RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
My wife knows to leave me alone when backing.

I can put my camper anywhere in reverse that I can fit it going forward. I need no help or spotter.

As with all things... practice, practice, practice. I heartily recommend finding a big, empty parking lot and spend a couple quality hours practicing backing your rig. Try to get it going straight. See how it responds to steering inputs. Drag a couple cones or soft trash cans with you and make a 'spot'. Try to back into it from various angles and offsets.

Backing a trailer up is not a big deal once you know how yours backs up. Too many people freak themselves out in their heads about how hard it is before they even get a chance to try to get decently good at it.

Tim
I agree Tim....practice makes perfect. And although I'm with you on capabilities (you have to be on a farm), sometimes it's nice to have those other set of eyes. We do a lot of late arrivals and when doing so in a place I've never been, having someone to spot is very helpful. I've also been in places that are like bee hives (Pirateland comes to mind) and people park alongside a 1 lane road giving very little room to swing the TV out (BIG pet peeve of mine). So again, a spotter sure comes in handy to avoid an insurance claim and some ugly words.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
I use the camera and get out to look if I feel I am not track.

Sounds like some here need this shirt
I got the coffee mug
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:07 PM   #63

My Wife's Getting To Be a Good Spotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
I agree Tim....practice makes perfect. And although I'm with you on capabilities (you have to be on a farm), sometimes it's nice to have those other set of eyes. We do a lot of late arrivals and when doing so in a place I've never been, having someone to spot is very helpful. I've also been in places that are like bee hives (Pirateland comes to mind) and people park alongside a 1 lane road giving very little room to swing the TV out (BIG pet peeve of mine). So again, a spotter sure comes in handy to avoid an insurance claim and some ugly words.
My wife struggled at first trying to help me back my rig into camp sites. But with practice and having our cell phones set on speaker like a walkie-talkie, she is getting good a checking both sides and the top for obstacles the rig could hit. And here very audible scream "STOP!!" has saved me numerous times. It' horrible what just one tree limb can do; ruin your whole trip.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote