Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2023, 08:26 AM   #1
HOB

Loading my Toy Hauler

Alright folks am i missing a trick here. I have a Cherokee Grey Wolf 18RRBL toy hauler and the angle of the back ramp is so steep my Harley Street Glide has torn up the diamond plate edge on the camper floor. I have done the raise the tongue, i have even built a 12" high pre ramp and it still scuffs. Anyone have any ninja secrets to loading this beast. Secondly the tie towns put the center of the bike (1000 #s) behind the rear axles once i hit about 65 on the highway i start to get some sway. Has anyone installed their own tie downs further forward. What did that entail?

Thanks JJ
Harley on board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:44 AM   #2

Have you tried adding 12” -16” of blocks under the hitch to raise the front higher?
Old 02-21-2023, 09:02 AM   #3

What is the ground clearance on that motorcycle? Obviously, at some point you may have to accept that a low ground clearance bike would simply not be compatible with your toy hauler loading ramp design.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:15 AM   #4

I have a 2022 XLR Nitro 321, my old bike was a 2019 Ultra limited, it didn’t rub but the first time I unloaded it I slid all the way down the ramp, luckily I didn’t dump it, the only way I can unload my ride it to keep it running and use the clutch to ease it down, I just bought a 20022 CVO street glide, I haven’t loaded it yet but it seems like it has less ground clearance.
Rickinphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:25 AM   #5
HOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Have you tried adding 12” -16” of blocks under the hitch to raise the front higher?
I do have 8" i guess my only concern would be the stress on the jack leg. at what point would i bend the fool out of it. It is an excellent suggetion and i am going to at least do a mock up and see what results i get Thanks!!!!
Old 02-21-2023, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinphoenix View Post
I have a 2022 XLR Nitro 321, my old bike was a 2019 Ultra limited, it didn’t rub but the first time I unloaded it I slid all the way down the ramp, luckily I didn’t dump it, the only way I can unload my ride it to keep it running and use the clutch to ease it down, I just bought a 20022 CVO street glide, I haven’t loaded it yet but it seems like it has less ground clearance.

? Why do you keep it running? Just put it in 1st gear and use the clutch. No need to have it running.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:26 AM   #7

Hmm, I thought the ground clearance on my Gold Wing was low, but that of your bike must be even lower. The blocks (4 sections of 2x6s) under the tongue jack that I need for connecting and disconnecting the WDH bars are sufficient. I usually combine both tasks (WDH and bike loading and unloading) while the tongue is jacked up.

I also built a ramp system out of 2x6s, 2 sections tall. That's not quite enough by itself, but I can jack the tongue up without the blocks to do the rest.

Something else that helps, if your legs are long enough (mine are) and the seat sits low enough. I unload the bike by standing, straddling the seat, as the low point of the bike's underbelly crosses the threshold into the trailer, gently feathering the throttle as I go.

I use the stock tie-downs. I've had the same concern about weight distribution, though I've never had any detectable sway. (I really need to get the thing weighed fully loaded!) But I try to keep my speed at 60 or below, avoiding interstates when practical.

I just upgraded my axle and leaf springs (coincidentally, just picked it up yesterday from the shop). The new ensemble has a 7000# weight capacity. Besides having a greater margin of error, weight-wise, with my nearly 900# bike, I also now now feel comfortable adding more weight (mainly items I usually carry in the truck) forward of the axle, space permitting, to keep the appropriate ratio of axle weight to tongue weight.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:27 AM   #8
HOB

Let me know if the 2022 clears. My '19 is leaving its mark. I have had the same problem with sliding down the ramp. I guess once i figure how to load it without destruction i will work on that problem
Old 02-21-2023, 09:28 AM   #9

I see what you’re saying, just using the compression as a brake but I guess I felt more in control with it running, also it didn’t hurt to let the neighbors hear lol
Old 02-21-2023, 09:30 AM   #10
HOB

Perfect ideas im so glad i posted this i am definately going to incorporate the standing up idea as my girth adds 260#s to the mix.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:31 AM   #11
HOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo K. View Post
Hmm, I thought the ground clearance on my Gold Wing was low, but that of your bike must be even lower. The blocks (4 sections of 2x6s) under the tongue jack that I need for connecting and disconnecting the WDH bars are sufficient. I usually combine both tasks (WDH and bike loading and unloading) while the tongue is jacked up.

