Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2020, 06:14 AM   #21
Mopar Guy

i usually back in and setup by myself. My backer upper says "trailer goes here" and i get it there, Their job is to watch for overhead tree branches etc.

When i get to a new site, i get out and look and then get to work, i get the camper where it goes, then check level, and pull forward or backward to get my levelers in. Goal is 20 minutes from check in to firing up the grill
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
We have found the easiest thing is to just have a common language. As long as I dont have to try to decipher her terms in the half second I have available, we are good. We both agreed on the terms, and we dont use left/right. That is absolutely useless. She just says "driver side" or "passenger side". And if I need to adjust my line, she will tell me which direction the rear of the trailer must go. As long as we both know that, there is no confusion. So if I need to move in one direction, like the drivers side, she will just tell me "move more to the driver side". Something like that. Then I know, "move the rear of the trailer toward the driver side". Our language doesnt have to be anyone else's language, but the best advice I could give would be to both use the same language. And avoid ambiguity.
That is a great idea and very helpful. When I do need my DW assistance she calls out which way the rear of the trailer needs to go as well.
Juddjn3399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddjn3399 View Post
I choose a pull through spot whenever possible, it's worth the extra few bucks to avoid the "argument ". I also have gotten pretty good at the backup without the aid of my DW. Attachment 224838
I’m not sure they listed the two things in the proper order!
Old 03-10-2020, 07:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
I’m not sure they listed the two things in the proper order!
Lol, agreed
Juddjn3399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I wish my wife was still around even when I'm backing up
TitanMike, I’m sorry for your loss. Thanks for a down to earth reminder of how precious our partner can be. My wife is truly my best friend, and I couldn’t imagine how my life would be without her.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:53 AM   #26

I can relate to almost all of this... My wife is my "go to" spotter. We are NOT experts, but we have a little system and we make it work.

My problem with solo is that I don't trust what I cannot see. I have parked by myself, but it isn't pretty.

One trip several years ago we were backing in a spot and something didn't feel just right. She was telling me to come on back... I got out and the RV had reached a cross-tie reinforced wall. It didn't hurt anything as I felt it as soon as it touched it... no damage and no fights, but she learned there is a back to watch.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
i usually back in and setup by myself. My backer upper says "trailer goes here" and i get it there, Their job is to watch for overhead tree branches etc.

When i get to a new site, i get out and look and then get to work, i get the camper where it goes, then check level, and pull forward or backward to get my levelers in. Goal is 20 minutes from check in to firing up the grill
I think you are the only one to mention that you need to look up as well. We have found dead branches overhead and selected another camp site as a result. I have not had a problem with low tree branches. My guess is fifth wheels and motor homes have already cleared them out.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #28
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I have her do the parking.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #29

I get out and inspect the site for obstacles and clearances, decide on where I want the trailer to end up. She heads to back and moves so she can always see me in the mirror. Points left or right for which way the trailer's back end needs to move. Both arms in for straight back and a closed fist for stop. I take care of the rest. Any time I see a closed fist it means get out and take another look.
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:34 PM   #30

We have a wonderful arrangement. My job is to get the trailer where we want it to be. Her job is to watch, and tell me to stop if I am going to hit anything!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:42 PM   #31

My daughter used to help me. She's of age now and has move out and while often joins us on camping trips, it's usually after we arrived and setup or day two. My lovely wife, well, she has no sense of direction, gets excited easily and when she does, doesn't seem to do well under pressure when decisions are needed. Generally she behaves like she's being swarmed by bee's when I've asked her to marshall me into a spot, which usually results in me stopping because I have no clue what her multi-directional flailing is trying to tell me. She then walks up to the truck where I am usually sitting smiling or laughing and finally ask her "What does all that mean?"

Now, I let her out with the dogs to walk once I get out to remove my sway bar and use the camera's. Keeps me from laughing at her, her from wanting to break her string of 22 years without ever laying a hand on or cursing me. If it's tight, I GOAL. GET OUT AND LOOK.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #32

Used the backup camera once to back up to the garage. The camera said I had a lot of room until I hit the overhang and eaves trough which did not show up on the camera. Only cost me a roof ladder.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:30 PM   #33

DW had 2 jobs. Job #1 is to plant her feet where the Driver's side wheel of the trailer should be when parked and stand like a scarecrow with her left arm extended. Job #2 is to sound off if she thinks I might not be aware of something such as a low hanging tree, canopy etc. System works great!
AtTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:54 PM   #34

New camper is much tighter than before. Need to be center in a 18x20 carport. I added the camera and if I point it up some when backing in I can see the center rail and follow it in and be centered within a couple inches. This gives me about 8" of clearance to the ac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200314_141117.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	225275  
Ole_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:03 PM   #35

Mine has trouble recognizing her own left and right. No way am I adding a mirror and reverse images to the situation!!!
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #36

I’m with Semperfi24 and 5picker. Common language and knowing what each other’s job is are key. Her job is to tell me where the trailer needs to be. My job is to get it there. And there is NO SHAME in getting out to look or pulling up and starting over. I kinda enjoy backing my trailer. It’s a challenge and I get alot of satisfaction from a job well done.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:44 AM   #37

My policy is never to let my husband drive when hitched to my 5ver. Forwards or backwards.

At home, I have to pull up a hill, then back the trailer around a 120 degree corner with other vehicles and trailers and 2 ditches to contend with. The last time I brought it in, I was in a hurry, and got it close to where it usually sits. I left it and changed vehicles and headed to an apartment with my son. I told DH I would move it over later. While I was gone, he deciided he would be helpful and move the trailer over to its proper spot. He pulled it too far down the driveway and the truck wouldn't back it up. He decided to take it out the driveway, back it down the road a bit and bring it back up. He did this successfully, but when he got to the top of the hill, he knew he wasn't going to be able to back it down around the corner. He did the best thing he could do at that point and just left it there until I got home. Next time he will leave it alone. My truck, my trailer. Play with your own toys.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:25 AM   #38

Lots of good suggestions. I'm new to backing TTs (our 1st one). I'm used to just looking over my shoulder with no problems, can't do that now. We've only been out twice so far wasn't exactly pretty but managed to get setup before dark. It'll come with time and practice. Probably help hearing my wife if I worn my hearing aids, but they itch like crazy.

KE8SDQ
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-OH View Post
Probably help hearing my wife if I worn my hearing aids, but they itch like crazy.
We use our cellphones. Some folks here have pointed out they’re useless when in an area with no coverage. Walkie talkies could prove useful in that case.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:44 AM   #40

Get out and look before you start. Always back drivers side and you will never need a helper, spotter, or cameras.Trees and tree limbs don't just jump out in your way.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote