RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
fx2

From TT to TH - Awning Fabric Replacement Question

A couple years ago we decided to get out of RVing, sold our travel trailer and truck, eliminated both payments. Fast forward 2 years and we decided to jump back in. Picked up a cherry 2002 F250 7.3. Last weekend we picked up a 2007 Forest River Sierra Sport 26 ft toy hauler. Tomorrow I am having the old cracked decals removed and the trailer completely buffed out.

Last night I started the awning fabric replacement after watching countless youtube videos. I thought I had it all figured out but it did NOT go as planned. I have ended up with the frame on the ground and both springs completely unwound. I have the fabric in the track and will rivet the end cap back on today. Question - I have seen conflicting information on how much to wind the springs up. I have seen 8 full turns, 10 full turns and 13-14 full turns. Any idea how to tell when enough is enough? Or just trial and error?

Thanks all, good to be back on FRF.
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:55 PM   #2

If you know your manufacturer, Dometic, Carefree, etc, maybe give their customer service a call.

If no help here or from customer service, maybe try an average # of what your seeing?

I need to replace my awning, a dometic, and know I need to count the turns to unwind for rewinding but I can see what would happen if that process failed.

You dont want to overly wind it but on the other hand under winding is going to force you to uninstall and add another turn (from what I understand).

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, replacement