Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2022, 10:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyknuck View Post
Well I decided to order the sumosprings and move on. Thanks for the input folks.

Do you load the sumosprings with an empty trailer or loaded?
Steve.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.b View Post
Do you load the sumosprings with an empty trailer or loaded?
Sumo are nothing more than really big bump stops. When empty, they are supposed to be above the axle, when loaded, they are progressive. The more weight put on the truck, the more of the load they support.

Best set it and forget it setup, same with Timbrens. I have them on my F150 even though I no longer tow an RV with it, but put 1000 pounds in the bed and the truck sits level and rides smooth as silk.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
I have to agree with this. With a 2000# rating in the back, putting in a 2300# vehicle exceeds the frame rating, regardless of what you removed from the back. That is 2300# sitting on four spots directly on the frame, not distributed off the walls and across members. Some fudge factors are factored in, yes, but not for continuous use, eventually something will fail. Can you remove 300 pounds off the vehicle and put it elsewhere?

Suspensions are designed to a percentage of overall weight, you will rarely ever see axles or springs rated to take the entire GVWR. But with that said, there is nothing wrong with putting higher rated axles and springs on. Keep in mind though, the rest is still designed only for what it came with. When you replace the springs, have an installer do it that also does welding and knows how to brace the spring anchors on the frame as they are the weakest link and have been known to fail when the GVWR is exceeded.
I can not remove 300#s off the toy. I am able to remove 50#s off of it that I store in the basement. I have to disagree with your analogy of removing the Bed and couchs as 400#s is 400#s and made a big differance on handling. I also relocated the 60# tire that was hanging off the frame on the very end. I suspect the frames will handle more weight than they are rated for , just like anything else that is manufactured. Manufactures already know that people in general will and always have exceeded the limits.
Odyknuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:01 AM   #24

The difference is like this. When you stand on one foot on thin ice, it will crack and break, but if you lay flat on that same ice, it wont. Thats the difference between the bed and everything and a 4wheeler sitting on four spots.

Just be careful and have it inspected occasionally.

Tags
size, weight