Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #261

In defense of the caller, while learning to use communications equipment we were taught to use individual numbers.

Various accents really are hard to understand with phrases like hundred fifty three. Or one, five , three. A ton and a half or 3000 pounds.

As an engineer in the field I often talked on the phone with design engineers. Much easier to understand single numbers only.

But, it is interesting the lack of math understanding of today’s youth. I find myself helping cashiers often with their mistakes. Too often. ‘
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #262

I always liked

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't"

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #263
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
But, it is interesting the lack of math understanding of today’s youth. I find myself helping cashiers often with their mistakes. Too often. ‘
It's shocking really. They simply rely on computers to tell them exactly what to do with no thinking involved. I've heard kids today actually say "Why do I need to learn math when I have a calculator on my phone?"

One time I tried to give extra change to a cashier after she had already entered in the total so I would get an even amount back. She couldn't do it because in her words she had "already pushed the button". My wife literally LOL'd and walked away shaking her head.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #264
Canadian Member

I'm sure the lady in this case doesn't understand what the numbers mean and to her its just a code like a zip code number. If you have time you could teach her what the numbers mean.

Similarly, the cashier who has to make change has not been trained how to make change. They only understand that they have to give the customer the change that the till tells them they are owed. If you teach them to count up to the amount of cash you're given, they'll understand it better. BTW, people still use cash?!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:06 PM   #265
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
In defense of the caller, while learning to use communications equipment we were taught to use individual numbers.

Various accents really are hard to understand with phrases like hundred fifty three. Or one, five , three. A ton and a half or 3000 pounds.

As an engineer in the field I often talked on the phone with design engineers. Much easier to understand single numbers only.

If you look at a tire size as written on a sidewall, it is in numeric form. I have to assume she wrote it the same way.

If you can see 17, as one seven but cannot see it as seventeen, then that's when you get discussed on the Mondays at the tire shop thread. [emoji3]

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
BTW, people still use cash?!
Was at Menards last night to grab some fittings to put in a replacement water heater for the S&B. Taking advantage of the current 11% rebate on everything. Ahead of me a couple bought a new water heater. Paid cash for it.

I finished my purchase, pulled the receipt off the printer and stuffed it in the bag, grabbed a rebate form and headed home. When I got home, I discovered I had my receipt and the one from the couple ahead of me!

By leaving the receipt, the couple ahead of me cannot claim the rebate. Because they paid cash they may not be able to do a return or swap either because they can't reprint it (you can reprint credit card purchases but don't get the tab for rebates).

So they walked away from more than $50...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #267

Quote:
I'm sure the lady in this case doesn't understand what the numbers mean and to her its just a code like a zip code number. If you have time you could teach her what the numbers mean.

Similarly, the cashier who has to make change has not been trained how to make change. They only understand that they have to give the customer the change that the till tells them they are owed. If you teach them to count up to the amount of cash you're given, they'll understand it better. BTW, people still use cash?!
Worked in a restaurant where they had cashiers for years. The interview was mostly math and making change in your head.

We found that those that could make change in their head would often skim once cameras were installed they were caught....those that couldn't may have drawers off by a few cents every so often but could not skim [emoji20]
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:02 PM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
There are some people that just have to have numbers read to them in a specific way for them to get it right in their brain.

I know one person where if I say 1,500 as "fifteen hundred" instead of "one-thousand five hundred" they get mixed up.

Then there are the cashiers where it completely blows their mind if you give them some amount of change that's different from the total. Like if the total is $15.56 and I hand them $16.06 they have no idea what change to give me until the machine tells them what to do.

Run into the same thing at a local McDonald's. Gave the girl $20.35 on a $15.35 bill. She stood there looking at the change drawer. I told her she owed me $5, she didn't believe me so she called her supervisor, she didn't know what to do either. I told her she owed me $5, she grabbed a $5 handed it to me and said Thank You and I'm sorry. Just shook my head!!!!

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #269
Canadian Member

Give the kids a break, guys. Kids in our day couldn't just do it without being taught either. We weren't taught how to make change in school - not that I recall anyway. If they're good enough to be trusted to be on a cash register, they'll know the simple math and the coin denominations and can be taught how it works and how to count up. Yes, they live in world where they rely heavily on their gadgets but if we teach them how to do it, they'll have no problem. If they're taught to rely on the machine - either expressly in their training, or because of a lack of proper training - that's exactly what they'll do.

Just like with RVs, we were all newbies once!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #270
Site Team

Quote:
Give the kids a break, guys. Kids in our day couldn't just do it without being taught either. We weren't taught how to make change in school - not that I recall anyway. If they're good enough to be trusted to be on a cash register, they'll know the simple math and the coin denominations and can be taught how it works and how to count up. Yes, they live in world where they rely heavily on their gadgets but if we teach them how to do it, they'll have no problem. If they're taught to rely on the machine - either expressly in their training, or because of a lack of proper training - that's exactly what they'll do.

Just like with RVs, we were all newbies once!
Some of it likely is bad training as a lot of these places are being run by kids that are barely out of HS themselves. But still, it's just basic grade school level math with 3, 4 or 5 digit numbers.

I remember doing all sorts of math problems using money when I was a kid in school. It's a really easy way to introduce fractions as well.

Don't schools still use worksheets like these anymore?

Old 12-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #271
Site Team

I can still remember taking accounting in high school. Doing interest and amortization tables taught me how many days are in each month (our teacher showed us the knuckle trick). I know those by heart because of that class.

Also took a business math class in high school, where we filled out tax forms, balanced checkbooks, etc. I think all kids should have to take that one.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #272
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I can still remember taking accounting in high school. Doing interest and amortization tables taught me how many days are in each month (our teacher showed us the knuckle trick). I know those by heart because of that class.

Also took a business math class in high school, where we filled out tax forms, balanced checkbooks, etc. I think all kids should have to take that one.
In our HS we have a required class called "consumer education". My wife and I took it when we were in school and my daughters have all had to take it as well.

We were taught the same things. Tax forms, checkbooks, etc... Although we as parents have also stepped in to help teach our kids some of this stuff as well. For some reason the things they learn in class don't always stick.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #273

My almost 18yr old grandson started working in a tire shop last month. He is already coming home with crazy stories of the stuff he encounters on a daily basis. I know the manager is giving him a trial by fire introduction to the business. They do it all from cars, light trucks, heavy trucks, farm tractors and specialty mining equipment.

The kid is a high school drop out and not dumb but has no real life experience. He is eager and a quick learner but he can do some stupid stuff. I'm just trying to get him set up in life and out on his own but every day is a lesson he has to learn.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #274
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
My almost 18yr old grandson started working in a tire shop last month. He is already coming home with crazy stories of the stuff he encounters on a daily basis. I know the manager is giving him a trial by fire introduction to the business. They do it all from cars, light trucks, heavy trucks, farm tractors and specialty mining equipment.

The kid is a high school drop out and not dumb but has no real life experience. He is eager and a quick learner but he can do some stupid stuff. I'm just trying to get him set up in life and out on his own but every day is a lesson he has to learn.
I'm sure he is going to have a lot of stories. I just got a new one a few minutes ago. Had an older man ride up here on a bicycle. He was (I think) asking me prices on changing out tires, and fixing flats on a van...supposedly down the road.

I gave him estimates based on his incoherent questions and ramblings. He then starts hollering at me and cursing me, which I still don't know why unless he has mental issues. I walk off, and he then starts fussing at my employee.

I walk back out, and this guy then wants me to air up his bicycle tires. I politely refuse and point to an air compressor across the street at the convenience store. He then starts cursing again and peddles off.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #275
Site Team

My employee came and got me, said the guy just came back in front of us. I snapped a picClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181205_100608.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	192650

Old 12-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #276

He wants free air. You have to pay for air at the convenience store!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #277
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
He wants free air. You have to pay for air at the convenience store!
I can count on one hand the number of times I've paid for air at a gas station or convenience store.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #278
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Tell him to drop it (the bike) off and you'll get to it maybe tomorrow.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #279
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Tell him to drop it (the bike) off and you'll get to it maybe tomorrow.
... or tell him to take it to CW!
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #280

I was at a Hy-Vee (grocery store) once and was getting some pop priced matched, I bought 16 12 packs, another store had them 4 for 10 dollars, the clerk tried to figure it out and was having trouble so I told her what the difference was per 12 pack and the difference for 4 of them, she still couldn't figure it out, she called on manager over who couldn't figure it out even with a calculator, that manager called another manager over who couldn't figure it out with a calculator, now mind you I figured this out in my head, so in the end the last manager said just give them this much off (don't remember the dollar amount), my wife looked at me and I just said let it go I'm done trying to explain it, so instead of getting the 12 pack for $2.50 each we got them for $1.58 each, I wish I would have bought 50 of them. It wasn't rocket science, I was just amazed at what just took place.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire

« cute joke(s) | - »