Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2021, 11:44 PM   #1

New TH owner, Wheel Chock for Motorcycle?

My wife and I are placing our order for a 2022 Micro Boost 25LRLE.

We decided on a TH for a bunch of reasons, but one of mine was the ability for me to take my bike with on trips, and use it for track days as well.

I've only ever towed bikes on trailers with front wheel chocks. My current utility trailer has a quick attach one that's very nice.

The bike is a fairly light sport touring rig. About 480 wet with luggage and my gear. There doesn't seem to be a way to put in a quick attach wheel chock in these without any major mods, but I could be wrong. How are you all setting up for the bikes and locking them down? Really don't want my pretty red corner killer tipping over.

Also, for track days, we would have most likely 2 bikes loaded. So something that could adapt to 2, and be easy to take out.

I don't want anything that is hard to remove when we get to our camping spot, so we can have the floor space back.
MrAngry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:02 AM   #2

Do you plan to strap your bike(s) down also? If not and you're looking for a chock that will fully support them, I can't help you. But if you plan to strap them too, this has worked well for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motorcy.../dp/B016Z0E8FG

I didn't want something permanently mounted, for two reasons. First, like you, I wanted something easily removable. I often use the trailer just to camp, without the bike. The chock just sits on the floor on top of a rubber mat (to help protect the floor and reduce the tendency of the chock to slide while chocking or unchocking the bike.) Second, I didn't want to drill through my floor to mount it.

See pic below. The black chock is a little hard to see in the light and against the dark mat, but you should get the concept.

I never expected the chock to fully support my 900 pound bike. My first goal was to keep the bike upright after loading until after I got it strapped. I figured the chock also would augment the support provided by the straps.

The chock/strap combo seems to do its job well. After fully securing the bike, I can give it a good side-to-side push and there's very little play. After traveling in a variety of road conditions, including mountain roads and running up on a curb or two in a tight parking lot turn, my system has never failed. Which is especially good given that I have less than a foot clearance on either side of the bike inside the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210520_130127.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	262697  
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:20 AM   #3

I use the "ride-on" chock from Cycle gear to hold my Africa twin.

it is free standing/ not drilled thru the floor- rubber feet so doesn't slide

Thanks Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toy1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	262698   Click image for larger version

Name:	toy2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	262699  
turbocitytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo K. View Post
Do you plan to strap your bike(s) down also? If not and you're looking for a chock that will fully support them, I can't help you. But if you plan to strap them too, this has worked well for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motorcy.../dp/B016Z0E8FG

I didn't want something permanently mounted, for two reasons. First, like you, I wanted something easily removable. I often use the trailer just to camp, without the bike. The chock just sits on the floor on top of a rubber mat (to help protect the floor and reduce the tendency of the chock to slide while chocking or unchocking the bike.) Second, I didn't want to drill through my floor to mount it.

See pic below. The black chock is a little hard to see in the light and against the dark mat, but you should get the concept.

I never expected the chock to fully support my 900 pound bike. My first goal was to keep the bike upright after loading until after I got it strapped. I figured the chock also would augment the support provided by the straps.

The chock/strap combo seems to do its job well. After fully securing the bike, I can give it a good side-to-side push and there's very little play. After traveling in a variety of road conditions, including mountain roads and running up on a curb or two in a tight parking lot turn, my system has never failed. Which is especially good given that I have less than a foot clearance on either side of the bike inside the trailer.
That's exactly what I need! Thank you! Bike will definitely be fully strapped, but early in my road racing days, and being a dumb teenager, I wasn't using chocks on my transport. It was really easy for the bike to slip the tires on the decking and tip regardless of strap placement. That's what I'm trying to prevent. If it'll hold the GW, it should hold my Tracer no problem.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocitytom View Post
I use the "ride-on" chock from Cycle gear to hold my Africa twin.

it is free standing/ not drilled thru the floor- rubber feet so doesn't slide

Thanks Tom
I'll give them a look. We have pretty similar bikes. Where have you found it best to anchor on the Africa Twin? This Tracer is the first bike I've had where I can't use Canyon Dancers. I have yet to actually throw it on a trailer. With the big bolted on hand guards the Canyon Dancer won't work.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngry View Post
I'll give them a look. We have pretty similar bikes. Where have you found it best to anchor on the Africa Twin? This Tracer is the first bike I've had where I can't use Canyon Dancers. I have yet to actually throw it on a trailer. With the big bolted on hand guards the Canyon Dancer won't work.

use the front crash bars and the rear foot peg mounts. it is difficult to connect directly to the handlebars or the frame with the body work and accessories installed.

have 46K miles on the twin and its been down a few times so not too worried about scratching it (it is used off road)

Thanks Tom
turbocitytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:01 PM   #7

I used Condor chocks in the past, held 900# + Harleys in place very well. Mine were through bolted to the floor but they do have adapters that work with attacks for easy in/out.
mgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:21 PM   #8

We do not use any chocks for Harleys in our toy hauler. We have in the past on other trailers, but just did not want to drill holes in the floor. We do have front and rear tie-downs and use the rear tie down to pull the rear wheel against a wedge while the front ones hold the bikes upright. Less problems so far than with the front chocks but we have only trailered about five or six times.
Johnnydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:36 AM   #9
REL

I use a Beast Rack. Installs easily and is very versatile. I can put three dirt bikes in my Vengeance 25v. For short trips switch it over to my box trailer.

https://www.bestrack.store/order1617978349047
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:06 AM   #10

I use the Ping wheel chocks for my Harley. It has a mount that sits flat on the floor and you can install and remove the wheel chock by taking out a 1/4 in wing bolt. I would also use some soft straps on the lower triple clamp on the front and passenger foot pegs or somewhere on the swing arm for the rear.
2022 Yamaha Wolverine RMAX2 Sport
atkbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:02 PM   #11

Hi, I took my first trip with my race bike a couple of weeks ago. I didn't use a chock, but will from now on. I found the bike leaned over slightly when I stopped for gas. I'm saving up $300 to buy the Pit Bull Motorcycle Restraint System. I've seen lots of people use this at the racetracks and it takes them about 20 seconds to put the bar on their axel then they just roll it up the ramp and it hooks itself into a bracket that is drilled into the floor. Pit Bull says no straps required, but I may strap the forks anyway.
jw_714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw_714 View Post
Hi, I took my first trip with my race bike a couple of weeks ago. I didn't use a chock, but will from now on. I found the bike leaned over slightly when I stopped for gas. I'm saving up $300 to buy the Pit Bull Motorcycle Restraint System. I've seen lots of people use this at the racetracks and it takes them about 20 seconds to put the bar on their axel then they just roll it up the ramp and it hooks itself into a bracket that is drilled into the floor. Pit Bull says no straps required, but I may strap the forks anyway.
Pitbull Trailer restraint for the win.

I've used them in all my trailers. And just installed them in my Stealth toy hauler.

This thread shows the install at the end.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ll-154750.html

By far the easiest, least intrusive mounting system.
Bowtie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie76 View Post
Pitbull Trailer restraint for the win.

I've used them in all my trailers. And just installed them in my Stealth toy hauler.

This thread shows the install at the end.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ll-154750.html

By far the easiest, least intrusive mounting system.

Thank you for detailing your install! That helps a lot!!
jw_714 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorcycle, wheel