Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 06:28 AM   #1

Spare Tire Mount

I have the 2017 FR Limited 22RR. It does not have a spare tire mount. I need some ideas on how to get the tire mounted underneath the trailer and out of my way. Pain in the caboose having to put in bed of truck or in TT in my way. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. Thanks
Jdr9941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #2

Your trailer has a pretty long tongue, doesn’t it? Is there enough room beneath the tongue without getting in the way of the WDH to mount it there?

Bruce
Old 05-02-2021, 08:02 AM   #3

I thought about that. But I’m afraid it will drag. Then I thought about a donut. I am not familiar enough with travel trailers on if a donut would work pulling it any distance. I have a full size spare.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:39 PM   #4

Check my thread here, me and another guy put one of each style carriers on our 260s

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Got the tire carrier installed today. As I said I picked it up for 60 bucks new from a local guy. I got some bolts to mount at Lowes, it was shipped without mounting hardware. It is the underslung mount, but I just held it to the top of the frame and its fine. If it would have been mounted where they wanted it, our little low rigs would have it hanging way too close to the road for my tastes. So if you're buying new, get the other mount, but this works fine. I mounted it with 2 self tappers then added 2 5/16 bolts with lock nuts to each side. Works perfectly! <br />
In the pic you can also see where I moved my rear jacks to for slope clearance. <br />
Great mod, less tongue weight than in the pass through and not something I have to remember to throw in the bed when packing. <br />
<br />
Also, did you guys notice how beefy the spring hangers are on this thing? My other campers just had about a 2 inch u shaped hanger welded to the frame, but these things are massive in comparison.
agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #5

Great thank you all!
Old 09-20-2021, 01:42 AM   #6

I did the same thing this guy did with my 2016 22RR:

I ordered this carrier on Amazon (same one he references as the model he used, but a lot cheaper than from etrailer.com), then went to the local big-box hardware store and got the following hardware:

Hillman 3/8-in x 4-in Zinc-Plated Coarse Thread Hex Bolt (4)
Hillman 3/8-in x 16 Zinc-plated Steel Nylon Insert Nut (4)
Hillman 3/8-in I.D. x 1/2-in O.D. x 1-in Long Seamless Steel Spacers (4)
Hillman 3/8-in Zinc-Plated Standard (SAE) Flat Washer (16)

I put the mount plate for the carrier upside down on the center of the bumper (there's a tab that locates it against the top of the fender: it perfectly catches the bottom of the bumper to help locate the plate), marked the top holes, then measured about an inch from the bottom of the bumper to a point roughly in line with the factory holes in the mount plate. Because its upside down (which is required to allow the carrier to fully pivot down to the ground), the factory holes for use with a box bumper are now in space: so I drilled two new 3/8" holes in the plate for the lower mount points. I replaced it on the trailer, held it in place with a c-clamp, then drilled through the bumper. To mount, I put the bolts with washers on the outside face, inside face, the 1" spacers, another washer and finally put a washer inside the bumper and secured it with the nylock nuts. Added an inexpensive spare tire cover (after assembling the carrier bar using red loctite on the two nuts that hold the tire-mount point in place). Pull the pin, and the assembly drops to the ground and the door is fully accessible.

Time will tell how durable the carrier will turn out to be, but evidently the guy who's video I linked to has been using the setup for a few years. (Sorry: for whatever reason, the forums' software uploads pics sideways every time!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210915_200033.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	263094   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210915_200047.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	263095  
vhmike73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags