Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #2581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I think that it might not be clear that you are probably talking about using vegetable oil, and not motor oil.
Ahhh, I only thought of motor oil.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #2582
Site Team

We assume the water line repair was only a few hours?? Don't they rent porta cans in Louisiana?
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #2583
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
That HAD to be foul.
It was

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #2584
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
We assume the water line repair was only a few hours?? Don't they rent porta cans in Louisiana?
It's been closer to 7 months. It's going to be a major thing. Fencing has to be removed as well air ducts from the outside unit.

We are not completely down and can use the facilities but it a process for this as we have to turn the water on at the meter

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #2585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
It was
I’m sure it was foul, but I think I would rather use this instead of Nuoc Mam Cham as a dipping sauce.

Bruce
Old 11-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #2586

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I’m sure it was foul, but I think I would rather use this instead of Nuoc Mam Cham as a dipping sauce.

Bruce
I have no idea what Nuoc Mam Cham sauce is but this brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't relate the joke to DW because I was laughing too hard. Still am.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #2587
Senior Member - Retired

You can "google" it. Still a popular dipping sauce for American Vietnamese. However it has morphed into a much less stinky sauce with a sweet/sour taste. There were a few ways to create the main and often pungent ingredient of the sauce. In the areas I served in, the pungent ingredient was the liquid dripping into a pan from rotting fish left in the sun. Your mind can probably extrapolate from there.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #2588

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
You can "google" it.
I found it on Wikipedia. Sounds yummy! I like the part about it being "... fermented for up to two years."

A description by Pliny the Elder of a similar product used by Romans is particularly appealing: "garum consists of the guts of fish and other parts that would otherwise be considered refuse, so that garum is really the liquor from putrefaction."

Now, back to the tire shop ...

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #2589

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I found it on Wikipedia. Sounds yummy! I like the part about it being "... fermented for up to two years."

A description by Pliny the Elder of a similar product used by Romans is particularly appealing: "garum consists of the guts of fish and other parts that would otherwise be considered refuse, so that garum is really the liquor from putrefaction."

Now, back to the tire shop ...
There are parts of the world where people eat (and relish) things that would make dogs walk away if hey came across it.

The secret seems to be to cook it long enough and add plenty of hot peppers to it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:47 PM   #2590

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
There are parts of the world where people eat (and relish) things that would make dogs walk away if hey came across it.

The secret seems to be to cook it long enough and add plenty of hot peppers to it.
and San Miguel. Ate a lot of "monkey meat" in Subic Bay-Olongapo that I had no idea what it really was....And didn't care.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:55 AM   #2591

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
and San Miguel. Ate a lot of "monkey meat" in Subic Bay-Olongapo that I had no idea what it really was....And didn't care.
I ate it also. It was more than likely water buffalo.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #2592

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck1032 View Post
I ate it also. It was more than likely water buffalo.
My little sister moved to Hong Kong with her husband who was a wood importer for a couple years.

First thing she was told by other "ex-pats" living there was that if eating in a local restaurant and you liked what you were eating, DON'T ASK WHAT IT IS!

Old 11-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #2593

I love Hong Kong when under British rule. The whole atmosphere and attitude of the people was sad after the hand over. And the advice she was given is true.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #2594
Site Team

And I'm having a Monday. A guy just pulled his truck in the bay to get a tire repaired. He jumps out and says he is leaving it here while he goes with his wife to run some errands. I watch him lock the doors to the truck and put his keys in his pocket.

I stop him and tell him we need the keys to pull the truck out when we finish. He tells me he isn't going to leave me the keys and will be back in a few hours. I stop him a second time and tell him he then needs to wait on it so he can pull it out as soon as we finish, as he can't tie up our bay like that.

He then says (or pops off actually) that he doesn't have time to wait and goes to get in his wife's vehicle.

I stop him a third time and won't let him close the car door and tell him to pull it out and show him where he can park it...till he returns, and then we will repair the tire. I inform him again he cannot tie up our bay.

He then looks at his wife then back at me as I'm still holding the car door actually. He tells me if he pulls it out, he is leaving. I tell him that is his choice.

He does pull out and I walk back inside, kinda miffed at his attitude but glad he left...or so I thought.

I'm in my office and he walks into it. I'm expecting this to escalate more, but instead he hands me the keys and says they will return sometime after lunch.

Why did he have to turn something so simple into a drama?

At least we get a forum story out of it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #2595
Site Team

Sounds like the wife's cooler head prevailed once you were out of hearing! And by cooler head, she called him an idiot and told him to go give you the keys.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #2596

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
And I'm having a Monday. A guy just pulled his truck in the bay to get a tire repaired. He jumps out and says he is leaving it here while he goes with his wife to run some errands. I watch him lock the doors to the truck and put his keys in his pocket.

I stop him and tell him we need the keys to pull the truck out when we finish. He tells me he isn't going to leave me the keys and will be back in a few hours. I stop him a second time and tell him he then needs to wait on it so he can pull it out as soon as we finish, as he can't tie up our bay like that.

He then says (or pops off actually) that he doesn't have time to wait and goes to get in his wife's vehicle.

I stop him a third time and won't let him close the car door and tell him to pull it out and show him where he can park it...till he returns, and then we will repair the tire. I inform him again he cannot tie up our bay.

He then looks at his wife then back at me as I'm still holding the car door actually. He tells me if he pulls it out, he is leaving. I tell him that is his choice.

He does pull out and I walk back inside, kinda miffed at his attitude but glad he left...or so I thought.

I'm in my office and he walks into it. I'm expecting this to escalate more, but instead he hands me the keys and says they will return sometime after lunch.

Why did he have to turn something so simple into a drama?

At least we get a forum story out of it.

His wife probably told him that if he was going to behave like one of her kids she was going to put him in diapers like she did them. That motivated him to leave the keys.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #2597
Site Team

Had an older female customer who we just repaired a tire for. When she comes in to pay, she starts griping about the price. I show her the sign we have in the office and state that is our minimum price she is paying. She keeps on fussing and griping, but eventually pulls out her credit card to pay with.

She then pulls out a ten dollar bill, wanting two fives in exchange for it..... so according to her, that she can tip my employee five dollars.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #2598

Quote:
Had an older female customer who we just repaired a tire for. When she comes in to pay, she starts griping about the price. I show her the sign we have in the office and state that is our minimum price she is paying. She keeps on fussing and griping, but eventually pulls out her credit card to pay with.

She then pulls out a ten dollar bill, wanting two fives in exchange for it..... so according to her, that she can tip my employee five dollars.
Some people just feel they have to gripe over the price of anything.

Kind of reminds me of a Dog my late wife and I used to have.

Every evening we'd put down her "dinner bowl" and she'd go stand in front of it just staring at the food. We also had an old Tomcat that would lazily walk into the kitchen about the same time. He's approach the "dinner bowl" so see what was there. The dog would growl at the cat for a minute or so, cat would turn and show the dog his hind end. Dog would then proceed to eat.

The arrival of the Tomcat varied each night but the dog refused to start eating until she'd growled at him and he left. Was hilarious to watch.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #2599

Quote:

Maybe you should raise your prices slightly so people can argue about it and feel good when they "win".
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #2600

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
His wife probably told him that if he was going to behave like one of her kids she was going to put him in diapers like she did them. That motivated him to leave the keys.
Exactly what DW would say to me if I acted like that...I bet he got a mouth full from her after you left so he gave in.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire