Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #1

Auto level

We have been looking at toy haulers for a while still can't decide on what we want... for those of you that have auto lvl how us it? I'm imagining it being great get to destination drop front legs move truck and bam lol. As long as it's not crazy unlevel of course. Is it really that easy? And somewhat trouble free?
steveinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

Auto level is a great option, don’t miss leveling the trailer manually.
Plus you can use the system to lift the trailer to grease bearings and change flat tires.
We like having a separate room for the toys, keeps any gas fumes out of the main living area.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #3

Not only is auto level awesome, the hydraulic gear is much better suited to lifting the nose of a pin-heavy toy hauler. Our last fiver had electric landing gear that struggled under the best circumstances. Replacing burned out switches on electric landing gear is a regular occurrence.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
Coach

I don't think I'll ever own another car without air conditioning or another camper without auto level. Yes I like it that much.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinil View Post
We have been looking at toy haulers for a while still can't decide on what we want... for those of you that have auto lvl how us it? I'm imagining it being great get to destination drop front legs move truck and bam lol. As long as it's not crazy unlevel of course. Is it really that easy? And somewhat trouble free?

You would be surprised how far out of level these things will work. And yes its that easy - drop front jacks to lift off of truck, pull truck out and press auto level!
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #6

Thanks... all.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:02 PM   #7
Always Learning

We personally put blocks down to shorten the stroke of the legs as we find it helps the camper’s stability. But out of 30-40 campsites, we’ve only hit 2 where we ran out of stroke on the legs. I’m actually in one and it’s only been a real problem because the camper dug 6” ruts into the campsite.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:20 AM   #8

True on the blocks. On our current camper I put blocks down on the rear almost every time.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #9

After setting up in several out of level sites you will get the hang of how to use blocks. We use lynx blocks and stack as many as we need (up to five) on the downhill jacks to prevent an out of stroke situation. And as mentioned, the shorter the stroke, the more stable everything is.

Also dont worry about one sides tires being off the ground. We boondock a lot, in very unlevel spots, and this happens frequently.

When looking at new RVs, auto level is the first requirement
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinil View Post
Auto certainly has it's advantages, quick, ez. That is the good news.

Bad news: They can leak and sooner or later they will leak, its a hydraulic cylinder. And of course you have a lot of hydraulic hoses, they to can and will leak. What begins as a wet spot on one leg can grow to a full blow out leak. How soon after buying can this happen...oh say about 6 mo.

Ask me how I know!!!

Due to the complexity of the system which on my Cedar creek everything is hydraulic any leak, no matter how small should be tended to immediately if not sooner and unless you know the system I recommend having a RV shop do the repair.

My right front leg started leaking, small at first but quickly grew to a flood. I drop it off at my RV shop and they went to order the leg, only comes in pairs, ok, they are shipped over night and we get them, wrong ones, repeat, repeat finally on the 3rd set we got the right ones.

Adding hydraulic fluid: Not sure who designed the system at FR/CC but its impossible to get a container of fluid over the top of the tank...go buy a fluid transfer kit, about $20 bucks with a hand pump, works well as long as you have a helper to hold the hose in the tank while you pump.

Overall it was a very expensive undertaking with luck it occurred inside our warranty envelope. I saw them remove and install a new cyl, took the mech over an hour per cyl and hyd fluid everywhere.

There are 6 cyl on my CC.

Hyd cyl have been around for a 100 years or more, there is no reason they should not be on the extreme side of reliable and ez to replace at a low cost...none of that seems to apply in 2018!

As for leveling a 5th wheel w/out the system, takes me about 10-15 min max, its easy and fast.

NOT saying don't do it, but there is no free lunch...
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote