Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2022, 10:52 AM   #6641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
just shows how old fashioned they still are in Louisianna

cashiers at a Walmart?
I heard Walmart is closing on Thanksgiving so self checkout customers can have the day off. *🤣
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:54 AM   #6642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I go to people's houses for engineering and design sales.
My #1 go to line is - "You called me for help. I'm here at your request."
Same here. I go to people's businesses who have bought hundreds of thousands of dollars of industrial equipment from my employer, to teach them how to use it.

Often, they are unhappy with the sales rep when I get there and start to dump on me when I walk in the door.

My version is "I'm sorry you are unhappy. I could leave.....? However my next availability is {date six weeks in the future}".

I fly to all of my engagements, so if I leave - it's going to be a while before I'm back. So far, no one has ever taken me up on it!

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:40 PM   #6643
Site Team

A lady came in here to purchase a tire, as she was a passenger in a vehicle driven by her friend/family. She had the size on her phone for the tire she needed, as she said her tire was "blown out". She said was in a big hurry and wanted to know the wait time. I told her I would start on it right now as soon as she opened the back hatch so I could get the old tire/rim out.

Cue the deer in the headlights expression

If you have read this thread much, you probably already know where this is going....and you would be correct.

She thought tires came with rims.

However, she didn't state that the old rim/tire was discarded anywhere, but she didn't say it wasn't either. She just said she would have to come back.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:15 PM   #6644
Site Team

Wondering if this is because many people refer to this as a spare tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spare tire.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	281765  

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:33 PM   #6645
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Wondering if this is because many people refer to this as a spare tire.
I think it's more of the throw away type society we have become. If something gives you a problem, you just replace it.

This applies to computers, phones, tv's, spouses.......

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 11-22-2022, 03:19 PM   #6646

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I think it's more of the throw away type society we have become. If something gives you a problem, you just replace it.

This applies to computers, phones, tv's, spouses.......
Agree with the throw away nature of things. Of course a lot of this is learned behavior because things have been made such that they are impossible or cost prohibitive to fix even if you wanted to.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:15 AM   #6647
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipntdot View Post
Agree with the throw away nature of things. Of course a lot of this is learned behavior because things have been made such that they are impossible or cost prohibitive to fix even if you wanted to.
I've found that many have no idea how to fix almost anything. A number larger than I expected believe if there isn't a YouTube video of it then it can't be fixed.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:09 PM   #6648

Kind of similar. I was watching a news report that featured a "government official" that got me jacked up. Official admitted there was a problem and was arguing that we need to spend more money and hire more people to handle paperwork that is keeping others from doing their actual job. No mention of going back to the cause of the problem and fixing that...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:29 PM   #6649
Site Team

Had one customer say out loud what I was thinking about another customer, which I tried not to laugh in front of both of them.

Customer #1 pulled up needing a tire repaired, located in the back of his truck. I had my son get it out and take it in shop to start it.

Customer #2 pulls in beside customer #1 and myself, wanting to know a price on two tires he needed replaced on front of his truck. After I give him a price, he asked if I took checks....which I said no. Told him I take debit cards. He then states he doesn't have his debit card with him, but did have his checkbook. I again tell him no checks, but he could go get his debit card and we could rock-n-roll.

He then changes tunes and says he has a problem with his debit card working.

I am now thinking (probably the same thing ya are reading this), what is really the problem.....when customer #1, standing within earshot of all this, just says it. He smirkingly says "I have a problem with my debit card too when I don't have any money in the bank".

Customer #2 says something under his breath that I didn't quite make out, as I was trying to not laugh. Customer #2 says he will come back later, then gets back in his truck and leaves.

I now start laughing and Customer #1 apologizes to me and says he was joking. He didn't know the other guy would get upset. I assured him that he was probably right, which is really what got customer # 2 in a tizzy.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:59 PM   #6650
Defender of America

Quote:
"I have a problem with my debit card too when I don't have any money in the bank".
My favorite line from customers before I give them a price for their "champagne dreams on a beer budget" is "remember I'm on a fixed income." Like the price I quote is a direct reflection of how much they have in their pocket.

I tell them that my prices are what they are based upon my costs. They are not a reflection of how much money I think you make or have. However, I can create a specific option that will work for you if you want to let me know your budget ahead of time. It's like - Let's cut to what you can afford!
Centerline TS WDH
Old 11-23-2022, 01:00 PM   #6651
Defender of America

Who puts a crystal chandelier in an outhouse?
Centerline TS WDH
Old 11-23-2022, 01:47 PM   #6652
Site Team

Quote:
Who puts a crystal chandelier in an outhouse?
I have a leg lamp in the window, does that count?Click image for larger version

Name:	20221122_210300.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	281793

Sent from my SM-A025A using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 11-23-2022, 05:04 PM   #6653

Quote:
My favorite line from customers before I give them a price for their "champagne dreams on a beer budget" is "remember I'm on a fixed income."
I'm on a fixed income too - fixed at the amount of profit that I make from selling whatever it is that I am selling.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:14 PM   #6654

Quote:
Had one customer say out loud what I was thinking about another customer, which I tried not to laugh in front of both of them.

Customer #1 pulled up needing a tire repaired, located in the back of his truck. I had my son get it out and take it in shop to start it.

Customer #2 pulls in beside customer #1 and myself, wanting to know a price on two tires he needed replaced on front of his truck. After I give him a price, he asked if I took checks....which I said no. Told him I take debit cards. He then states he doesn't have his debit card with him, but did have his checkbook. I again tell him no checks, but he could go get his debit card and we could rock-n-roll.

He then changes tunes and says he has a problem with his debit card working.

I am now thinking (probably the same thing ya are reading this), what is really the problem.....when customer #1, standing within earshot of all this, just says it. He smirkingly says "I have a problem with my debit card too when I don't have any money in the bank".

Customer #2 says something under his breath that I didn't quite make out, as I was trying to not laugh. Customer #2 says he will come back later, then gets back in his truck and leaves.

I now start laughing and Customer #1 apologizes to me and says he was joking. He didn't know the other guy would get upset. I assured him that he was probably right, which is really what got customer # 2 in a tizzy.
You should hire customer #1 to work the front office.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #6655

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4804.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	281796

This thread is about the OP and his Mondays at the tire shop. If I may, I would like to share my day at the tire shop and it was a Monday. I went in my local tire shop ( actually a garage that does a fair business selling tires) to replace the tires on my ‘21 GM dually. The shop is a small Mom & Pop where I live. The town only has 2 stop and 45 mph signs. It is a minimum of 1 hour drive north or south to a big city and tire stores. My first thought was to support the Mom/Pop. The price was $2100 and change. At Discount Tire I could have saved $300, but it would have cost $75 in diesel, and half a day of driving. So I stuck with the local guy. They were quick, but I had to return the next week because they didn’t balance the tires right. Oh, and they only rebalanced the front tires when I said the front end was shimmying. I was told the truck still has a hop-ish (hard to explain) because the tires have 80psi in them. Hmmm….they had 80psi in them when I came in and truck rode correctly. Then about a week after the new tires were installed, I was checking air pressure and found gouges in my rims from the tire changer. Shouldn’t there have been an adapter to not damage the rims? This was my Monday at the tire shop. You can have it.
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:10 PM   #6656
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post
Attachment 281796

This thread is about the OP and his Mondays at the tire shop. If I may, I would like to share my day at the tire shop and it was a Monday. I went in my local tire shop ( actually a garage that does a fair business selling tires) to replace the tires on my ‘21 GM dually. The shop is a small Mom & Pop where I live. The town only has 2 stop and 45 mph signs. It is a minimum of 1 hour drive north or south to a big city and tire stores. My first thought was to support the Mom/Pop. The price was $2100 and change. At Discount Tire I could have saved $300, but it would have cost $75 in diesel, and half a day of driving. So I stuck with the local guy. They were quick, but I had to return the next week because they didn’t balance the tires right. Oh, and they only rebalanced the front tires when I said the front end was shimmying. I was told the truck still has a hop-ish (hard to explain) because the tires have 80psi in them. Hmmm….they had 80psi in them when I came in and truck rode correctly. Then about a week after the new tires were installed, I was checking air pressure and found gouges in my rims from the tire changer. Shouldn’t there have been an adapter to not damage the rims? This was my Monday at the tire shop. You can have it.
Are the gouges in both rear outside rims?

If so, I will explain what they did wrong. If so, they should have reversed clamped those two wheels on the changer so as to not let the clamp teeth gouge the inside of the wheel. Dually's with aluminum wheels are a beast of their own. Let me know.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:24 PM   #6657

Quote:
Are the gouges in both rear outside rims?

If so, I will explain what they did wrong. If so, they should have reversed clamped those two wheels on the changer so as to not let the clamp teeth gouge the inside of the wheel. Dually's with aluminum wheels are a beast of their own. Let me know.

All 6 rims times 4 spots on each rim. Gal at shop thinks you can just buff them out.

Brandi
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:29 PM   #6658
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post
All 6 rims times 4 spots on each rim. Gal at shop thinks you can just buff them out.

Brandi
The two on front, and the rear two inside wheels, you really cant notice when mounted on the truck. Its going to be the two outside dual wheels that are reversed, Where you can really see the scars from the tire changers clamp teeth.

They coulda shoulda reversed/external clamped these wheels to avoid all this. Sounds like lack of experience and/or training. Hate to hear this happened to you.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:41 PM   #6659

Quote:
I will have to go back and look, but I think we both called each other crazy in our divorce pleadings.
My ex and I called each other crazy, she lost when her friends wrote affidavits for me describing her behavior. No kidding
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:30 AM   #6660
Defender of America

Quote:
I have a leg lamp in the window, does that count?Attachment 281793

Only if it's for historical purposes.
Centerline TS WDH

Tags
tire