Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #21

I don't have a lot to add....
Others might differ in opinion on both these thoughts... If you haven't pulled before and you get a 15k trailer...that's A LOT of trailer. Might see if a buddy has one similar size/weight he will let you pull with his supervision.
I would stay away from a goose adapter.. I ain't scared of it...I don't like the geometry it puts on the "tin foil" frames they have on the 5ers.
Like I say these are my opinions only. I have pulled a 17k+ trailer one time(with 3/4T) and I wasn't comfortable. Long story... I read on here about the pin box/frame problems and I got the adapter off mine ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #22

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I guess I'll add my experience/thoughts to the puzzle too since you MAY find them relevant.

We were once shopping for a 40+ ft toy-hauler but didn't necessarily need the garage (had toys but knew majority of our camping would be without them). We had already used a friends 41' or better TH a few times and knew the advantages of a garage even without toys. We weighed the pro's and con's (haha, no pun intended) and decided on a 32' 5'er (no garage).

A few of the non-garage "pro's" for us are...
This smaller trailer is FAR easier to find sites we can fit in when making reservations.
Being a 5th wheel, the overall vehicle length is only a couple/few feet longer than when towing my flatbed car hauler. I can easily fit in any gas station, parking lot, or camp site that I come across (as long as it's long enough).
Our 32' RV has more living area than most (all?) 40+ ft toyhaulers

And just so you know, I was perfectly comfortable towing the larger trailer (I'm a former in-town truck driver). I just find it immensely easier to not have to.

As others have said...Kudo's to you for asking these questions before purchasing!

Oh yeah...one more thing to consider. In most states (unfortunately not mine), you can tow a small trailer behind a 5th wheel...making a toyhauler even less necessary.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, first time, toy hauler, wheel