Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #1

Which way is off for propane quick connect?

Just bought a 2018 sandstorm 283GSLR and it looked like the LP quick connect valve was in the middle instead of all the way one way or the other. Problem is it’s not labeled on the valve so I’m not sure which way is on or off. I am assuming turning it clockwise shuts it off but I want to be sure because I believe this may be the cause to me running out of propane very quickly.
generallee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #2

Do you have a picture? The only LP quick connect I know of looks like these...

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../CAM59853.html

Which work like any standard ball valve, the opening is the same axis as the lever, so if the lever is perpendicular to the line then it's off and if it's parallel then it's on.

If you have a different kind of valve then a pic would be helpful.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #3

The valve on mine looks pretty close to the picture you posted. I would take a picture but my phones camera doesn’t work so I’ll just go with perpendicular being off. I tried turning the valve on or off to listen to hear if any propane was hissing out but I didn’t hear any so I’m curious if propane only comes out when something is connected to the fitting. Either way thanks for the advice I appreciate it!
generallee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee01 View Post
The valve on mine looks pretty close to the picture you posted. I would take a picture but my phones camera doesn’t work so I’ll just go with perpendicular being off. I tried turning the valve on or off to listen to hear if any propane was hissing out but I didn’t hear any so I’m curious if propane only comes out when something is connected to the fitting. Either way thanks for the advice I appreciate it!
Correct, the quick connect fitting works similar to an air hose. The valve on the hose is to prevent gas from coming out as something is being connected and works as a backup in case the connector seals leak.

When connecting, make sure the valve is off (perpendicular) and then connect the hose. Then turn the valve on and make sure no leaks are heard/smelled.

When disconnecting, turn the valve on the line off first to let the device (BBQ, what have you) run out of propane, then turn the valves on the device off. This will ensure no propane is left in the device and none will come out when you disconnect it.

Enjoy!
Old 02-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:
That is correct. There is a spring-loaded valve inside to stop you from doing just that. Usually, with the handle is 90 degrees to the valve is the off position.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #6

All gas valve work the same. If the handle is in line with the supply line it is on. If the handle is is cross way or 90 degrees to the supply it is off. Same applies to gas meters on a house.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
That is correct. There is a spring-loaded valve inside to stop you from doing just that. Usually, with the handle is 90 degrees to the valve is the off position.
On most of my quick connects, both on the TT and my extra hoses, you can't connect or disconnect with the valve on; the lever stops the collar from moving.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #8

Mnemonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The memory cue is:
Handle crosswise to flow=a gate across the flow
Handle inline with flow=gas is flowing in the line
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It may be hard to see but many handles are marked on & off.
Also as mentioned, the handle usually locks the collar when 'on.'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv_propane_quick_connect.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	162840  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Just bought a 2018 sandstorm 283GSLR and it looked like the LP quick connect valve was in the middle instead of all the way one way or the other. Problem is it’s not labeled on the valve so I’m not sure which way is on or off. I am assuming turning it clockwise shuts it off but I want to be sure because I believe this may be the cause to me running out of propane very quickly.
A properly functioning quick connect will not allow out-flow when disconnected even if the valve/lever is in the on (or partially on) position. If you are running out of propane quickly, you'll need to test the quick connect for leaks (soap bubbles) or find the source of another leak.

How quickly did you run out of propane and what appliances were you using?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #11

I don't know if the OP is new to RVs or not and I don't know where they're at, but it is winter. Propane furnaces will consume propane like it's candy, we had 2x30lb tanks on our 2010 31-foot TT and if we didn't use electric space heaters to keep the inside warm at night we would be out of propane in both tanks within 3-4 days.

If you're at an RV park with hook-ups then save money and hassle by using electric space heaters, save your propane for cooking.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #12
Old Engineer

LPG = 91,000 BTU's per gallon

LPG = 4.3 Lbs per gallon

LPG = 21,163 BTU's per pound

So, a 20,000 BTU per hour furnace uses

0.95 pounds of LPG per hour of use

or 0.22 gallons per hour of use
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleckDreher View Post
LPG = 91,000 BTU's per gallon

LPG = 4.3 Lbs per gallon

LPG = 21,163 BTU's per pound

So, a 20,000 BTU per hour furnace uses

0.95 pounds of LPG per hour of use

or 0.22 gallons per hour of use
21,594BTU per pound and our 30k BTU furnace burned ~1.4LB/hr.

That means we'd get almost 43 hours of furnace run time with two full 30lb tanks.

The furnace ran around 50% of the time without space heaters so that would mean in roughly 86 hours we'd have gone through 60lb of propane; 3.5 days.

Needless to say, we bought a couple of space heaters when we filled up the tanks.

Curious to see what the OP reports back regarding temps and furnace use.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #14
Denver, CO

Careful with electric heaters which don't circulate the heat like the furnace does and be aware of where your water pipe are etc. to make sure you don't save propane and bust water line and fittings. Happens a lot.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
On most of my quick connects, both on the TT and my extra hoses, you can't connect or disconnect with the valve on; the lever stops the collar from moving.
Precisely correct! The lever is a Fail Safe. It not only opens the ball valve but prevents you from connecting or disconnecting if the ball valve is open.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
All gas valve work the same. If the handle is in line with the supply line it is on. If the handle is is cross way or 90 degrees to the supply it is off. Same applies to gas meters on a house.
X2 !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane