Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #2521

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Hey Bobby, can you plug this tire for me? Nearly new and lots of good tread. I rarely drive it over 70 MPH. Plug(s) should be OK, right???
I've seen things stranger. One of our Dealers in New Mexico had a Navajo woman come in one day to have the air checked in her tires. Dealer spotted a repaired cut just like in the picture. She had someone in the reservation dismount the tire and then using waxed cord she carefully stitched the gash closed. Stitch work was beautiful. As neat as the stitching on a pair of fancy boots.

Installed a tube in it and had tire reinstalled. She'd been driving on it for about a year. Dealer gave her a new tire snd sent the repaired tire to our office where it was displayed in our adjustments mgr's office.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #2522

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-B View Post
Truck tire repair shops in the US worked pretty much the same way in the 30's and especially during WWII.

They just used electrically heated tools.

Most figured if you couldn't see the broken cords it wouldn't matter.

When I first got into the industry in the late 60's there were still a few OK Rubberwelder shops around and many looked like this shop only the workers wore boots instead of sandals.

DOT pretty much put an end to this kind of repair for highway service tires.

The huge haul truck and earthmover tires are often repaired like this but with better materials. Of course when you are looking at a tire off a Cat 797 that costs over $40,000 (about $4 per pound), repairs are definetly more cost effective.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #2523

Duct tape keep you from seeing it. Out of sight out mind!!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:08 PM   #2524
Site Team

There was a customer today I wished I could have got a picture of his rim. He had an aluminum 22 inch factory GM wheel that had been cracked/damaged but he had welded.

Whomever did this welding didn't even grind it back down smooth at the bead flange as it was still lumped up. Anyone with common sense would know a tire couldn't seal there.

I took a pass on mounting his tire on the rim as I always do when I see these welded wheels. Just too much risk to do these. It's Russian roulette.

His however was more like redneck roulette.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:41 PM   #2525
NXR

Quote:
The huge haul truck and earthmover tires are often repaired like this but with better materials. Of course when you are looking at a tire off a Cat 797 that costs over $40,000 (about $4 per pound), repairs are definetly more cost effective.

Way back when I worked for the corporate flight department of a large tire company. I walked into the hangar one Monday and there were a couple of astonishingly expensive sports cars, a boat, a motorhome and probably other high-dollar stuff.

Turned out one of our largest farm tire dealers was running a warranty fraud against us. Because those tires are so large they're never returned in a warranty claim and the selling dealer is obligated to dispose of the returns.

This guy was filing false warranty claims and reselling the supposed defective tires. Took us for a couple of million. His scheme fell apart when a buyer of one of the "defective" ones contacted us directly about a problem with the tire.

"Would you please repeat that serial number again, slowly?" kind of thing.

The company got a court order to confiscate that stuff and they needed a place to stash it where no one would ask embarrassing questions.

Ray
Old 10-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #2526
Site Team

Just interviewed a young man for a job. I was telling him that I don't need drama up here and if he has any personal or girlfriend problems, he needs to keep them separate from his job.

He did amuse me as he replied that "he wished he had a girlfriend."

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #2527

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Just interviewed a young man for a job. I was telling him that I don't need drama up here and if he has any personal or girlfriend problems, he needs to keep them separate from his job.

He did amuse me as he replied that "he wished he had a girlfriend."

If you hire him, he'll be fine until he gets a girlfriend. Then, unless her work schedule is similar to his, he'll be MIA.....especially on weekends!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #2528
Site Team

Our last customer is having a bad time. He bought two new vehicle tires and one new trailer tire online. He brought it all to us to get mounted.

The first bad news I had to break to him was that he had new 20 inch rim diameter tires that I could not mount on his 18 inch rim diameter vehicle wheels. He fussed and cussed that he didn't even look at the tire sizes they sent him.

He then pulls out the new 205/75R15 trailer tire and a blank rim for me to mount the tire on. I could instantly tell that the rim was a 14 inch diameter but had to get a tape measure to convince him.

It was after the second bad news, I kind of got the feeling he had ordered the wrong sizes from his reaction and words. If he has to pay return shipping, his deal may not be so good.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #2529

The tires are the wrong size, but thd deal was so good he just couldnt pass it up!
Old 10-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #2530
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
The tires are the wrong size, but thd deal was so good he just couldnt pass it up!

No no, the tires are the RIGHT size, the rims were the wrong size!
Old 10-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #2531
Site Team

This was kind of funny. Had a lady come in a bit ago saying her two rear tires were leaking. She just wanted to leave the keys and walk across the road to eat at a restaurant. I told her we were trying to avoid getting in cars due to covid but I would have a bay open shortly.

We got her to back in a bay and she went across the road. No sooner than we started on her first tire, we could see it was coming apart. I sent an employee to get her back over.

She came right back and agreed to buy two tires, then was going to walk back to the restaurant. I told her I would have her out quick now and she grudgingly awaited our completion. I guess she was really hungry.

She paid then made the comment she hoped not to see us again anytime soon. I get that a lot as it means they hope they don't have any more tire problems.

I watched her drive over to the restaurant to finally get to eat. That's when I spotted my opportunity to have some fun. I walked over to the restaurant and up to her. You ought to have seen her expression of dread when she saw me. I don't know if she thought I was going to give her more bad news, keep her from eating, or I'm just that ugly. She said "Oh no, what now!" with all kind of trepidation in her voice.

I told her I figured she may want this as I handed her purse to her....that she had left on the counter.

Her expression and entire demeanor did a huge turnaround. She even offered to buy me lunch after that.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:36 PM   #2532

Quote:
This was kind of funny. Had a lady come in a bit ago saying her two rear tires were leaking. She just wanted to leave the keys and walk across the road to eat at a restaurant. I told her we were trying to avoid getting in cars due to covid but I would have a bay open shortly.

We got her to back in a bay and she went across the road. No sooner than we started on her first tire, we could see it was coming apart. I sent an employee to get her back over.

She came right back and agreed to buy two tires, then was going to walk back to the restaurant. I told her I would have her out quick now and she grudgingly awaited our completion. I guess she was really hungry.

She paid then made the comment she hoped not to see us again anytime soon. I get that a lot as it means they hope they don't have any more tire problems.

I watched her drive over to the restaurant to finally get to eat. That's when I spotted my opportunity to have some fun. I walked over to the restaurant and up to her. You ought to have seen her expression of dread when she saw me. I don't know if she thought I was going to give her more bad news, keep her from eating, or I'm just that ugly. She said "Oh no, what now!" with all kind of trepidation in her voice.

I told her I figured she may want this as I handed her purse to her....that she had left on the counter.

Her expression and entire demeanor did a huge turnaround. She even offered to buy me lunch after that.
When we are spending our monies on something we didn't "want" or prepare to spend money on it stings sometimes. Wrong place wrong time.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #2533

The video, Wow!! ingenious.

Wonder what the speed rating is of that tire.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #2534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post

Most likely "as fast as you can get it off of my property"

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #2535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post

What video?
Old 10-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #2536
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
What video?
Gotta go back a few posts.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2440325
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #2537
Director, FROG

Bobby, I just came across these in an item someone sent me. For some reason, your name popped into my head.

Can you deflate the bumps so it's smooth all the way around, or should I just use them as curb feelers?

I think I might need an alignment.

I don't like Chinese tires. Can you get me one of those high-end replacements from the USSR?

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #2538

No wonder so many drivers in Russia have video car cams in their vehicles with cars on the roads with tires like that!

LOL
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:52 PM   #2539
NXR

Mondays at the tire shop

Quote:
No wonder so many drivers in Russia have video car cams in their vehicles with cars on the roads with tires like that!

LOL

I think it's actually the law over there.

Ray
Old 10-30-2020, 08:42 AM   #2540

Quote:

Bobby, there’s a little mischievous quality in your sense of humor; I like that. [emoji23]
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire

« cute joke(s) | - »