Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 06:12 PM   #1

Curious-Heating your Camper

I decided to do a test for fun to see what my result would be. We have had some 25 degree weather at night with 40 ish day time weather this week. We don't camp in Winter but what if I was I wanted to know how the heat system would work. I connected a 15 lb cylinder turned it on at 14:00 hrs yesterday set thermastat on 70 degree's. That tank lasted 24 hrs with a 70 degree temperature inside. At $2.79 per gallon x 3 gallons came to about $8.37 fill up which adds up to about $60.00 a week or around $260 a month depending temps work around what I came up with but I know it will vary with each of you. My question what other options do you have other than your furnace to maintain a comfortable temperature inside your camper. Some type of electric heat. Like I said I'm just testing the water to answer my own questions. Let me know what your thoughts are? Oh, I forgot this is a 40 ft toyhauler. One day we are going across county so I'm doing my research now.

Tim Coltrain IN NC
Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:24 PM   #2

Interesting experiment. Gives me some idea on mine...
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Coltrain View Post
I decided to do a test for fun to see what my result would be. We have had some 25 degree weather at night with 40 ish day time weather this week. We don't camp in Winter but what if I was I wanted to know how the heat system would work. I connected a 15 lb cylinder turned it on at 14:00 hrs yesterday set thermastat on 70 degree's. That tank lasted 24 hrs with a 70 degree temperature inside. At $2.79 per gallon x 3 gallons came to about $8.37 fill up which adds up to about $60.00 a week or around $260 a month depending temps work around what I came up with but I know it will vary with each of you. My question what other options do you have other than your furnace to maintain a comfortable temperature inside your camper. Some type of electric heat. Like I said I'm just testing the water to answer my own questions. Let me know what your thoughts are? Oh, I forgot this is a 40 ft toyhauler. One day we are going across county so I'm doing my research now.

Tim Coltrain IN NC
1500 watt ceramic heater does the trick when 29 or up . set furnace at 58 and put on warmer clothes . mostly the electric heater keeps me toasty when that cold
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #4

We have a vornado heater that we've had for over 15 years. Works great for supplemental heat
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:20 AM   #5

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qeM...ew?usp=sharing

I have a 1500 watt heater that looks like a mini wood stove. Heats the main area nicely and set the thermostat at 62 when we go to bed. I try to use electric when I can without the furnace so the fan doesn't have to run. Only crank the furnace if it's below 40 outside as the electric will keep it 62-65 easily above that temp. We run both if it's below 40.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

We use an electric space heater or a electric fireplace to take the chill off. Be aware of the fact you may need your LP furnace to keep plumbing and holding tanks warm depending on how your rig is configured. All of my fresh water plumbing is above the floor and I have auxiliary tank heaters. YMMV

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, heating