Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2022, 10:03 AM   #6041
Mopar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Customer just came in to get two tires replaced on the rear of his truck with two other tires he had in the bed.

So I ask all.of you, which is worse? The tire with the warts about to blow out, or the fact he was running two tires with such a huge diameter difference putting a strain on that rear end.Attachment 277471Attachment 277472
that poor rear end. Bet it was running nice and hot. And if it WAS a limited slip, bet those clutches are now a fine powder mixed into the fluid.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:19 AM   #6042

Bobby, just alternate the tires so there will be equal wear on both sides of the rear end.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:50 AM   #6043
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshaynes View Post
Bobby, just alternate the tires so there will be equal wear on both sides of the rear end.

Just had another customer tell me he would find another place to do what he wanted done, after I refused to. He drove up in a truck with these specialty aftermarket 26" rims. You know the type, where it's all rim and hardly any tire.

He had his spare on the passenger front. He wanted me to rotate his passenger rear tire to where the spare was currently, then to take his 4th tire and 26 inch rim in the bed of his truck and put it back on the rear. he said his brother had just fixed that tire in his pickup bed.

When I looked at the tire in the bed of his truck it was obviously separated and you could see the big bulge in the tread. I told him that his tire was junk and he could not put this back on his truck. He said he knew that and that was why he was going to just run it on the rear. I told him he was better to leave his spare on the front until he got another tire. He said he couldn't afford another tire right now and if I didn't want to do it, he would find somewhere else.

I told him that I hope nobody else would do it either, as this was dangerous and he could hurt himself or others. He left all mad and still uneducated.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:07 PM   #6044

Mondays at the tire shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
that poor rear end. Bet it was running nice and hot. And if it WAS a limited slip, bet those clutches are now a fine powder mixed into the fluid.

Aren’t these the new “knobby tires”? [emoji23]
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:35 AM   #6045
Site Team

I debated on even opening up for a half day as my daughter and son-in-law are flying in at noon. I went ahead and decided to open and glad I did as I got the best story of all week.

Yesterday a customer brought in 4 rims off of a 4-wheeler that he had mail ordered some new tires for and needed mounted. I did the deed and he picked them up yesterday evening.

This morning, he brings the two front tires back. He said I mounted them in the wrong direction, as they were directional tires. I said, "yeah I know this and I mounted one for the left and one for the right side, Did the same for your rear tires".

He told me I got the rear tires correct, but I mounted both front tires wrong. He showed me how they both would be running backwards if he put them on his 4-wheeler like that.

I tried real, real hard not to laugh at him, and I failed real, real hard too. I told him to just switch the side of the 4 wheeler he was putting each wheel on, and they both would be right then.

You could see the light turn on in his head, and he sheepishly said "You have to believe me, I'm not normally this stupid".

I told him I would take his word for it.

I will be laughing at this one for awhile. Hope ya got a grin from it too.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:22 AM   #6046

OMG! And these people breed!
Old 08-06-2022, 11:16 AM   #6047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
OMG! And these people breed!
To the customers defense though...I had a service station on a military base mount 4 new tires. After they were done they said my TPMS light would be on because one of the TPMS sensors "just disintegrated" when they took the old tire off.

I went outside and looked at the car. On the sidewalls of all four tires was the word "INSIDE" clearly visible. I got the manager and showed him and said, "I'll bet if you crawl under there and look you'll find the word OUTSIDE on the other side, what do you think? So how about if you remount these tires correctly, replace the TPMS sensor that you broke, rebalance them and we'll call things even. "
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:05 PM   #6048

Both are bad, but he will blame you either way.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:47 PM   #6049
Director, FROG

Quote:
{...clip...}
I told him that I hope nobody else would do it either, as this was dangerous and he could hurt himself or others. He left all mad and still uneducated.
Not quite correct. He was educated, he just failed or refused to learn. It happens a lot.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:51 AM   #6050

If I had the number I would call using a google number and do the same.

Quote:
Does everyone remember the old "this is your brain on drugs" public service commercials that showed an egg frying? Well, this is the phone number of one of those fried eggs.

He called yesterday evening asking about a used tire. We told him we had it and he said he would be up here in a minute. When he arrived more than a minute later we were busy with other customers. When he walked in the shop I told him I would get with him when I finished up.

He then goes and gets in his car and starts calling my phone, each time telling me to hurry up. I get enough of this and tell him that he has to quit calling and wasting my time.

He then drives off, but keeps calling my phone and either laughing when I answer or just sitting there. I finally got caught up and call blocked his number.

Below is what your brain looks like on drugsAttachment 277041Attachment 277042Attachment 277043Attachment 277044Attachment 277045Attachment 277046Attachment 277047Attachment 277048
Old 08-08-2022, 11:51 AM   #6051
Professional Curmudgeon

On the one hand I feel really bad for these people. Most are just doing the best they can to get by day to day.
On the other hand I am highly entertained by this thread.

Does this make me a bad person?
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:14 PM   #6052
Befuddled wanderer

Somewhere along the way I got pointed at this fine example of what happens when a tire shop does NOT take the proper care when attaching the rims/tires to a vehicle:
https://twitter.com/videosvecagando/...17896539328513

I've decided I must just be a little bit warped inside because for some reason after I watched this a few times I started laughing. I know that's not nice, but like Popeye says: "I am what I am!"

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:20 PM   #6053

Looks fatal.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:00 PM   #6054

must be weird living in a place where a tire flying by only deserves a slight look
then continue on your merry way..

notice her shoes ?
I'd be watching that sucker every second to see what it hit after missing me
Old 08-08-2022, 03:13 PM   #6055

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Looks fatal.
My thought too

Getting hit in the back of the neck hard enough to knock one out of their shoes definitely has that potential.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:25 PM   #6056

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Looks fatal.
In the Twitter replies there was a more complete video. The occupants of the car that lost the tire(s) got out and helped her up. She was moving and walking around.
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:30 PM   #6057
Director, FROG

No indication, though, that faulty work by a tire shop was involved in any way.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:34 PM   #6058

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
No indication, though, that faulty work by a tire shop was involved in any way.
Absolutely. Wonder what percentage of wheels are mounted by owners themselves after things like a DIY tire rotation, or DIY repair?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:46 AM   #6059

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Absolutely. Wonder what percentage of wheels are mounted by owners themselves after things like a DIY tire rotation, or DIY repair?
Don't worry, we still have two lug nuts on the tire.
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:54 AM   #6060
Site Team

Had a woman call, then come up here earlier this morning. She said she needed a tire repaired, that her husband had plugged...but it was still leaking.

When she got here, I told her that I couldn't repair this tire, as it was junk. She argued with me and said it had plenty of tread and it was not junk, and I was just trying to rip her off. Her husband only put 3 plugs in it, according to her.

I told her I couldn't help her, and she had to replace the tire. She called me a crook and left all mad.

She did come back and buy a tire later though.

So you are probably asking yourself, why this is funny. I'll post pics of the tire she wanted repaired in the next post from me. Just letting you all get prepared, and am building this up

Tags
tire

« cute joke(s) | - »