Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

Trip to COLD weather

Good afternoon.

We need advise...!! Please

We are planning a trip to NM for New Years.

We have a Wildwood 260RTX and I dont know exactly how to prepare for the cold weather.
I know they sell a Heated fresh water supply
Antifreeze in tanks

We will stay at RV Park with all the services. I added insulation in the belly of the TH, but black and fresh tanks are not covered.

Any Recommendations?

Thank you
Old 10-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #2

Since you are traveling to an RV park with hookups you should be able to keep the tanks empty. While traveling might be your biggest issue. Leave Fresh tank empty and carry water in jugs for cooking, drinking, and flushing.

A gallon of RV antifreeze in Gray and Black tanks will keep valves from freezing so you should be able to dump once you get to RV Park.

Best bet would be to avoid using toilet as much as possible, using campground facilities as much as possible.

IF daytime temps are above freezing, and you have anything in Gray or Black tank, dump before nightfall and temps go down below freezing. If you don't, chances are you'll be hauling it all back home with you, or at least to a warmer area where it thaws and you can dump.

The real answer lies in how really cold it gets.

Also, take extra blankets or sleeping bags. Running the furnace at a lower temp at night will save a lot of Propane. Again because you'll be in an RV park a couple of electric heaters will help too.

I don't camp in RV Parks during cold weather and find that some "sweats" and a sleeping bag keep me nice and warm at night with my furnace set around 60 degrees. That temp has the furnace running only intermittently at night with the temps in the 20's.

If your FW tank and holding tanks have heaters on them just turn them on when temp drops into the upper 30's. With heaters on tanks you won't really need a heated hose. Fill Fresh Water Tank and operate off it, keeping the fill hose drained of water and stored in a warm compartment.

BTW, if you don't have tank heaters they are usually available on Amazon and if tanks can be accessed without too much trouble, aren't hard to install. They'll need a 12 volt supply and most fuse panels have a vacant position for a 30 amp fuse to feed them.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:49 PM   #3

TitanMike, Thank you so much for your advise

Well so far the temperature this Monday 10/26/2020 will be 17/33, so can NOT imagine how will it be New Years.

I just ordered 2 tank heaters (Black and Fresh) because are exposed, for some reason grey it is NOT exposed, but will get antifreeze for that.

Great idea to dump before night if used.

DUMB question, the Furnace its Only Propane???? Have (2) 20#, no clue how long will last with the furnace.

Refrigerator has been Only used with propane so far, and about 30 days total I use 30# +-. This time wont be the case bc will run refrigerator with power.

Starting to think if this is a good idea. Wife is "special"
Old 11-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #4

I may be a little late on this one, but found myself on a boondocking hunting trip and we had an unanticipated cold snap. I’m from Louisiana and didn’t prep in the faintest for 15 degree weather. My fresh water tank and others froze solid the first night. Was terrified but nothing busted. My solution was to get a heating blanket from Walmart and wrapped it around the fresh water tank as much as able and fired up the generator. We ran the generator at night while freezing. I didn’t concern myself with the other two and didnt have any issues. Now I just keep that heating blanket in storage as a cya.
Brucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #5

Thank you all..!!!

As the time has come. I noticed that Nothing is more cold than Government. They are closing everything in NM.

I dont know what to expect by new year’s
Old 11-27-2020, 10:40 PM   #6

We just picked up a 2021 260rtx and had it to the Smoky Mountains last week and it did well. Temps were at 30 to 32 in the night time and I had no issues. I know you're going to be in colder but I think you can hang in there. All of the plumbing is inside the camper so it won't freeze, but as you said, two of the tanks are exposed, and that what makes this little camper so affordable as there is no heated underbelly. Add those heating pads and a heated water hose and try not to keep any water in them.
As for the heat, I ran it at 68 and it did well, but the electric fireplace being so close to the thermostat screws things up. I think if I left the fireplace on high and added a space heater to the bathroom i could have gotten by without propane at all.
The most noticeable thing was how cold the floor gets without any insulation under it.
As for us, thats about the coolest we'll camp in so its ok for me. But if anyone else follows this thread, the FSX series is not a cold weather rig.
agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #7

Thank you AGPOPP

I bought the tank heaters and I installed insulation R19 in the bottom of the TH.

