Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #2201

Pay by the letter
2019 Rockwood ROO 233S, 1998 Dutchman 747SL, 1988 Jayco 1006, 2001 Skyline Nomad 3710BH,1997 Coachman Catalina lite 249 QB, 2001 Palomino Mustang SC
Wisconsin-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #2202
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I am getting more than my fair share today. I lost my cool a bit, and will share the details when I get home later. He kept pushing till I got enough. Some of it had to do with armor all.
Now for the Paul Harvey version. Had a guy come in earlier this morning wanting a tire repaired. I was the only one there at the time, so I started on it by marking with tire chalk the valve stem position on the tire sidewall, and any weights before removal. This lets us put the tire back on in it's same position as we took it off. Everything was going well, so I thought. This guy had his tires soaked in Armor all

After I finished everything and remounted the tire, wiped away the tire chalk in two places and put it back on the vehicle, he starts griping that I needed to wipe his tire back down with armor all (which he told me what he used on it is how I know). I told him I didn't have Armor All, and do not recommend it being used on tires.

He then tells me that's not his problem and I "HAVE" to wipe his tire back down with Armor All. Not wanting to argue I said I would, if he had some with him.

He pointed across the road at the auto parts store, and tells me they probably had plenty over there. I said they probably do, and if he wanted to go get some I would wipe it on his tire, as I couldn't leave the shop being by myself. He said it was my responsibility to go get it, not his. By now I'm getting fairly irritated, so I told him actually it was not my problem.

He again insisted it was, and then added I should offer to wipe down all of his tires, and even comp him the price of the flat tire repair since he was having to waste so much time on this. I knew then where all of this was going, as he was trying to get the flat tire repair for free....and all the rest was just a red herring.

It was time to make him pay up and leave, as the wasted time was on me not him. About this time, one of my guys showed up and as he walked up, I asked him what he would charge this guy to go over to Advance Auto and get some Armor All, to wipe his tires down.

I could tell by the look on my guys face, he didn't have a clue what to say...or what was going on. Before he could say anything, i answered for him and told him it would probably be no less than $50 for such. My guy just looked at me and nodded, as he knew something was afoot now after my leads.

I turned to this customer and told him the price was $50 more dollars on top of the flat tire repair if he wanted that done. He started to try and argue more and I cut him off saying to hand my guy some cash as my guy needed to get it done as I had other things for him to do, and the meter was running.

The customer then asked how much was the tire repair, and I told him. He then starts saying he would never be back and goes ahead and pays me.

I thought I handled it fairly well and was proud of myself somewhat. After the customer walked out, I was trying to explain to my guy what all had transpired. As I was telling him the tale, this customer walks back in and says he needed to add one more thing. I asked him what that was, and he said "---- You", and showed me the bird.

This is where I did lose my cool, and told him to get out and off my property, and not in a calm demeanor.

It put me in a sour mood for the whole day, as I get mad at myself when I let my buttons get pushed.

I now wonder how many PM's I'm going to get with my trigger phrase now that the forum knows it. LOL

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:21 PM   #2203

Quote:
This one is scary. Guy comes in here wanting us to try and tighten down his lugnuts on a trailer. Told him I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Missing one, one on backwards, two have the stud spinningAttachment 239265
Looks like he will be ok until the studs shear. Those lug nuts look pretty rusted in place! Did you notice the date on the tires?
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #2204
Site Team

I am not sure you were going to win no matter what you did for him. Sooner or later he is going to run out of tire stores.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #2205

I read the Paul Harvey rest of the story 6 times and all i could fo is shake my head in disbelief. I would have popped a cork long before you did!
Old 09-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #2206

I don't know about that tire slime junk these days, let alone Armor All, but back 10-15 years ago the snot that made the tires all slick looking actually degraded the rubber.

We had several white cars come through the body shop with yellowish brown stains on the panels is an arched pattern behind the tires. Obviously it was on all cars, but it only really showed on the white ones.
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #2207

Nice job shutting down a scammer
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #2208
Director, FROG

Quote:
Now for the Paul Harvey version. Had a guy come in earlier this morning wanting a tire repaired. I was the only one there at the time, so I started on it by marking with tire chalk the valve stem position on the tire sidewall, and any weights before removal. This lets us put the tire back on in it's same position as we took it off. Everything was going well, so I thought. This guy had his tires soaked in Armor all

After I finished everything and remounted the tire, wiped away the tire chalk in two places and put it back on the vehicle, he starts griping that I needed to wipe his tire back down with armor all (which he told me what he used on it is how I know). I told him I didn't have Armor All, and do not recommend it being used on tires.

He then tells me that's not his problem and I "HAVE" to wipe his tire back down with Armor All. Not wanting to argue I said I would, if he had some with him.

He pointed across the road at the auto parts store, and tells me they probably had plenty over there. I said they probably do, and if he wanted to go get some I would wipe it on his tire, as I couldn't leave the shop being by myself. He said it was my responsibility to go get it, not his. By now I'm getting fairly irritated, so I told him actually it was not my problem.

He again insisted it was, and then added I should offer to wipe down all of his tires, and even comp him the price of the flat tire repair since he was having to waste so much time on this. I knew then where all of this was going, as he was trying to get the flat tire repair for free....and all the rest was just a red herring.

It was time to make him pay up and leave, as the wasted time was on me not him. About this time, one of my guys showed up and as he walked up, I asked him what he would charge this guy to go over to Advance Auto and get some Armor All, to wipe his tires down.

I could tell by the look on my guys face, he didn't have a clue what to say...or what was going on. Before he could say anything, i answered for him and told him it would probably be no less than $50 for such. My guy just looked at me and nodded, as he knew something was afoot now after my leads.

I turned to this customer and told him the price was $50 more dollars on top of the flat tire repair if he wanted that done. He started to try and argue more and I cut him off saying to hand my guy some cash as my guy needed to get it done as I had other things for him to do, and the meter was running.

The customer then asked how much was the tire repair, and I told him. He then starts saying he would never be back and goes ahead and pays me.

I thought I handled it fairly well and was proud of myself somewhat. After the customer walked out, I was trying to explain to my guy what all had transpired. As I was telling him the tale, this customer walks back in and says he needed to add one more thing. I asked him what that was, and he said "---- You", and showed me the bird.

This is where I did lose my cool, and told him to get out and off my property, and not in a calm demeanor.

It put me in a sour mood for the whole day, as I get mad at myself when I let my buttons get pushed.

I now wonder how many PM's I'm going to get with my trigger phrase now that the forum knows it. LOL

Bobby, at least you got his assurance that he'll never be back. That sounds like a win to me!

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:53 PM   #2209

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Bobby, at least you got his assurance that he'll never be back. That sounds like a win to me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	239318
I’d be happy to send you one of these
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:15 PM   #2210

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Attachment 239318
I’d be happy to send you one of these
I absolutely love it - can I buy one or two?
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:42 AM   #2211
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post

Bob, I guess that is one way to look at it as a positive.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:06 AM   #2212

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickY View Post
I absolutely love it - can I buy one or two?

Don’t remember which magazine I found this T-shirt in but they are available at CafePress
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #2213
Site Team

Just had a woman call on the phone and immediately start gnawing on me. Was telling me what all we did wrong on her vehicle yesterday. I finally got to speak and asked her if she was sure she was calling the right place. She gave the name of a competitor across the river, and I informed her we weren't them.

I was expecting an apology but got a laugh instead. She didn't miss a beat and asked me how she sounded, since I was now her practice audience. I told her she didn't seem mad enough and maybe needed to throw in some good curse words when she called them. She then laughed, and I ended the call with her to come see us when she needed more tire service. She said she would.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #2214

Quote:
Just had a woman call on the phone and immediately start gnawing on me. Was telling me what all we did wrong on her vehicle yesterday. I finally got to speak and asked her if she was sure she was calling the right place. She gave the name of a competitor across the river, and I informed her we weren't them.

I was expecting an apology but got a laugh instead. She didn't miss a beat and asked me how she sounded, since I was now her practice audience. I told her she didn't seem mad enough and maybe needed to throw in some good curse words when she called them. She then laughed, and I ended the call with her to come see us when she needed more tire service. She said she would.

Now that’s customer service right there.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:58 AM   #2215

Quote:

Beware. She could be single and may be your next ex-wife.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #2216
Site Team

Quote:
since I was now her practice audience. I told her she didn't seem mad enough and maybe needed to throw in some good curse words when she called them..
That was funny!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #2217
Site Team

You can now add "Irate Customer Coaching" to your shingle.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:54 AM   #2218

Mondays at the tire shop

Quote:

We have other plumbing stores in our area(we really only sell PVF), but it bleeds over. I will tell them to call so and so for an item. I till them as soon as they answer to start cussing as they are used to it. Ha ha
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #2219
Site Team

Just had another one of those unfortunate souls who thought when you bought a tire, the wheel came with it.

He said the aluminum rim and blowed out tire were on the side of the interstate about 30 miles from here.

Thing is, This guy had to be at least 30 years old. You'd thought he would have bought tires somewhere in life

Old 09-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #2220

Quote:
Tat's what I was tinking too.
Autentic means it's the REAL DEAL. Authentic.....not so much.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire

« cute joke(s) | - »