I also built a ramp system out of 2x6s, 2 sections tall. That's not quite enough by itself, but I can jack the tongue up without the blocks to do the rest.

Something else that helps, if your legs are long enough (mine are) and the seat sits low enough. I unload the bike by standing, straddling the seat, as the low point of the bike's underbelly crosses the threshold into the trailer, gently feathering the throttle as I go.

I use the stock tie-downs. I've had the same concern about weight distribution, though I've never had any detectable sway. (I really need to get the thing weighed fully loaded!) But I try to keep my speed at 60 or below, avoiding interstates when practical.

I just upgraded my axle and leaf springs (coincidentally, just picked it up yesterday from the shop). The new ensemble has a 7000# weight capacity. Besides having a greater margin of error, weight-wise, with my nearly 900# bike, I also now now feel comfortable adding more weight (mainly items I usually carry in the truck) forward of the axle, space permitting, to keep the appropriate ratio of axle weight to tongue weight.
what sort of axle upgrades did you do if I could ask?
Old 02-21-2023, 09:33 AM   #12

Quote:
I wondered why your engine need be running, but some bikes work differently, so I assumed there must be a reason. I unload three different manual transmission Honda bikes, including a 900 pound Goldwing, by rolling down the ramp, engine off in first gear, using the clutch and front brake to control speed without wheel slip.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:34 AM   #13
HOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
What is the ground clearance on that motorcycle? Obviously, at some point you may have to accept that a low ground clearance bike would simply not be compatible with your toy hauler loading ramp design.
I used to have a ground pounder that had more clearance than this street glide
Old 02-21-2023, 09:35 AM   #14

Quote:
I wondered why your engine need be running, but some bikes work differently, so I assumed there must be a reason. I unload three different manual transmission Honda bikes, including a 900 pound Goldwing, by rolling down the ramp, engine off in first gear, using the clutch and front brake to control speed without wheel slip.
I’m sure it didn’t need to be running, I just never thought of using the compression, live and learn
Old 02-21-2023, 09:36 AM   #15
HOB

Quote:
Yeah i cant accept that. There has to be a method that doesnt cause damage. Getting some good feedback from some of these guys
Old 02-21-2023, 09:40 AM   #16

I built my own custom tire chock system, I bolted a piece of 2” tubular aluminum through the raised stock tie downs, I used 1/2” eye bolts to bolt it down which gave me tie down points, then I found an all aluminum wheel chock and welded c channel to it, the c channel fits over the top of the tube aluminum, I can slide it anywhere I want to position the bike
Old 02-21-2023, 09:51 AM   #17
HOB

Quote:
I built my own custom tire chock system, I bolted a piece of 2” tubular aluminum through the raised stock tie downs, I used 1/2” eye bolts to bolt it down which gave me tie down points, then I found an all aluminum wheel chock and welded c channel to it, the c channel fits over the top of the tube aluminum, I can slide it anywhere I want to position the bike
Does that get you forward enough to get over the axles?
Old 02-21-2023, 09:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley on board View Post
Does that get you forward enough to get over the axles?
It gets me within a couple inches of the wall of the garage
Old 02-21-2023, 09:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley on board View Post
what sort of axle upgrades did you do if I could ask?
I'll quote directly from the work order:
  • 66.25 Flange 7K Straight Axle 80.50 Overall
  • Spring DE 25.25" 6lf 3500# (x2)
I have no idea what most of the terminology means except the weights. That was the important thing for me.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 10:22 AM   #20

When I had a Goldwing Trike the clearance was a big problem. I made a pair of 12 inch blocks that I put under the end of the trailer ramp then used a folding aluminum ramp to get from the ground to the trailer ramp. It worked well and I thought it was less messing around with than trying to get the tongue high enough for the trike to clear.

Another idea for a 2 wheeler that might work would be to get one of the arched loading ramps and lay it on top of the trailer ramp.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler