Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #1

My new Wildwood just rolled off assembly line but...

I just got the word from my salesman that my 2021 FSX 190RT just rolled off the assembly line today. (I had ordered it at the very end of November.) And then he told me that there will be a slight delay though. He said that they pulled mine off to the side because it got selected out of the many trailers built to have a special factory quality control audit done on it. I told him that was great news and he felt the same way. So when it is finally delivered, it should be 100% and shouldn't have any issues with it! I am psyched!

This is my first travel trailer that I will actually be traveling with. I had another years ago that was set up on a lot at a Jellystone campground but never moved it. I have been using a small popup that I pulled behind my motorcycle for last several years and have enjoyed that. Before that, for several years, I would travel on the bike with a small 2 man tent but it was getting harder to get up off the tent floor in the mornings. The popup solved that. And now this 190RT will be even more convenient. I am looking forward to many more adventures with my new toyhauler...
mikeyk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #2

Congrats. I have had two Toyhaulers and love them.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
D W

Good for you, and congrats! However, unless your salesman is a personal friend, I wouldn't put much stock in what he says. One of the tenets of the salesman's creed is to "finesse the customer". In other words, don't let your guard down during the PDI.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Good for you, and congrats! However, unless your salesman is a personal friend, I wouldn't put much stock in what he says. One of the tenets of the salesman's creed is to "finesse the customer". In other words, don't let your guard down during the PDI.
Understood. No, not a personal friend but has been able to keep me up to date so far. I will have a PDI checklist with me to try and help me to remember all the things to check on and will be taking videos of as much as I can...
Old 02-22-2021, 09:40 PM   #5
3boxerss

Awesome news! We got the same trailer! Picked it up in January! We had been considering ordering if they didnt get any in as we been waiting/lookin for 3 months for someone to get them in stock.. DH wast in favor of ordering for some reason.. . Havent been able to do much with it since its snowed here.. On ours there was alot of over torque on the screws on the wood bracing inside most of the cabinets and closet that split the wood... We wanted a door to put under the sink where there is just one door and a fake panel for the hot water heater.. They threw that in at no cost.. Looks alot better. Also on ours the shower where the walls meet the pan was a little off.. Not saying those issues will be on yours but heads up to double check them...

Previous Campers
2017 FR Wildwood 201 BHXL
2001 Traillite Bantam B19
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boxerss View Post
Awesome news! We got the same trailer! Picked it up in January! We had been considering ordering if they didnt get any in as we been waiting/lookin for 3 months for someone to get them in stock.. DH wast in favor of ordering for some reason.. . Havent been able to do much with it since its snowed here.. On ours there was alot of over torque on the screws on the wood bracing inside most of the cabinets and closet that split the wood... We wanted a door to put under the sink where there is just one door and a fake panel for the hot water heater.. They threw that in at no cost.. Looks alot better. Also on ours the shower where the walls meet the pan was a little off.. Not saying those issues will be on yours but heads up to double check them...
Good to know and I like the idea of the door under the sink. I did notice that storage is at a premium on these.

I'm in the same boat as you with all the snow. And even if it wasn't, I knew the cold would probably limit my ability to use it right now anyway. That's why when I was told it would probably be about 12 weeks or so before delivery, I didn't mind. It is finally starting to warm up a bit and the snow is going to melt. My goal was to have it by early spring and looks like it worked out. Now to start planning my trips and destinations. Do I head out west first or head to the Smoky Mountains??? Choices, choices.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #7

Why?

When you say they are pulling your unit aside to do a quality control check, I have to wonder and ask...are they not doing a quality control check on EVERY unit they sell??? Does it just come the end of the assembly line and go to the dealers or buyers and no one double checks their work?
camelcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelcompany View Post
When you say they are pulling your unit aside to do a quality control check, I have to wonder and ask...are they not doing a quality control check on EVERY unit they sell??? Does it just come the end of the assembly line and go to the dealers or buyers and no one double checks their work?
Yes, that is correct.

It is my understanding that the vast majority of RVs are not quality checked at the factory. The dealer, to some degree, and the customer, to a large degree, is who double checks their manufacturing work. It’s a reactive process. The customer points out the problems and begs for them to be fixed.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:51 PM   #9

We toured the Rockwood/Flagstaff factory a few years ago during the International FROG Rally. We were told (at that time) they built 38 units daily, and they pull one random unit daily for a QC check.
Yup, 1 in 38.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:16 PM   #10

Interesting. I always assumed that there was some kind of checks on all throughout the building process. It was explained that 1 is randomly selected at finish to be audited to verify everything was completed correctly. But if that's true, I would figure that the workers know this is going to happen but don't know which unit and that would encourage them to ensure they are doing job correctly on all. Im sure the same people do the same part of the build over and over so they become competent at their stage. Obviously since we are all human, that is a utopian view and will almost never happen all the time. But if the random audit keeps finding a certain part of the project lacking I'm guessing some kind of action would be taken. Otherwise the random audits make little sense. And I also assume that travel trailers are a little different than say, building a car. More like building a home where a little customization is being done on each. Car parts are usually all identical and just need to be assembled to make vehicles. Still a skill but that takes some of the problems out of the equation. That is partially true on travel trailers but there are also a lot of things that need to be built and fitted as well as finished. Same problems pop up during house building and renovations. This just opens up more possibilities for problems during building. Certain components on trailers like fans, A/C, fridge, etc... will be identical on each and failure on those would usually be outside the control of those involved in the build. But things like the walls, flooring, cabinets, window installation etc would be the responsibility of the builders but are not quite the same as just assembling ready made identical parts and can run into issues.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boxerss View Post
We have the 2020 Salem FSX190RT, the screws in the bottom of the shower that connect it to the pan were also over torqued to the point it cracked the plastic in multiple places. We noticed this when we bought it and they replaced the shower surround.

Good idea on the sink cabinet door! That is annoying to get to the water heater bypass valves.
Squatchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:36 PM   #12

Rule of 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Yes, that is correct.

It is my understanding that the vast majority of RVs are not quality checked at the factory. The dealer, to some degree, and the customer, to a large degree, is who double checks their manufacturing work. It’s a reactive process. The customer points out the problems and begs for them to be fixed.
Those of us who have worked in industry are familiar with the Rule of 10. It states "It costs 10 times more to find and repair a defect at the next stage of assembly, and then it costs 10 times more at each subsequent stage of assembly."

RVs would be much less expensive if factory quality were better.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Those of us who have worked in industry are familiar with the Rule of 10. It states "It costs 10 times more to find and repair a defect at the next stage of assembly, and then it costs 10 times more at each subsequent stage of assembly."

Very true.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post

That is so true. I don’t understand how/why that common industrial knowledge is apparently missing in the (United States) RV industry.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:45 PM   #15

You are lucky to have the quality inspection. My friend just purchased a 2021 cedar creek. In the last month it has bee back to the dealership 3 times. First time for water leaks in front bath and under kitchen sink. 2nd time was for water leaking in bathroom again. This time it has gone back because of delamination and cable for black tank not working. The good thing is that they are fulltimer and the dealership is putting them up in a hotel. They also noticed the counter top was full of scratches. They are not happy campers at the present time.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #16

That really sucks. Good money is spent buying these. I understand that problems can arise every now and then with something but the longer I spend on this forum the more I question the commitment of these builders. Nothing is perfect but the volume of issues I see is a bit much...
Old 02-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #17

I am pretty sure that at the factory the get paid production rate by the piece w a bonus for excelling a certain amount. Just saying.......cC
copanocruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:44 PM   #18

I also ordered my 190RT the end of November. I am scheduled to pick it up Tuesday the 9th of March at RV Wholesalers.
k1600gtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1600gtl View Post
I also ordered my 190RT the end of November. I am scheduled to pick it up Tuesday the 9th of March at RV Wholesalers.
Would you believe that's where mine is too? I got word yesterday that mine finally arrived and am scheduled for my PDI next Fri afternoon. I will be headed that way Thur evening and decided to grab a room overnight in Wapakoneta. Bonus is one of my favorite breakfast places, Waffle House,, is just down the road. I didn't feel like doing a 5 hour or so drive to get there, another 2 hours at least at the dealer,, and then another 5 hour+ ride back home while pulling the new trailer all in one day. This should work out nicely.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #20

My new Wildwood just rolled off assembly line but...

That makes for a long day. I have quite a bit further to go. 1400 miles each way. I’m leaving Sunday for my Tuesday pick up. I coming from the Texas Hill country. I guess the good news is I get to camp two nights in it on my way back.
k1600gtl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, wildwood