Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #1

Biker Bars (B&W "tiedown", not the drinking kind)

So, a while ago I had posted if anyone had installed the B&W Biker Bar system in a Spartan, specifically. I had asked because of getting around the fuel tanks, cross beams & water tank.

So, to update, I went ahead and got the Biker Bars back in the winter. I finally installed them about a month ago. I didn't take any install pics because it was very difficult situation and I just got lost in the details.
The install was quite involved and took a full 12 hour day to get done. I spent over 4 hours just taking measurements and mocking up the install. I would take measurements underneath, find reference points and transfer them up top in the garage. I also had to squeeze the plates in between cross beams and the water tank which I could barely get my arm up, but I figured it out and it works. Through out this process, several times I wondered if it was really worth it...now that its done and I have used them, I am thrilled and so glad I went through the ordeal. If I could have had longer, skinnier arms that also bent between my wrist and elbow that would have made it much easier

Anyway, we made our first trip with these installed with my Street Glide and her Fatboy (not me, the bike). They worked great, we traveled some very bumpy roads such as I-78 in PA & NJ, I-287 in NJ, Rt 33 in PA & Rt 22 in PA, even had to do an emergency panic stop (didn't hit anyone) and the bikes stayed put, didn't move at all. I was a bit nervous about it even though I read a ton of reviews of people that used them successfully for thousands of miles, so much to my relief we arrived with them both still standing. We did almost 600 miles roundtrip with them in the toyhauler and no incidents.

I just wanted to share my experience, maybe it will be helpful to someone. Below are pics of the bare floor with the brackets installed then with the brackets and then with the bikes locked down.

(I will probably post this on a couple other forums also)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_190043.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	178852   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_190400.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	509.4 KB
ID:	178853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_190428.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	518.4 KB
ID:	178854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_200742.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	178855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_200845.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	178856  

-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #2

I have the Biker Bar also, and a Street Glide , I strapped mine off for a few trips before I got the nerve to trust the Biker Bar, bike does not move at all.

Could you take a pic of where you position the bike frame attachment bar, I have a WheelDock centerstand and always struggle with the kickstand position when putting the attachment bar on the frame.
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones1969 View Post
I have the Biker Bar also, and a Street Glide , I strapped mine off for a few trips before I got the nerve to trust the Biker Bar, bike does not move at all.

Could you take a pic of where you position the bike frame attachment bar, I have a WheelDock centerstand and always struggle with the kickstand position when putting the attachment bar on the frame.
Yeah, I was quite nervous, stopped about an hour down the road and checked them, every time we stopped I would go back and check...hahaha...
I try to get the bar between the trans cover and the crank. The normal stock kickstand usually clears or just need a little help by hand. I dont have centerstands so not sure if I can help, but yeah, I will take a pic next time. I will have them loaded up again in a couple weeks.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

Looks awesome, If I were to haul my HD's this is the system I would use.
racenviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
Lifelong Learner

I just stumbled (pun intended) across the biker bar a few days ago while searching for a better method to secure my 2009 victory jackpot to my utility trailer for transport. It seems that these are geared mostly towards HD and so I haven't come up with any evidence to show it will work with my Victory which is a huge disappointment because it looks like an amazing product and I do love B&W hitches.
dinkhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkhauler View Post
I just stumbled (pun intended) across the biker bar a few days ago while searching for a better method to secure my 2009 victory jackpot to my utility trailer for transport. It seems that these are geared mostly towards HD and so I haven't come up with any evidence to show it will work with my Victory which is a huge disappointment because it looks like an amazing product and I do love B&W hitches.
Yes, that is what I have seen on the video's and descriptions, they are made for HD frames. I don't know what the frame is like on a Victory or Indian or other bike either. The Harley's have two tubes that the bar attaches to. I am surprised they haven't come out with a model to fit other bikes, maybe they are working on it, maybe the frames are quite different, I don't know. It is a shame.

Tags
bike