Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 08:03 PM   #1

Dual Freshwater Tanks

Hi everyone. This is my first post ever on this website. I'm not all that technically advanced on computers or social media but I need a little non-technical advice. I have a 2016 Forest River Grey Wolf 26RR Toyhauler. It has two freshwater tanks and two fill caps. The first time I went to a State Park, they just had electricity so I filled one tank (the rear one I think) and headed out. When I got to my destination, the water just kind of sputtered out of the tank making showers and doing dishes a challenge. I called the dealer and he wasn't sure he knew it had two tanks or how to get the pump to pull out of the rear tank. I also called Forest River but the person on the phone didn't have a solution other than to fill both tanks the next time I didn't have water hookups.

I recently went camping at another State Park (electricity only) so before I left, I filled both tanks. I checked the level over the weekend and by the time Sunday rolled around, one tank was nearly empty. I did not see any switch or valve to switch to the other tank anywhere. I was pretty sure there was no way I used up both tanks. My Grey Wolf spec sheet states the freshwater tank holds 46 gallons but it also states there is just one tank. Anyway, when I got home, I noticed there was a T-valve on the front tank and just a screw on cap on the plastic pipe coming out of the rear tank. The front tank emptied a few gallons of water (at best) but the rear tank ran for a long time. My guess is that it emptied all 46 gallons. I should say that when I filled the tanks, it took about ten minutes each and I have excellent water pressure at home.

My question is two-fold. Has anyone ever had dual freshwater tanks in a Grey Wolf 26RR? Secondly, is there a switch or valve that transfers water to the front tank OR activate a water level indicator and/or pump on the rear tank. I have a theory the two tanks should be hooked together with a common water pipe and it would be easy to do. By connecting both drain pipes and adding a supplemental drain valve, I believe the level in both tanks would equalize within a matter of minutes. The second part of my theory is that someone at the factory or the dealership was supposed to install the link pipe but forgot to do it.

Any advice out there? Thanks a million.

Tony
tonyjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
Always Learning

Did you buy this new? I'm betting a prior owner added the second tank.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #3

It was a demo unit from the dealer. It is loaded up with every option I can see and maybe a couple more that I can't see. I don't think it was an aftermarket add-on. The tanks are heated and covered with a skid shield of sorts and all of the formerly empty spaces are injected with that expanding foam insulation. I have talked to several people and most agree there should be a coupling line connecting the two tanks.
tonyjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:28 PM   #4

I have an older Salem TH with dual fresh tanks. They are connected together by a lower hose. That way the water finds its own level between them and therefore the drain, fill, and level sensor set is only needed in one tank. The two basically become one unit.
Roxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
I have an older Salem TH with dual fresh tanks. They are connected together by a lower hose. That way the water finds its own level between them and therefore the drain, fill, and level sensor set is only needed in one tank. The two basically become one unit.
You're responding to a 3 year old thread and the OP has never posted again, since posting this thread.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:59 PM   #6

I'm aware of that. That post came up in a search.
I just figured I'd furnish correct info as a PSA for future searchers.
Roxtar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank

« 27RR ramp light | - »