Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

Question Any toy haulers suitable for 18-foot toys?

Forest River has a LOT of different toy hauler brands/models but sometimes it's difficult to tell exactly how much space there is for "toys" by looking at the floorplans online. In my case I have hang glider wings that are 18 feet long (even when packed up) and I can't put them on the roof - they have to be inside, even if that means they stick out into the "living room" of a toy hauler. The alternative is to get a standard enclosed trailer and try towing it behind a traditional motorhome but the idea of towing a 20' trailer behind a 30' motorhome makes me nervous, which is why I'm looking at toy haulers.

Can anyone recommend where I should start? Also, I don't have a tow vehicle yet, so I'm assuming it's safest to go with a 5th wheel toy hauler instead of a traditional tow-behind trailer toy hauler? Is there any reason why someone would want a tow-behind trailer instead of a 5th wheel if you have to get a new tow vehicle anyway? It seems like the 5th wheel would be less likely to flip over and easier to drive. Then again I'm new at all this so I don't know what I'm talking about

Thanks for any advice!
Identifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #2

How wide is it? I carry my 17 foot canoe in my xlr24 but it is pretty narrow at the end,
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #3

About 2-3 feet wide at the ends. I don't think it could fit through a doorway, but I did see one model somewhere that had a sliding-glass door separating the living area from the "garage" and I'm sure it would fit if I removed both sides of the sliding-glass door. The Nitro XLR 24 FQS looks like it's just one big open area except for the bathroom. That might not be a bad idea. Is that the one you have? Does the end of the canoe end up at the foot of your queen bed?
Identifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Always Learning

Watch campers with slides. When they're closed, they close up rooms and doors and whatnot.

I briefly considered toy haulers for my kayaks, but my shortest boat is 14' (except for my daughter's which is 11 1/2').

btw, my wife and I did a tandem hang gliding intro a couple of years ago. Pretty sweet:

Old 10-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #5

That is similar to mine. No slides and no separate garage. The canoe reaches about to the queen bed. It is slightly angled but works pretty slick.
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler