Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #1

Tongue height

Not sure if I should post this here or in the model specific area. Mod, please move this if it does not belong here.

I have a 2018 Catalina Trail Blazer toy hauler and was wondering if anyone knows the height of the trailer tongue when sitting level. I am not sure my WDH is set up correctly and the trailer is currently in storage, so I can not readily check it.

I am using a Equalizer E4 hitch with the rig .Per the directions, the top of the ball and the top of the tongue are supposed to be equal. Directions say "as close as possible". I have measured it earlier, but did not have the tow vehicle at the storage lot this morning and the TV does not sit level at home. I would appreciate any info you can supply.
cliffy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #2

Level

I wouldn't worry with tongue height. Do what I did when the automatic leveler didn't work. I place a four foot level in center of camper to see what was level. I then put a can of beans on the floor to see if it rolled or moved or stayed and it stayed. Once you do that then you can measure your tongue height but that will only be a guessing measurement. It will change depending on your camp site set up. Get a four foot level and a torpedo level. They work.

Tim Coltrain In Nc
Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #3

I need it to be level so I can reset my weight distribution hitch
Old 05-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #4

Level #2

If you can carry it to a walmart or somewhere as to what you consider to be level to set your system up. I did that on my pull camper way back. The real trick is the old eye ball trick and stand off to see if it looks level to the naked eye. When I set mine up the first time I had it perfectly level but when traveling down the interstate I had a little fish tail. So ,I came back home and dropped the nose down about a inch and the fish tail went away. Remember finding that comfort zone will be you driving and getting that feel.

Tim Coltrain In NC
Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy49 View Post
I need it to be level so I can reset my weight distribution hitch
Well my knee jerk reaction to your question was to say your truck is probably over weight but first that does not answer your issue and after checking you trailer GROSS rating at 7900 lbs and assuming that you stay withing that with your family load that down specs on your truck suggest that you may be OK.

To the question, I think that is something you have to do is have trailer pulled out to deal with this. Unlke the camp site, you are not really wanting level as to gravity you want both ends level with respect to the ground where you are parked so pull it to a parking lot, take the instructions for hitch set up, your hitch tools and a tape measure. I would use a tab of that blue masking tape on the fenders and measure how the load affects the level of the truck by reference to the tape rather than trying to measure to a spot on the fender of bumper since those points move in more than straight line up and down.

while you are at it take the whole thing to the CAT scales and see how it goes there, after you reset the hitch.

I say that with passion because I need to do the same thing. I feel like the front end is pulling too much on the road but then alignment is probably overdue as well.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #6

The trailer was originally set up with out toy in the back. We are going to North East Ohio from Lexington and I want to be sure the WDH is set correctly. I will be adding about 900 lbs. to the trailet, so I am pretty sure it will need adjusted.