at a later date for a service, and lifting the vehicle on the hoist, to notice they have "FARM USE ONLY" tires on their car/pickup. They just had them mounted someplace else.
I'm sure their vehicle insurance company wouldn't pay a claim if they were in an wreck.
No idea if they still sell FARM USE ONLY tires or "BLEMS"
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:19 PM   #2026
Site Team

I came this close to grandma taking me to the woodshed.

I had a woman call me up on the phone, and the first thing she asked, was I the owner...which I confirmed. Shen then asked what did I want to tell her about Grambling. OK, this took me off guard and I asked what did she mean.

She then told me her granddaughter told her, I had something to tell her about Grambling college. I explained that this is a tire store and she may have the wrong place. She reiterates that she has the right place and what did I want to tell her about Grambling.

I'm at a complete loss now, and think she must be on some medication or something. We kind of go back and forth for a bit, both getting more and more frustrated with one another. I tell her that her granddaughter must be confused, and this is when grandma lit into me. She told me her GD was the best person and not a liar. I told her I didn't call her a liar, but just said she was confused (all the time thinking to myself that grandma may be off her rocker). She then told me she would come down there and straighten me out if I called her grandbaby a liar again. I reiterated I wasn't calling anybody a liar.

I'm just about to go ahead and hang up on her when she mentions her granddaughter got tires from me last week.......then it all hit me. Total recall

Her granddaughter had gotten a set of tires from me. Her dad actually had her drop it off along with her mom's car, and we put tires on both. I had noticed she had a Grambling State University (a local university about 35 miles from me) vanity plate on the front of her car. When she came back to pick the vehicle up, I asked her if she went to Grambling. She said she didn't and had gotten the car from her grandmother who did go there. The reason I was asking is I have a Magnum P.I 80's television show trivia thing I sometimes use to start small talk with customers who I know go to Grambling. I asked the granddaughter if she had ever watched the show, but she also said no to this too. I then told her too bad, as I had a good story about it and Grambling. I left it at that, and forgot about it really. Never thought she would relay the conversation to her grandma......nor that grandma would threaten to take me to the woodshed.

Now that grandma had refreshed my obviously bad memory, I apologized and told her I did have a story to tell her, which I relayed. We both laughed and she thanked me for it. WHEW!!!! This could have been real ugly....... for me.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #2027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
Worked in a Goodyear tire store way back in the 1960's for a few years. They often sold tires stamped "FARM USE ONLY" for farm hay trailers, etc. Sold alot of them and not uncommon for people to want them mounted on their vehicle .. the prices were cheap. Of course, we were prevented from doing so.
Actually it wasn't uncommon to see some of those buyers come in at a later date for a service, and lifting the vehicle on the hoist, to notice they have "FARM USE ONLY" tires on their car/pickup. They just had them mounted someplace else.
I'm sure their vehicle insurance company wouldn't pay a claim if they were in an wreck.
No idea if they still sell FARM USE ONLY tires or "BLEMS"
Blems were different than FARM USE or Implement Use Only tires. They met all standards for highway use, they usually had cosmetic issues like uneven whitewalls or similar. They often had severly limited or NO warranty. Rather than trash these rejects they merely branded them as blems.

Tires that didnt meet spec for road service went to the farm implement market.

We sold all our BLEMS through a single store in the heart of farm country. Not in our metropolitan stores.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #2028

Quote:
Okaaay, that was a different story as told by the customer. Not sure if was the truth or projecting. You be the judge

Had a guy come wanting a tire on his driver front. When I went to remove the wheel, he had a anti theft spline type locking lug nut on one lug. When I asked him for the tool to it which he could not find, he blamed it on the wife. He said she took it out, because it was rolling around in the console and it bothered her.

Thought that was a very odd story that could have been solved by puting it in the glove box or something. He left, but did come in short order with the tool.

What do ya think?

Make a statement like... Crap. I guess we took it out. I will go get t.

I learned a lesson 20+ years ago. If you are the man of the house... everything that happens is YOUR responsibility. Wife drains the checking account. Make it right. Son breaks a window. Make it right.
Now the next manly/fatherly thing is to manage your house and all it’s people.

If you are the business owner or even the manager... all things at the business are your responsibility. Deal with the problems and consequences as they occur as it is your responsibility.

I am not explaining in detail, but you get the picture.

Griping about your family or employees will not make you a man.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #2029

Must have been a quiet Monday at the tire shop.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #2030
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Must have been a quiet Monday at the tire shop.

It was very busy, as I had to run it all by myself. Hired a new young guy yesterday to start this morning at 8AM. He didn't show.

Maybe one of my pre-screening questions resonated with him.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #2031

Maybe today is his birthday[emoji2]

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:34 PM   #2032

Maybe he is taking his first personal day.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #2033
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Maybe he is taking his first personal day.

and his last.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:58 PM   #2034

Quote:
and his last.
Was it the walk up that was telling you how much of a salary he had to get for your privilege of hiring him?

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #2035
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Was it the walk up that was telling you how much of a salary he had to get for your privilege of hiring him?

I believe it was either the fact you have to be at work at 8AM...or pass a drug test.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:35 PM   #2036

Am I the only one?

Seriously - nobody else wants to hear the Grambling/Magnum PI story?
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:44 PM   #2037
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickY View Post
Seriously - nobody else wants to hear the Grambling/Magnum PI story?

LOL. If you watched the show then you know that Magnum's friend T.C. (his helicopter pilot friend) was played by the actor Roger E. Mosley.

In real life, Roger received his degree from Grambling State University.

He was able to play that into the show, and would sometimes wear a Grambling shirt on the show. They even had dialogue that his T.C. character went to Grambling. That's how I found this out several years ago as I was watching an episode.

For those who may have the series, you can check out season 3 episode 15 "Basket case" and Season 5 episode 2 "Echoes of the Mind Part 2" and see/hear this.

I was part of another group one time that we had a forum thread of trivia, for things like this, where we would ask questions and see if the members could figure it out. Learned a lot of things there.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #2038

thank you wmtire, although I thought the story would be far more entertaining.

I watched the show back in the day, but I never paid that much attention to the attire - back then I was more into the plot and "action".

I now watch the new version - and I have to say, Higgins looks a heck of a lot better in this version.
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #2039
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Maybe today is his birthday[emoji2]
My daughter will be starting a new job on Friday which is also her birthday.

She had planned on taking it off from her old job but with the 2-week notice, it just didn't work out.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #2040

Quote:
I was part of another group one time that we had a forum thread of trivia, for things like this, where we would ask questions and see if the members could figure it out. Learned a lot of things there.

And just how much have you increased your tax liability based on the increased knowledge???

I remember a Married with Children episode. The daughter had a great memory but had limited volume. She got on a sports trivia show. She had crammed until steam came out of her ears. The final question was who got the winning touch down at a high school game. She had forgotten it was her dad!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire

« cute joke(s) | - »