Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #41
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Speaking of roundabouts there is one on St. Simons Island and right off of it is a great BBQ place. Southern Soul. Diners, drive-ins and dives place. Went there and food was great. So spin the circle and give it a try if your in that neck of the woods.
Been there, done that...great joint!
In fact, it's impossible to go hungry on the island...so many great restaurants & joints all over the place

Old 08-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #42
Site Team - Lou

You may have this dreaded killer and not even know it!

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #43

Wow Herk. It's true if you look near the beginning of this thread. What goes around does come back around. By the way one of my sons favorite sayings is: Mechanical engineers build bombs because civil engineers build targets. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne) p.s. Sorry I missed meeting you at Goshen. Maybe next time.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #44

Difference between a male engineer and a male physicist:

Each are asked the same question: A female is across the room from you. If you can only move toward her at half the distance left after each move, how long will it take you to reach her?

The physicist said.. You would never reach her.
The engineer said... You would get close enough.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Difference between a male engineer and a male physicist:

Each are asked the same question: A female is across the room from you. If you can only move toward her at half the distance left after each move, how long will it take you to reach her?

The physicist said.. You would never reach her.
The engineer said... You would get close enough.
My brother, who is an engineer, tells this joke but with a male engineer & male mathematician. They are told that they can take turns walking toward the woman; each time they can go half the remaining distance. The mathematician doesn't even try, saying that you can't halve any number and get zero, therefore he can never reach her. The engineer starts walking, saying maybe he can't reach her, but he can get close enough for practical purposes. LOL!

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #46
Broken Toe

Inside each engineer is a frustrated teacher just dying to get out. That's why my wife tells friends to just let me fix things, and not ask me what I did or even worse... why.

She calls me a pathological compulsive fixer. She says I cannot see anything not working properly without itching to fix it. I denied her claims, of course. But my case was lost when she reminded me that I once went out to the car to retrieve a screwdriver so I could properly adjust the automatic door closer at an IHOP once.

In my defense... the stupid door was slamming each time it closed and it was driving me nuts...

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #47

In my 34 year engineering career, I have to agree with "Understanding Engineers." We are a different breed, but we make good house pets. And I fixed the hydraulic slide-out on our new RV without recourse to the dealer. My neighbor thought that was pretty cool.

2013 Cardinal 37' 5th Wheel
2012 Ford 3/4 ton King Ranch Diesel
From beautiful Ding Dong, TX
Schnooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #48
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Cowracer... your wife is a lucky woman to have a pathological compulsive fixer.
Wish I had one...but alas.. I have a pilot.
(Who hires pathological compulsive fixers to fix out stuff! :O )

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #49
B47

Hey - I have nothing against engineers. In fact I think that every RV owner should have one.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Inside each engineer is a frustrated teacher just dying to get out. That's why my wife tells friends to just let me fix things, and not ask me what I did or even worse... why.

She calls me a pathological compulsive fixer. She says I cannot see anything not working properly without itching to fix it. I denied her claims, of course. But my case was lost when she reminded me that I once went out to the car to retrieve a screwdriver so I could properly adjust the automatic door closer at an IHOP once.

In my defense... the stupid door was slamming each time it closed and it was driving me nuts...

Tim
Tim: There's a vacant house next door to us - how about moving in?
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #51
phat phrog stunt crew

who here has worked on their car/truck and thoght.... i want to get my hands around the neck of the engineer who designed this. or designed it to be placed in such a way that if you didnt have a wrist that bent in 3 directions, and fingers that turned around completely, you needed a 300 dollar wrench for a 1 time 5 minute job?
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #52
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
who here has worked on their car/truck and thoght.... i want to get my hands around the neck of the engineer who designed this. or designed it to be placed in such a way that if you didnt have a wrist that bent in 3 directions, and fingers that turned around completely, you needed a 300 dollar wrench for a 1 time 5 minute job?
If you stop and think, there is usually a reason behind why they did it like they did. You may not agree, but ...
Old 10-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #53
phat phrog stunt crew

the reason probably being they wouldnt have to ever work on it would be my guess.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #54

Quote:
We were remodeling our office at work several years before I retired. Every couple of days, one of the engineers - electrical, mechanical, or somebody - would come up with a change that had to be made in the plans...usually at a point when the general contractor had to re-do something he had just finished. The general contractor was fond of saying "There are only two places for engineers: On a train, or under it."
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #55
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
We were remodeling our office at work several years before I retired. Every couple of days, one of the engineers - electrical, mechanical, or somebody - would come up with a change that had to be made in the plans...usually at a point when the general contractor had to re-do something he had just finished. The general contractor was fond of saying "There are only two places for engineers: On a train, or under it."
Isn't saying that about engineers almost like killing the messenger? I oversaw several times in my FAA career in reviewing what the airline we oversaw calls Engineering Change Orders (ECO) and they all required justification before being approved for implementation.

Sure the mechanics griped about having to re-do work they already did,but they didn't know the reason Or reasons behind the ECO's.

Yes Sometimes I asked myself or the airline what the reason for the ECO was and in most cases there was usually a good reason.

I'm sure sometimes there might be a reason to want to throw an engineer under the train,but not always.

Remember there are always two sides to every story.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #56
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Isn't saying that about engineers almost like killing the messenger? I oversaw several times in my FAA career in reviewing what the airline we oversaw calls Engineering Change Orders (ECO) and they all required justification before being approved for implementation.

Sure the mechanics griped about having to re-do work they already did,but they didn't know the reason Or reasons behind the ECO's.

Yes Sometimes I asked myself or the airline what the reason for the ECO was and in most cases there was usually a good reason.

I'm sure sometimes there might be a reason to want to throw an engineer under the train,but not always.

Remember there are always two sides to every story.
In my career, there was usually justification for ECO's brought on by customer requests in probably 75% of the time and had nothing to do with functionality of the design.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #57
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
In my career, there was usually justification for ECO's brought on by customer requests in probably 75% of the time and had nothing to do with functionality of the design.
I have no problem believing that and if I understand what you're saying correctly here is that it's the customer who usually initiated the design change after the final design was frozen.

So is that an engineer's fault - I think not.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #58
Broken Toe

Quote:
the reason probably being they wouldnt have to ever work on it would be my guess.
No. its because speed (and cost) of assembly rules the roost in automotive plants. You design a system that was 3 parts that had to be bolted together and is now two parts which saves 6 seconds of assembly time and 37 cents in cost, you will get a nice letter of praise in your file and bonus, and a dinner out with the wife at a expensive restaurant on the company nickle.

Design something that makes it easier on the owner to service but costs an extra 15 seconds on the line to assemble, and you would get career counseling.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I have no problem believing that and if I understand what you're saying correctly here is that it's the customer who usually initiated the design change after the final design was frozen.

So is that an engineer's fault - I think not.
Phewww...I was just repeating what the guy said to me. Actually, about 50% of the change orders were customer requests, but not all.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #60
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Phewww...I was just repeating what the guy said to me. Actually, about 50% of the change orders were customer requests, but not all.
Like I said - two sides to every story and perhaps two sides to every change order.

I know that's a very broad statement - my point being is sometimes,but not always, engineering changes are either required by some valid reason (s) or by customer request.