Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #1

Southerners

Southerners . . .

Southerners know their summer weather report:
Humidity
Humidity
Humidity
_____

Southerners know their vacation spots:
The beach
The rivuh
The crick
_____

Southerners know everybody's first name:
Honey
Darlin'
Shugah
_____

Southerners know the movies that speak to their hearts:
Fried Green Tomatoes
Driving Miss Daisy
Steel Magnolias
Gone With The Wind
_____

Southerners know their religions :
Bapdiss
Methdiss
Football
_____

Southerners know their cities dripping with Southern charm:
Chawl'stn
S'vanah
Foat Wuth
N'awlins
Addlanna
_____

Southerners know their elegant gentlemen:
Men in uniform
Men in tuxedos
Rhett Butler
_____

Southern girls know their prime real estate:
The Mall
The Country Club
The Beauty Salon
_____

Southern girls know the 3 deadly sins:
Having bad hair and nails
Having bad manners
Cooking bad food
_____

Only a Southerner knows the difference between a hissy fit and a conniption fit, and that you don't "HAVE" them, you "PITCH" them.
_____

Only a Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc., make up "a mess."
_____

Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."
_____

Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is, as in: "Going to town, be back directly."
_____

Even Southern babies know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular, sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table.
_____

All Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.
_____

Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin'.
_____

Only Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and "a right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20.
_____

No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.
_____

A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.
_____

Only Southerners make friends while standing in lines, and when we're "in line," we talk to everybody!
_____

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.
_____

In the South, y'all is singular, and all y'all is plural.
_____

Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.
_____

Every Southerner knows that tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; that scrambled eggs just ain't right without Tabasco, and fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.
_____

When you hear someone say, "Well, I caught myself lookin'," you know you are in the presence of a genuine Southerner!
_____

Only true Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened. "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.
_____

And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say, "Bless her heart" and go your own way.
_____

To those of you who are still a little embarrassed by your Southernness: Take two tent revivals and a dose of sausage gravy and call me in the morning.

Bless your heart !
_____

And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff. Bless your hearts, I hear they're fixin' to have classes on Southernness as a second language !
_____

Southern girls know men may come and go, but friends are fah-evah!
_____

There ain't no magazine named "Northern Living" for good reason. There ain't nobody interested in livin' up north, nobody would buy the magazine!

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #2

lol! that was pretty interesting. I did have a time when I was putting milk and sugar on my grits. I thought it was cream of wheat until I saw others putting butter on theirs. It was good either way. But you will never get me out of north country permanently. A trip to the south is good but then it is back to the north woods and lakes. I actually enjoy winter! (Having just said that, I am ready for Spring so I can get camping.)
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

When I moved to north carolina, one of my co-workers told me to quit speaking Northernese. I told her I would quit speaking Northernese when she quit speaking Southernese. Bless her little heart. I also learned that a BBQ is for pulled pork and ribs. A cook out is for hamburgers and hot dogs. Do not invite people to your house for a BBQ and only have hot dogs and hamburgers, there could be a riot.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I like it...........

and I can relate to almost every single bit of it!

Hope "yer" doin well Dennis.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
and I can relate to almost every single bit of it!

Hope "yer" doin well Dennis.
Hey John, we're doing great....hope y'all are as well. Getting ready to get things 'going' down our way. Headed over to Ft. Benning in a couple of weeks to watch the 2015 Best Ranger Competition.
watch your six and never ingress at a bad angle.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 03-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
Hey John, we're doing great....hope y'all are as well. Getting ready to get things 'going' down our way. Headed over to Ft. Benning in a couple of weeks to watch the 2015 Best Ranger Competition.
watch your six and never ingress at a bad angle.
That should be interesting to watch. In a couple weeks, huh? It could be 90 Degrees or 40 Degrees this time of year. Have a safe trip and wish we were headed to Goshen or you were headed to Nashville. Be good to see ya'all again. Have a safe trip to the Peach State
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
B47

When grandma needs to go to the store,she will ask Billy Bob to "carry" her there.

When a Southern girl is said to have "Big Hair"'it doesn't mean she has a big head.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
When grandma needs to go to the store,she will ask Billy Bob to "carry" her there.

When a Southern girl is said to have "Big Hair"'it doesn't mean she has a big head.
Yas-sur.....exactly

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 03-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
That should be interesting to watch. In a couple weeks, huh? It could be 90 Degrees or 40 Degrees this time of year. Have a safe trip and wish we were headed to Goshen or you were headed to Nashville. Be good to see ya'all again. Have a safe trip to the Peach State
It was a great time last year...Army Rangers are 'machines' we have a friend that is competing for the second time....so naturally, we go! Not to mention it is beautiful there this time of year. The BRC starts the 10th of April, we plan to be there the 9th and hang UTC.

We had every intention of making it to the Nashville run, but things came up and we could not adjust.....I notified Kenny about it a couple of months ago, saying we couldn't make it......looks like a blast waiting to happen.

Be great to see you folks again also, maybe some washers? I ain't much of a bean bag tosser

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 03-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Yas-sur.....exactly
Being from upstate NY,I picked up some of these when I married a southern girl while stationed at Dyess AFB in Abilene,Texas:

As mentioned before in this thread, My new MIL would call milk "Sweet Milk" when referring to milk other than Buttermilk.

My in laws would call a small amount of water a "Tank" where I would call it a pond.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #11

G.R.I.T.S

...are girls raised in the south and if you see trucks on the road without tags, chances are you're driving through Mississippi.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyG View Post
...are girls raised in the south and if you see trucks on the road without tags, chances are you're driving through Mississippi.
And if the truck has "Farm Use Only" tags you certainly are driving in a Southern state.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Being from upstate NY,I picked up some of these when I married a southern girl while stationed at Dyess AFB in Abilene,Texas:

As mentioned before in this thread, My new MIL would call milk "Sweet Milk" when referring to milk other than Buttermilk.

My in laws would call a small amount of water a "Tank" where I would call it a pond.
A small body of water is a tank....you swim in'em, fish from them (stock tank) and your live stock and hawses drink from and wade in them.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 03-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
A small body of water is a tank....you swim in'em, fish from them (stock tank) and your live stock and hawses drink from and wade in them.
Nope - a tank is a container made from some man made material designed to contain,store,dispense, and/or transport liquid (s)

You're thinking of a pond.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Nope - a tank is a container made from some man made material designed to contain,store,dispense, and/or transport liquid (s)

X2! Actually, I had never heard the term "tank" used like that.

Ya learn something new everyday..
Old 03-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #16

Quote:

Being born in Texas, reared in Texas, retired in Texas and invested my heart and soul in Texas......it's a ''tank' always has been, always will be. So you must be in error....your thinking of a movie perhaps....'On Golden pond'

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 03-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #17
B47

Quote:
Being born in Texas, reared in Texas, retired in Texas and invested my heart and soul in Texas......it's a ''tank' always has been, always will be. So you must be in error....your thinking of a movie perhaps....'On Golden pond'
Like most items of this type, the term Tank has several definitions and/or meanings - usually depending on geographical areas.

I did a search on Websters and here is a short review of how they define the word:

"A container for holding a liquid or gas"

"A military vehicle that moves on two large metal belts with wheels inside them and that is covered with heavy armor"

"Pond,Pool; one built as a water supply"

There are more,but most of them refer to a Tank as sort type of container for liquid or gas.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Am i southern ?

Being born in Birmingham, Al and raised 40 miles east of the southern city.
Does that classify me as southern? Been thar, dun that as southern as can
be! Oh, those good 40's & 50's!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Like most items of this type, the term Tank has several definitions and/or meanings - usually depending on geographical areas.

I did a search on Websters and here is a short review of how they define the word:

"A container for holding a liquid or gas"

"A military vehicle that moves on two large metal belts with wheels inside them and that is covered with heavy armor"

"Pond,Pool; one built as a water supply"

There are more,but most of them refer to a Tank as sort type of container for liquid or gas.
So a tank, even by definition IAW Mr. Webster.
I rest my case, next on the docket Baliff!

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 03-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Just sittin here reading all this and drinking beer from my pond.....errr....I mean "tankard"
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote