Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #2641

This would be a REALLY bad Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	243421  
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:58 AM   #2642

The cartoon above reminds me of a true story that my best friend relayed to me about his dad years ago. He and his dad were getting gas in there 56 Ford pickup. This is back in the 60's when the attendant would check your oil and clean the windshield. My friend's dad was checking the oil himself and the attendant was busy cleaning the windshield. The attendant was shaped like the guy in the cartoon above and his belly was laying on top of the fender and partially into the engine compartment when dad finished checking the oil and slammed the hood closed.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #2643
Site Team

This showed up on my caller ID yesterday. I wonder if they are related to Definitely Fraud? Should I have answered it?. LolClick image for larger version

Name:	20201125_112932_HDR.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	243628

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #2644
Site Team

I get a lot of calls on my cell phone that come up as "potential spam".
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #2645
Site Team

Well we get a completely different caller. We get, "Scam Likely". If we ever get one from Scam Definitely I'm gonna be worried.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #2646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I don’t get any calls on my cell unless the caller is in my contacts, unless they call between 10:55 and 10:57.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #2647

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
This showed up on my caller ID yesterday. I wonder if they are related to Definitely Fraud? Should I have answered it?. LolAttachment 243628

Sometimes, if I'm bored, I'll answer it and start messing with them. Takes up their time and makes me laugh!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:03 PM   #2648

Mondays at the tire shop

I’m in the process of dealing with an insurance company. Neighbor burning trash and lit up a field and burnt up some of my equipment.

So I have to answer most calls for a few days in case it one of the adjusters. Just wonder what the percentage of positive calls the robo guys get ?

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #2649
Site Team

I ran into one of my old school friends Sunday in the grocery store. He had moved to Atlanta a long time ago but had moved back here fairly recently.

He works for Comcast and said he called my shop a few weeks ago to talk with me from his job. He said he left a message that he was an old friend of mine and wanted to know if I got the message.

Since the caller ID showed up as Comcast it was assumed he was a telemarketer....and I had to explain we get all kind of stuff like that where someone tries to claim they are a friend or know me in order to bypass the call screening we have.

I never did tell him it was me who he was talking to on that call.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #2650
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

I recently had significant storm damage and was waiting on a call for approval from my insurance company authorizing the claim and for work to start. I had the "potential spam" alert show up and said what the hell, answered the phone. I got lucky!! It was indeed the insurance representative with a break down and approval of my claim for two roofs, fence and two gate damage as well as a damaged tree for removal. These days you never know.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #2651
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Sometimes, if I'm bored, I'll answer it and start messing with them. Takes up their time and makes me laugh!
I don't get a chance to mess with them as most are recorded messages telling me to press 1 to talk to the next available operator. One time I did press the number, when a person answered they asked how may I help you. I told them they called me via robocall and remove me from their call list. I get robocalls/telemarketer calls at least once a day. Most come from some place telling me the warranty for my vehicle is expiring or expired and each call shows a different number. I probably have over 1000 numbers on my block list.

Yesterday I got a call saying they were from Master Card Visa. Never had that one before. Master Card or Visa, but never combined.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #2652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I don't get a chance to mess with them as most are recorded messages telling me to press 1 to talk to the next available operator. One time I did press the number, when a person answered they asked how may I help you. I told them they called me via robocall and remove me from their call list. I get robocalls/telemarketer calls at least once a day. Most come from some place telling me the warranty for my vehicle is expiring or expired and each call shows a different number. I probably have over 1000 numbers on my block list.

Yesterday I got a call saying they were from Master Card Visa. Never had that one before. Master Card or Visa, but never combined.
I get them all the time, claiming to be "from your credit card provider". If I accidentally answer, and feel spunky, I'll spend a few minutes trying to bait them into telling me *which* of my credit card providers, specifically, they are calling from. It can be fun listening to them duck and shuffle and try to avoid answering the question directly. I give myself bonus points if I can get them to yell at me before they hang up.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:10 PM   #2653

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
I have also answered thinking I can mess with them but every time it was a recording so just hung up.

I don't answer unless I know the name or phone number but they get around that too as have received calls from myself and my phone number showing on on the caller ID.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:53 PM   #2654

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
... So I have to answer most calls for a few days in case it one of the adjusters. Just wonder what the percentage of positive calls the robo guys get ?
I usually don't answer calls I don't recognize but there are times when I'm expecting a call but don't know where it's coming from. My impression is that, since switching from Verizon to Google Fi, the amount of spam has decreased. I still get calls about Fedex deliveries, in Chinese.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:56 PM   #2655

phone scams

We're just starting a declutter and down sizing process and so have listed a number of items for sale on craigslist. I always ask for text or email only since I won't answer a call from a number I don't recognize. The new, to me at least, scam is for the responder to say something like 'can I send you a code to prove you are real?'. The first time I saw this I got into quite a discussion. It went something like this:

Me: How does sending me a code prove I am real?
Them: you have to send the code back
Me: Still doesn't prove I'm real does it?
Them: Its to protect me, prove your ad is real
Me: What about protecting me?
Them: So can I send you a code?
Me: How about I send you a code, you know, to protect me?

Nothing.

Now I just say no.

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:41 PM   #2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
I have also answered thinking I can mess with them but every time it was a recording so just hung up.

I don't answer unless I know the name or phone number but they get around that too as have received calls from myself and my phone number showing on on the caller ID.
I was at my Son's office yesterday when he got a call from a telemarketer. Recording started out "Don't Hang Up". Son hung up. Phone rang again with caller ID showing a different number. Same demand to not hsng up. He did and a few moments later phone rang again, same opening.

This went on from same caller that was spoofing different numbers and towns each time.

He said they quit after a half dozen tries.

Due to the nature of his business he really has to answer as he has customers all over the place.

Robo calls are "supposed " to illegal, right?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #2657

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I was at my Son's office yesterday when he got a call from a telemarketer. Recording started out "Don't Hang Up". Son hung up. Phone rang again with caller ID showing a different number. Same demand to not hsng up. He did and a few moments later phone rang again, same opening.

This went on from same caller that was spoofing different numbers and towns each time.

He said they quit after a half dozen tries.

Due to the nature of his business he really has to answer as he has customers all over the place.

Robo calls are "supposed " to illegal, right?
Yeah, the do not call registry is working out just great.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:02 PM   #2658

Many are from outside the country.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #2659

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Many are from outside the country.
You’re right, which is why it is worthless.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Yeah, the do not call registry is working out just great.
I swear when you put your number on the Do Not Call list the FTC sells it to all the scammers
ken64k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire