Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #1481

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
wmtire - after seeing what you see everyday and the condition of some of those vehicles, I don't know how you get on the road and drive home each night!!!!
#ignoranceisbliss

It's easy. Just get in car/truck, fasten seat belt, turn up radio so you don't hear grinding sounds from other's brakes and then just drive home.

I used to do it every night and I figured that the odds were in my favor. Cars like this don't go very far after you see them in this condition.

Can't count the times I've seen vented rotors in Dealer's shops that were worn so far the actual pistons in the calipers were riding on the vent ribs. The whole face of the rotor had worn away.

In reality the brakes often work real good. Full Metalic brake's friction improves as they get hot. Just don't last long.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:41 PM   #1482
Haulin' Toys

So a bearing somewhere has let go..not big enough to be the wheel bearing, but I am gonna bet that he has some pretty loose steering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I hear you and told him the same. Had I noticed this at the beginning, I probably would have passed on the changeover. We did his rear tires first, and my guy was putting this last tire back on when he alerted me to it.

He had these aftermarket reverse mount 20 inch wheels, that he was extremely concerned didn't get scratched. Earlier, When my guy took off his other front tire center cap, he heard something rattling in the cap, but didn't see anything once the cap was removed. After the customer left, we found three small ball bearings on the shop floor in the same vicinity. Trying to figure out where they came from. They were about the size of a BB.
iflyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:21 PM   #1483
Site Team

I'm just venting here, as this is just a bad ending to a bad day at work. Ya may find humor in my misfortunes though. I came home to try to mow a creek bottom on our property that has been too wet to mow all year

As I'm mowing I see a black snake slithering from the creek bottom towards my mom's house. I head it off and see it's a water moccasin. I'm debating trying to kill it with the mower but decide with my luck, it'll just get kicked up on me, so I herd it back into the creek.

On my next pass, near where the snake had disappeared, I go under some tree limbs and something hits me in the head/hat. I can see what looks like a snakes tail coming over the bill of my cap.

It's a blur after that. Evidently I came off the lawnmower at some point, but don't remember doing so. I was running and at the same time trying to get the cap/snake off my head. I felt my hand touch the snake and saw it fall to the ground.

Well, lucky for me it wasn't a snake after all, it was a humongous frog. He took off after hitting the ground.

After I caught my breath and pulled the now tattered remains of my underwear back out from you know where... I got back on the mower to finish up.

I kept thinking about that water moccasin and every time I got near the bottom, I was looking for it. I was actually looking so hard, I didn't see it again till I ran over it with the lawnmower about five minutes later. He came out in a different spot and I hit him by accident this time.

That was enough stress for me. I will finish up mowing tomorrow.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #1484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Dang, I miss Benny Hill.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #1485

Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I got the set of VHS tapes when they were out about 15 years ago. I cant remember, there must be 10-12 tapes, at least 2 hrs long each. Now that we have a blu-ray player I probably dont even have a way to play them. Dang, now I am missing Benny Hill.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:09 PM   #1486
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinh View Post
I got the set of VHS tapes when they were out about 15 years ago. I cant remember, there must be 10-12 tapes, at least 2 hrs long each. Now that we have a blu-ray player I probably dont even have a way to play them. Dang, now I am missing Benny Hill.
FYI, there are companies that will convert those VHS tapes to DVD. I believe Walmart offers such a service. They are not expensive. Also if you have a VHS player there are cables and software you can purchase and do the conversion yourself.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:27 PM   #1487
Just as confused as you

Quote:

<snip>

Well, lucky for me it wasn't a snake after all, it was a humongous frog. He took off after hitting the ground.

<snip>

DW can relate to that. Last summer after sunset we were sitting by the campfire and she was in her chair when a tree frog jumped from the tubing on the back of the chair and landed onto her neck. She screamed and jumped out of her chair. Me, never laughed so hard before in my life.

What I find interesting is we always have tree frogs on our tt.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:39 PM   #1488
Site Team

Mondays at the tire shop

Quote:
I'm just venting here, as this is just a bad ending to a bad day at work. Ya may find humor in my misfortunes though. I came home to try to mow a creek bottom on our property that has been too wet to mow all year

As I'm mowing I see a black snake slithering from the creek bottom towards my mom's house. I head it off and see it's a water moccasin. I'm debating trying to kill it with the mower but decide with my luck, it'll just get kicked up on me, so I herd it back into the creek.

On my next pass, near where the snake had disappeared, I go under some tree limbs and something hits me in the head/hat. I can see what looks like a snakes tail coming over the bill of my cap.

It's a blur after that. Evidently I came off the lawnmower at some point, but don't remember doing so. I was running and at the same time trying to get the cap/snake off my head. I felt my hand touch the snake and saw it fall to the ground.

After I caught my breath and pulled the now tattered remains of my underwear back out from you know where... I got back on the mower to finish up.

I kept thinking about that water moccasin and every time I got near the bottom, I was looking for it. I was actually looking so hard, I didn't see it again till I ran over it with the lawnmower about five minutes later. He came out in a different spot and I hit him by accident this time.

Here’s a visual for your story.

Name:   IMG_4170.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  45.1 KB

A few water moccasins looking to dry off at Lake Texoma just now (2015). Lake overflowing and covering all but floating boats.

I guess there’s too much water even for the Devil’s pet!!! This was taken at Lake Texoma this week, now you see why I won’t swim in lakes.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #1489
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Snakes.....it had to be snakes!

(Indiana Jones)
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:27 AM   #1490
Mopar Guy

I'm having a panic attack just thinking about it. Not much scares me. Snakes... right from the devil herself
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #1491

Snakes.........

Very dangerous.

You go first.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #1492
Director, FROG

Quote:
You are welcome. [emoji3]

I was going to link to a YouTube video of it, but thought it would be too obvious then as what I was doing.
OK, Bobby, this is war!

WARNING: Everyone else close your eyes and cover your ears!

"It's a small world, after all ..."

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #1493
Site Team

Woohoo, AntWoman is back and is buying four new tires that I quoted the other day.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #1494
Mopar Guy

Quote:
Woohoo, AntWoman is back and is buying four new tires that I quoted the other day.
Thinking id use a jack and do those tires outside of your shop...
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #1495
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
Thinking id use a jack and do those tires outside of your shop...
Lol. We are about to be finished on it. The tires we pulled off are only 12 years old.

I'm leaned on the tire changer watching my guy torque everything. I have a can of ant spray at the ready if necessary.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #1496

Quote:

No matter how stressful your day was, just think what kind of day the snake ended up having

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:11 PM   #1497
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
The snake’s day was cut short!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:07 AM   #1498
Site Team

When I got to work this morning, there was a couple of my good customers awaiting me. They had one of their cars towed up here last night after a tire blowout. They were telling me how the tow truck driver had scraped and tore up stuff on her front bumper. She had some kind of roadside warranty, that actually paid for her tire that blew out, and it took a few phone calls, but the customer was happy.

They bought a whole set of new tires and paid for them, while their roadside company is going to reimburse them for the one.

However, the tire/wheel that had the blowout, after replacing, you could tell was not aiming straight or inline with the other front tire.

When we looked further, you could tell where the tow truck driver had hooked the tie rod, when he pulled it onto the flatbed. He bent it big time

The customers called the towing company, and their manager came over and looked at it. He did agree that their driver damaged it, and is going to fix it, along with her bumper. Everyone seemed satisfied.

He called one of his own tow trucks to come get it, and take it over to have everything repaired.

I went to dealing with another customer, as they loaded the car up on the tow truck bed. When I walked back out, as the second tow driver was ratchet strapping the tires/wheels down to the flatbed, I noticed what appeared to be a ratchet strap on the aluminum TPMS valve stem. Sure enough when I walked over, he had bent it over a bunch. It's the aluminum body type, and may require a whole new sensor.

While I was showing it to the driver, the customers and towing company manager walked over to see what we were looking at, and it was explained the TPMS sensor valve is now ruined.

When it rains, it pours.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #1499
Site Team

Forgot to add, here is how her front tires look. Can you tell which one has the bent stuff.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200611_094407.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	231279Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200611_094605.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	231280

Old 06-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #1500
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sure is hard to get good help...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire

« cute joke(s) | - »