Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Quads side-by-side

I'm looking to move up to a 5th wheel toy hauler in the next year or so. Right now I've got a Puma 27SBU, which we absolutely love because there are no slides (less maintenance), and it has almost 17' of garage length. I also love that the garage is NOT separate, and is just part of the living room. We have changed ATV vehicles around since I bought the 27SBU, and are at the upper end of extremely full. Also have a little girl who will be able to ride her own little quad in a few years, so I want to plan for that eventuality.

Because of our needs/wants, I've been looking more closely at the Work and Play 38FCR. The only problem is that for me to be able to fit all 3 of our current toys (RZR @ 103" long, 2 quads at 86" long, each), I need a garage area that is about 290" (24') long. That's next to impossible to find. Now, of course all my problems would be solved if I could just get the two quads side-by-side in the trailer, meaning the 38FCR would be a perfect fit for us.

The question is, knowing that the quads are 48" wide, and that the door opening is only 91" wide, am I going to have any chance of having 96" to be able to put the quads next to each other? Or better yet, Is there any way I could side-load them?

If I can't side-load or put the quads side-by side, I'm forced to get a 44FK, which is longer than I'd like, and has the garage separated, a much lower ceiling, and no option for a drop-down bed. I'm essentially reaching a point where I'm thinking I might be better off buying a 5th wheel camper that will tow my car hauler (20' flatbed @ 7k GVW), but that will make things even more difficult, as we like to get deep into the mountains, and would have to drop the trailer and come back for it after dropping the 5th wheel.

I'm just looking for any suggestions anyone can provide for fitting all the toys. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,
I don't think any 5th wheel could haul 7000 lbs behind it safely. That is a lot of weight and at 20 ft long a sway issue aside from the fifth wheel being able to support that weight to start with.

What about getting a Toyhauler with lots of headroom and stack the toys on a lift one above each other?
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

If you pull the first one all the way fwd and tight against the wall,you should be able tp wiggle the second one in.If yo have the bunks/seats that fold against the side walls they will have to be removed.We purposely wanted a separate,ventalated garage in ours to eliminate any gas or oil stink in the LQ.I went so far as to plug the hvac outlets back there to eliminate any air exchange.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
If you pull the first one all the way fwd and tight against the wall,you should be able tp wiggle the second one in.If yo have the bunks/seats that fold against the side walls they will have to be removed.We purposely wanted a separate,ventalated garage in ours to eliminate any gas or oil stink in the LQ.I went so far as to plug the hvac outlets back there to eliminate any air exchange.
I can totally understand not wanting that stink. In my current trailer, I have too much stuff on the walls to be able to fit the two side by side. I would guess that even pull-down bed tracks would keep me from getting 96" of width. Is there actually 96" worth of width in the work and play garages?
Old 04-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Hello,
I don't think any 5th wheel could haul 7000 lbs behind it safely. That is a lot of weight and at 20 ft long a sway issue aside from the fifth wheel being able to support that weight to start with.

What about getting a Toyhauler with lots of headroom and stack the toys on a lift one above each other?
We wouldn't have 7k pounds back there. More like 5k. Trailer is around 2,200 lb, and toys are around 2,750. But yeah, I would be surprised if I could find anything that would allow me to pull that behind a 5er.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable with a near 800 lb quad sitting on top of another. Puts too much weight up high. I actually attempted to do something similar at home to give myself more garage floor space, and I ended up finding that it was more money/time than it was worth. The lift would have to be huge, adding more weight, and I would have had to devise or fab my own ramps longer than 7' in order to maintain an acceptable loading angle.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

FR makes the VENGEANCE which does not have the wheel wheels inside the trailer. Might check it out. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
FR makes the VENGEANCE which does not have the wheel wheels inside the trailer. Might check it out. Later RJD
Problem with Vengeance is the longest 5er is 39', and only has a 13' garage. I'd need 16' at an absolute minimum, and at that point the toys would be touching the front wall, back wall, and each other. The Vengeance Touring has a 14' garage in a 39' trailer, but again, too short. This is what has led me to the work and play being the only one I can find that will fit all our crap :/
Old 04-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
Problem with Vengeance is the longest 5er is 39', and only has a 13' garage. I'd need 16' at an absolute minimum, and at that point the toys would be touching the front wall, back wall, and each other. The Vengeance Touring has a 14' garage in a 39' trailer, but again, too short. This is what has led me to the work and play being the only one I can find that will fit all our crap :/
What I see is your tt is only 30ft long now and has a cargo space of 14 ft so I'm little confused by your first post. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 04-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #9

The XLR Thunderbolt 417AMP has a 16' garage. If you go to the RVWholesalers web page their is a Build Your Own option on the top left where you can easily see all of the 5W toy hauler floor plans they offer.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
I'm looking to move up to a 5th wheel toy hauler in the next year or so. Right now I've got a Puma 27SBU, which we absolutely love because there are no slides (less maintenance), and it has almost 17' of garage length. I also love that the garage is NOT separate, and is just part of the living room. We have changed ATV vehicles around since I bought the 27SBU, and are at the upper end of extremely full. Also have a little girl who will be able to ride her own little quad in a few years, so I want to plan for that eventuality.

Because of our needs/wants, I've been looking more closely at the Work and Play 38FCR. The only problem is that for me to be able to fit all 3 of our current toys (RZR @ 103" long, 2 quads at 86" long, each), I need a garage area that is about 290" (24') long. That's next to impossible to find. Now, of course all my problems would be solved if I could just get the two quads side-by-side in the trailer, meaning the 38FCR would be a perfect fit for us.

The question is, knowing that the quads are 48" wide, and that the door opening is only 91" wide, am I going to have any chance of having 96" to be able to put the quads next to each other? Or better yet, Is there any way I could side-load them?

If I can't side-load or put the quads side-by side, I'm forced to get a 44FK, which is longer than I'd like, and has the garage separated, a much lower ceiling, and no option for a drop-down bed. I'm essentially reaching a point where I'm thinking I might be better off buying a 5th wheel camper that will tow my car hauler (20' flatbed @ 7k GVW), but that will make things even more difficult, as we like to get deep into the mountains, and would have to drop the trailer and come back for it after dropping the 5th wheel.

I'm just looking for any suggestions anyone can provide for fitting all the toys. Thanks!
Had me confused as you ran together and missed the new camper. Thanks for clarification. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 04-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #11

You might be better off with a Super C and a trailer. When I had 24ft TH I used mover dollies and stacked three fuel size quads side ways. The last one was always a pain but it work and we did for 4 years until I bought a Rage'n FW TH. They were 96 wall to wall and I could get all four side by side in it. We went back to a TT as the kids have grown and we wanted more comfort for us. We still ride a few times a year. I just rent a place and bring the bikes up on a utility trailer now.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
What I see is your tt is only 30ft long now and has a cargo space of 14 ft so I'm little confused by your first post. Later RJD
Cargo space is listed as 14', but there's just over 17' of depth when you go past the bathroom, where there is 50" of space between the bathroom door and outer wall, allowing me to put half the quad past the front of the defined cargo area. This allows me to fit one quad and the rzr, lengthwise.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
You might be better off with a Super C and a trailer. When I had 24ft TH I used mover dollies and stacked three fuel size quads side ways. The last one was always a pain but it work and we did for 4 years until I bought a Rage'n FW TH. They were 96 wall to wall and I could get all four side by side in it. We went back to a TT as the kids have grown and we wanted more comfort for us. We still ride a few times a year. I just rent a place and bring the bikes up on a utility trailer now.
Funny, but my son said this last night. Unfortunately, this would lead to a lot of other problems like having to daily drive the super c, as I'd be pushing the limits of affordability since I'd have to store the super c due to HOA restrictions, and I'd end up having to buy a daily driver, and I need a pickup for everyday stuff. Costs get astronomical.

I thought about the idea of turning the quads within the trailer, but hadn't tested measurements. They are 86" long, so I assumed that there's no way I'd be able to turn them 180 within a 96" width. It's like they'd have to be turned on the ramp before loading. Looks like even if I could turn ONE of the quads 180 in the 38FCR, I'd have all the length I need. I go from having 86" of length, to 48".
Old 04-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #14

We just sold our 30WRS. But I hauled two quads sideways all the time. It even worked with the fold down couches in the 10' garage. I just pulled the quad to the front and toward the right. Then took the grab bar and yanked the back around until it was sideways.

If you can do that, you're only looking at around 18' or so of garage space.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #15

Sounds like you need something like this?

Sorry, don't get excited. This is a picture of my 1/12 scale R/C Toybox build.
When I saw your thread, I couldn't resist and thought it would get some grins.

I hope you find a solution for what you need.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
We just sold our 30WRS. But I hauled two quads sideways all the time. It even worked with the fold down couches in the 10' garage. I just pulled the quad to the front and toward the right. Then took the grab bar and yanked the back around until it was sideways.

If you can do that, you're only looking at around 18' or so of garage space.
Unfortunately, there is no moving these quads. The 550, maybe. It's about 750 pounds. It's extremely difficult to manipulate the backend. Then there's my quad, the 1000, which weighs 900 pounds. I'd have to have them on dollies. Also, after doing some angular math, it seems that I might not be able to make that turn within 96" of width, but that's assuming a perfect rectangle, so...
Old 04-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post

Well, I certainly thought it looked real. That's awesome.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post

I have been racing a KFX450R for five years. I absolutely thought that was a real set-up. Wow.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #19

If I need to with my 30WR I can side load 2 quads in the garage and haul the rzr in the box of the truck.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
If I need to with my 30WR I can side load 2 quads in the garage and haul the rzr in the box of the truck.
How do you get them turned sideways?
bitNine is offline   Reply With Quote