Thank you for the advise with the fireplace. I will do the same with the extra heater for the bathroom and bedroom.

We will use it here locally this weekend and weather will be low 34's and will comment next week.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdelgadillo View Post
Thank you AGPOPP

I bought the tank heaters and I installed insulation R19 in the bottom of the TH.

Thank you for the advise with the fireplace. I will do the same with the extra heater for the bathroom and bedroom.

We will use it here locally this weekend and weather will be low 34's and will comment next week.
I thought about doing that to mine, stuffing unfazed r19 under there and covering with the Coloplast material like the factory.
Good luck with keeping warm!
Old 12-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
TitanMike, Thank you so much for your advise

Well so far the temperature this Monday 10/26/2020 will be 17/33, so can NOT imagine how will it be New Years.

I just ordered 2 tank heaters (Black and Fresh) because are exposed, for some reason grey it is NOT exposed, but will get antifreeze for that.

Great idea to dump before night if used.

DUMB question, the Furnace its Only Propane???? Have (2) 20#, no clue how long will last with the furnace.

Refrigerator has been Only used with propane so far, and about 30 days total I use 30# +-. This time wont be the case bc will run refrigerator with power.

Starting to think if this is a good idea. Wife is "special"
The furnace is only propane and is a propane hog when it gets cold... but supplementing the furnace with auxiliary heat is a double edged sword.

Often times the furnace heat ducts run next to the plumbing lines, keeping some radiant heat on them. If you wind up using the fireplace AND another heater in the bath/bedroom to supplement, open any cabinet doors that might have plumbing in them. It will help the auxiliary heat make it's way in where heat from the ducts might have been.

As to how long a tank of propane will last using the furnace?... depends... it depends on how high you keep the thermostat, how often you open the door, how far open you have a roof vent, etc. There have been reports of folks using a 20# tank (in cold weather) in just two days. Many who stay for an extended period will get a 100# tank delivered and connected to the LP line so they are not changing out tanks every couple of days.

Speaking of roof vents, you should crack one or two open to help with condensation. Condensation inside a R/V is a HUGE cold weather issue. You'd be amazed how much moisture comes from just breathing. Add in bathing or doing dishes and you could see water running down the walls! Really!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #10

Well after the weekend trip this is how it went.....

We left friday and when we got there and unloaded golf cart and stuff Inside RV was 42F, outside was 36F we set the thermostat at 68F... 13 minutes later the furnace went off... why? because temperature was at set point. I could not believe it.

I have the Tank monitor and overall Friday, Sat and Sun we used 3/4 of 1 20# tank. Turn it on Friday at 9 pm and turn it off Sunday at 8 pm. I can say that belly insulation might be the greatest upgrade.

Sat lowest was 30 and high was 60, it was raining at night and Sun morning there was ice in all trucks.... no issue inside nor in the back or front of TH.

I kept an eye with Condensation... we turned on exhaust fan when taking a shower, sometime at noon and sometime in the afternoon. At night we cover it with the Vent Insulator. Rear skylight was also covered just with a piece of coroplast 10mm and i used some white velcro. Sunday morning the windows had a LOT of condensation and we left exhaust on for good 2 hours. Thank you 5PPicker for the advise.

We had an extra infrared heater. No Need for it at all inside... we use it outside for a little while.

Floor was not cold at all. And I left the fresh water heater on since friday afternoon. No issues there either.

We had sheets and 2 thin blankets and no problem in bed.

Whom ever have a TH like ours, do the belly insulation and 4 seasons it is....
Old 12-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #11

Quote:

We left friday and when we got there and unloaded golf cart and stuff Inside RV was 42F, outside was 36F we set the thermostat at 68F... 13 minutes later the furnace went off... why? because temperature was at set point. I could not believe it.

