Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
I once asked, "Who decided Roundabouts were a good idea?"...OMG! It's like closing your eyes and hoping you survive. The answer was, "An Engineer". 'Nough said.

Attachment 35306

Actually, roundabouts are a great idea, and function very well when people know how to use them. Trouble is, most drivers are too dumb and discourteous for them to function properly.
The same goes for 4-way stop signs. Traffic flows really well until you inject idiot drivers into the mix.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Actually, roundabouts are a great idea, and function very well when people know how to use them. Trouble is, most drivers are too dumb and discourteous for them to function properly.
The same goes for 4-way stop signs. Traffic flows really well until you inject idiot drivers into the mix.
Good engineering practice requires that the abilities of the reasonably anticipated user be taken into account.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #23

Quote:

I agree! Spend some time in Spain. After spending 10 days there I never wanted to see another red-light!

Travel Trailer - 2014 - Salem 26TBUD
Tow Vehicle - 2004 F150 SuperCrew 4X4 Lariat 5.4L
Nights Camped 2014 - 5; Scheduled - 6
sandkreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post
Good engineering practice requires that the abilities of the reasonably anticipated user be taken into account.

Joel
AMEN Joel! A total nightmare that serves no good purpose other than create confusion for most folks. I'll take a 4 way stop to a round about any day.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post

Joel

But you can't engineer something for the ignorant or stubborn.
As sandkreese said, look to Europe. They have been using roundabouts for years, and if they work in such heavy traffic, they would work anywhere.
When I drove in Mexico City a few years back, among some of the craziest drivers on the planet, I felt safe in the knowledge that everyone knew what they were doing, and I never had any close calls.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #26
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
I once asked, "Who decided Roundabouts were a good idea?"...OMG! It's like closing your eyes and hoping you survive. The answer was, "An Engineer". 'Nough said.

Attachment 35306
Roundabouts are getting more popular/ common here on the Fort Worth side of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex ( can't speak for the Dallas side) it seems, I noticed in the smaller cities.

We first encountered them in England and after getting used to them, they seemed to move traffic in an timely manner. We haven't encountered any problems with them in non rush hours.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Roundabouts are getting more popular/ common here on the Fort Worth side of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex ( can't speak for the Dallas side) it seems, I noticed in the smaller cities.

We first encountered them in England and after getting used to them, they seemed to move traffic in an timely manner. We haven't encountered any problems with them in non rush hours.

The simple fact is they save driving time and gas, one doesn't have to be Einstein to figure that out.
We are also seeing more of them in Canada.
People whined about them at first, but you don't hear much complaining anymore.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #28

They're all great! My favorite is the golf one. Makes TOTAL sense.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #29

Three engineers and 3 doctors are going to a convention on the train. The doctors all queue up to the ticket window and each buys a ticket. The engineers send up one guy and he buys one ticket. The doctors say, "Hey, you can't all ride on one ticket!" The engineers say, "You just watch us."

When the train pulls out, all the engineers pile into one of the restrooms. When the conductor knocks on the door and says "Tickets, please," one hand comes out and hands him the ticket. The doctors are impressed.

After the convention is over, and they're ready to come home, the doctors only send one guy up to get a ticket. The engineers don't send anyone. The doctors say, "Hey, you can't all ride on NO ticket." The engineers say, "You just watch us."

When the train pulls out, the doctors all pile into the restroom and close the door. As soon as the doctors close their door, all the engineers pile into the restroom across the hall, and just before they close their door, they knock on the doctor's door and say "Ticket, please!"
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #30

How can you tell the extroverted engineer? He's the one who looks at YOUR shoes when he talks to you.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #31

Seriously, with respect to "roundabouts:" Back when I was a kid, they were called "circles." I grew up in Philly, near "Pennypack Circle." Although I was only about 4 years old, I can remember when they REMOVED it. When I asked my mother later why there wasn't a "circle" at Pennypack Circle anymore, she said they removed it because it was too dangerous, there were too many accidents. This was in 1956!!!

We've come full circle (pun intended). I don't like them either!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #32

If you make it so easy an idiot can use it, then only idiots will use it.

The thing with round abouts is that they are all a little different and it takes at least one pass to understand the lane structure. Some are one lane, some are multiple lane. We tend to pull up on one, trying to read the lane map and it can be confusing, especially for an out of towner. I love roundabouts that I know and they do move traffic.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #33

Speaking of roundabouts there is one on St. Simons Island and right off of it is a great BBQ place. Southern Soul. Diners, drive-ins and dives place. Went there and food was great. So spin the circle and give it a try if your in that neck of the woods.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #34

Now that's funny stuff

We were doing a renovation on our building at work about 10 years ago, and the engineers - electrical, mechanical and especially environmental - were dealing us fits. The on-site foreman for the general contractor was fond of saying "there are only two places for engineers: on tains or under them."
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #35
Anacortesians

I have one problem with roundabouts. Having originally learned to drive in the UK, I still have a tendency to expect to go round them clockwise, even though we've lived in the US for 45 years!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
I have one problem with roundabouts. Having originally learned to drive in the UK, I still have a tendency to expect to go round them clockwise, even though we've lived in the US for 45 years!
I hope you don't have a tendency to drive on the left side of the road!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #37

Roundabouts

Quote:
Our daughter lives overseas. We travel extensively in areas where roundabouts are common. Rarely see traffic jams even on heavily traveled thoroughfares, and I attribute this to the roundabouts - theres just no traffic backing up at those intersections. Of course, they are used to them. When they installed one here in my hometown, there were angry letters to the editor!!!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
So you have gottten used to going anti-clockwise then?
Old 07-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #39
Anacortesians

Yeah, we have. It didn't take long to get used to driving on the opposite side of the road. You have a pretty solid cue in that you're sitting on the other side of the car!

Even though I was an experienced motorcycle rider, having worked in the experimental department at Norton-Villiers for a couple of years, I decided not to try it on the opposite side of the road, and haven't ridden on the street in the US.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #40
Ham Radio since 1970

I might be offended if I wasn't laughing so much.

Mike - Retired Electronics Engineer
Nights camped '14: 51 '15: 134 '16: 149 '17: 171

N9ID is offline   Reply With Quote