Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #921
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
APU= Auxiliary Power Unit
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I'm guessing this would be funnier if you told the other 99.4% of us what APU means.
Auxiliary Power Unit.

Kind of like a "pony motor" on old timey heavy equipment. The APU typically runs a generator and (depending on the aircraft) a compressor. It provides electric power while on the ground without running the main engine(s), and pneumatic power for starting the mains.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #923
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I hate to admiT it but the first time I saw that cartoon it took about half a minutes to figure it out.
Yup first time I saw it took a full minute for me but best part was DW couldnt see it
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #924

When I was a tech at a Chevy-Buick dealership we had an old cowboy used to bring his ranch truck in for service or repair. He chewed WB Cut and what wasn't slobbered down the drivers door was in a Planters Peanut can on the hump. The truck had a stock rack on it and the bed had a layer of manure in it. He was a personal friend of the owner and spent a lot of money at the dealership. It always added a different flavor to the shop when that truck was in the shop.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #925
Site Team

Speaking of stinky stuff at a dealership... our son is a World-class GM Master Technician. He's always telling me about some gag wagon he had to service but I've seen a couple of them with my own nose.

One was a Chevy HHR in which two ladies even older than I am appeared to live and travel across country with some number of Chihuahuas. They blew the left front tire which knocked a bunch of stuff off the car. Needed a new fender and several other parts so the unit was in his stall far too long since it stunk like the pile of wet dogs wmtire described above. WOW - what a gag wagon!
The other bad one he had to fix had room for the driver but all other seats and floors were jam packed with trash. Some of the trash was the remains of uneaten fast food orders. It appeared the driver ate some portion of a MacDonald's Big Breakfast and reached between the front seats to set the whole plate food scraps and all on the pile of backseat trash... maybe a week before! All that uneaten food and other trash really stunk. I don't know how my son stomached moving that trash pile in and out of his shop.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I'm guessing this would be funnier if you told the other 99.4% of us what APU means.
Oops, very sorry. Others answered that question for me. The APU on the H-60 supplies electrical power and pnuematic pressure for engine starters.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #927
rbq

Why can't you do this, I saw it on the internet?

Let's have fun with this one.
Try this on for size.
https://www.facebook.com/MechanicSte...1920455/?t=337
Old 01-26-2020, 06:08 PM   #928

“Hey, hold my beer. I’ll show you how to fix this tire”
Old 01-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #929

New 75 mph trailer tire !! Never saw how they fixed them. But I remember on the farm they used to fix big holes in tractor tires. I believed they called it vulcanizing them. That may be what he did there. Not sure.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #930
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
New 75 mph trailer tire !! Never saw how they fixed them. But I remember on the farm they used to fix big holes in tractor tires. I believed they called it vulcanizing them. That may be what he did there. Not sure.

Russell
My Great-Grandfather owned a dairy farm. He fixed many a tire on the farm this way. They were called "Boots". He purchased them in different sizes from a farm CO-OP called GLF. He used vulcanizing fluid and tire cement to install them. They worked great around the farm for tires with tubes. Probably wouldn't hold-up in tubeless tires at highway speeds though.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:06 PM   #931

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
Let's have fun with this one.
Try this on for size.
https://www.facebook.com/MechanicSte...1920455/?t=337
Kinda reminds me of the videos I watched before my shoulder replacement surgery. I swear there are similarities.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:22 PM   #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
When I was a tech at a Chevy-Buick dealership we had an old cowboy used to bring his ranch truck in for service or repair. He chewed WB Cut and what wasn't slobbered down the drivers door was in a Planters Peanut can on the hump. The truck had a stock rack on it and the bed had a layer of manure in it. He was a personal friend of the owner and spent a lot of money at the dealership. It always added a different flavor to the shop when that truck was in the shop.
Wait til you walk into a car dealership shop that's had a silage truck in one of the bays for a week waiting on parts.

Smells worse than rotten sauerkraut and kimchee mixed together and left to sit in 100 degree summer temps.
Makes your eyes water so bad you cant see.

Everybody in the shop just said they got used to it after the first day.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #933
Site Team

Quote:

Russell

Yeah, it's called vulcanizing, and I won't even go into ALL the things that are wrong in this video. Vulcanizing OTR and semi tires used to be my main business, and I may dabble back in it when I get more towards retirement and slowing down away from retail. I still have all my equipment for such sans the forklift.

The person in the video opened themselves up for a huge liability if they sold or repaired that tire for a customer.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #934

My original thought was this repair was for a farm trailer or something. Not a trailer for on road use. But the wheel he was working on top of would lead one to believe it was going back onto the road.

I’ll just buy a new tire. Thank you !!

Russell
Old 01-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #935
Site Team

Quote:
My original thought was this repair was for a farm trailer or something. Not a trailer for on road use. But the wheel he was working on top of would lead one to believe it was going back onto the road.

I’ll just buy a new tire. Thank you !!

Russell
I'm not sure if the wheel isn't just a stand, and not for that tire. However that is a small tire and even has snow studs in the tread. Looking at the writing on the bottom right of the video, that may be Russian or such, but is definitely foreign. They may be doing that in a different legal climate than ours.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #936

Mondays at the tire shop

So I see this car at CVS here in Florida last week !! RF tire is one of those short run baby spare tires. RF has two lug nuts other two studs twisted off. RR has lug nuts that don’t match and tire with no tread.

LR has a tire that some way is mounted backward or something. It sets well outside the wheel well. Lug nuts are not matching there either. LF only has two lug nuts with two twisted off.

But he has a noise maker exhaust!!

How would you like to be running along side that on a road !!

Russell Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0407.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	457.8 KB
ID:	222456Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0409.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	222457
Old 01-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #937
Kanadian Kamper

Obviously there’s NO ONE in the LEO division that can spot an obvious safety threat to everyone sharing the roads.

I suspect this might also have marginal brakes....and could be an insurance risk vehicle.

I accept that some people might be financially challenged, but at everyone else’s expense? Please.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #938
Site Team

Just have to love selective memory.

Had a customer in here last week getting a nail repaired in a 23 year old tire. DOT date code of 1997.

I explained to him how old the tire was and he still wanted the nail repaired. I also asked him at the time if he wanted to purchase a new valve stem since it was probably as old as the tire, which he declined.

Well guess what (but you should already have surmised), he came back this morning with a leaking valve stem.

The first thing out of his mouth was, we didn't fix his tire last week and the valve stem was leaking. I reminded him that all he wanted to pay for was the nail repair and specifically declined replacing the stem.

He counters with he didn't remember that, and I reminded him of the price he was quoted for same. He heehaws for a bit, but finally realizes his selective memory defense isn't going to pass muster and pays to have the stem replaced.

I reminded him once again that the tire is still 23 years old.....and all of you reading this are my witnesses. Lol

Old 01-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #939
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Just have to love selective memory.

Had a customer in here last week getting a nail repaired in a 23 year old tire. DOT date code of 1997.

I explained to him how old the tire was and he still wanted the nail repaired. I also asked him at the time if he wanted to purchase a new valve stem since it was probably as old as the tire, which he declined.

Well guess what (but you should already have surmised), he came back this morning with a leaking valve stem.

The first thing out of his mouth was, we didn't fix his tire last week and the valve stem was leaking. I reminded him that all he wanted to pay for was the nail repair and specifically declined replacing the stem.

He counters with he didn't remember that, and I reminded him of the price he was quoted for same. He heehaws for a bit, but finally realizes his selective memory defense isn't going to pass muster and pays to have the stem replaced.

I reminded him once again that the tire is still 23 years old.....and all of you reading this are my witnesses. Lol

Is there a certain point (besides wear) that you will refuse to fix a tire?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #940
Site Team

Yes, anything that in my opinion is dangerous to air up/run.

This can include dry rotting, separation, broke cord, welded aluminum wheels, and many other things.

Tags
tire

« Humor in pictures | - »