I have the Tank monitor and overall Friday, Sat and Sun we used 3/4 of 1 20# tank. Turn it on Friday at 9 pm and turn it off Sunday at 8 pm. I can say that belly insulation might be the greatest upgrade.

Sat lowest was 30 and high was 60, it was raining at night and Sun morning there was ice in all trucks.... no issue inside nor in the back or front of TH.

I kept an eye with Condensation... we turned on exhaust fan when taking a shower, sometime at noon and sometime in the afternoon. At night we cover it with the Vent Insulator. Rear skylight was also covered just with a piece of coroplast 10mm and i used some white velcro. Sunday morning the windows had a LOT of condensation and we left exhaust on for good 2 hours. Thank you 5PPicker for the advise.

We had an extra infrared heater. No Need for it at all inside... we use it outside for a little while.

Floor was not cold at all. And I left the fresh water heater on since friday afternoon. No issues there either.

Awesome results! And yours is better than factory because they only do between the frame rails, not edge to edge. Where'd you get the coroplast?
Old 12-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #12

I bought it here locally at Glantz Signs and Graphics supplies.

There must be a supply in your town.... i guess.... no shipping.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
I bought it here locally at Glantz Signs and Graphics supplies.

There must be a supply in your town.... i guess.... no shipping.
I was thinking a sign shop.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Great post!
Glad it worked out and you are enjoying your time R/Ving!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #15

We did our COLD weather trip to NM

It was COLD COLD COLD.

First night was -14
Of course water froze and we spend about 5 hours figuring out exactly where and checking all the pipes.
1.- NO pipes burst
2.- Water was frozen in the Toilet line
3.- Fresh water supply at tank
4.- Fresh water supply for pump
5.- Black tank by valve
6.- Grey tank by valve

We bought forced air heater and took about 1 hour to defrost
We also bought hair dryer for toilet line and water pump line, 10 or 15 min each and everything worked.

I had insulation foam (pink 1") and covered area around the fresh water supply elbow by tank.

Second night was -5
Water froze by
1.- Toilet
2.- Supply line at fresh tank
3.- Black tank by valve
4.- Grey tank by valve

We spend like 1 hour maybe total

We defrost black and grey tank with forced air heater. And we insulate them with pipe insulation and foil tape
For the supply line I bought a heated strip line and installed from fresh water tank all the way to the pump.
Toilet line we used the hair dryer.

Third night was 0
1.- Toilet
2.- Black tank by valve
3.- Grey tank by valve

I spend maybe 30 min.

Water froze by toilet just a little, we used the hair dryer maybe 5 minutes. AND we bought a Twin size electric heater and put it around toilet, I dont know if the fact that we have the porcelain toilet was a factor, but after electric heater blanket NO more issues.

I had to remove insulation of the black and grey lines, defrost them with the forced air heater, install back the insulation AND we Bought a Electric Pad Heather I thing is 15" x 14" and installed that around the 2 valves (black and grey) and that was a Great Solution.

After that NO more issues. I learned A LOT and I know where all the pipes are and goes.

One thing I am sure that regardless of the bottom insulation R19 that I installed and whatever they have maybe R3 or R4 in the belly the line for the toilet goes under the plywood floor, from the shower to the toilet and there is where it freezes, so I will need to remove my insulation and theirs to insulate that line.

If I can help anyone else, will be more than happy to do It.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:07 PM   #16

Stay out of the mountains and you will be fine.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:13 PM   #17

Smart idea ppine..!!
Old 02-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #18

Without insulated skirting installed around a parked trailer, almost all are going to be prone to freezing in temps that low. If you have access to shore power, great, but if not there is no way to avoid freezing with the cold air all around and under the rig. Glad you were so fortunate to not break fittings...I would do a very thorough check of your plumbing when it warms up.

2019 FR Cherokee Wolf Pack 24pack14+
2019 Ford F250SD 4 x 4, 6.2L
2015 DL1000A ADV
2017 DR-Z400 SM
2thdr is offline   Reply With Quote