Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 07:09 PM   #1

++ Window Tinting Toy Hauler Windows ++

I did a search and didn't really come up with much.
I've never Tinted windows before, but I have always been a "Do It Yourselfer".
I'm really trying to get away from the heat coming the in windows, more so then for the privacy.

What type of Tint do you suggest?
ACLazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #2

I used this on my home windows this summer and was very pleased. As you could imagine, being from Vegas I know heat. I put this on the inside of my windows and it greatly reduced the amount of heat by keeping it at the glass. You can still see out easily during the day but nearly impossible to see out of at night.

VViViD One Way Perforated Window... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXWRTM6...p_mob_ap_share

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #3

On the sunny side I use cut to fit Reflectix to reflect heat & light out. I use them at night for heat retention & added privacy.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:36 PM   #4

I've been thinking of tinting my 260 as well. I did tint the front windows of my Bounder before we sold it. I went down to the local stereo shop and bought tint off the installer off of his huge roll.

There is a place online called Northern Tint, and I bet if you gave them your window sizes, he'd cut them and send them in a tube. They have a cnc plotter/cutter and can cut large pieces.
agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #5

I had this done to our 23 rd-l Arctic Wolf. Made a big difference inside temperature wise. We went with the darkest they had.
x-splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:54 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
I used this on my home windows this summer and was very pleased. As you could imagine, being from Vegas I know heat. I put this on the inside of my windows and it greatly reduced the amount of heat by keeping it at the glass. You can still see out easily during the day but nearly impossible to see out of at night.

VViViD One Way Perforated Window... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXWRTM6...p_mob_ap_share
Thanks for the link. We need to do something in our house. My daughter's window faces east and roasts all morning long.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACLazer View Post
I did a search and didn't really come up with much.
I've never Tinted windows before, but I have always been a "Do It Yourselfer".
I'm really trying to get away from the heat coming the in windows, more so then for the privacy.

What type of Tint do you suggest?

I just completed tinting the windows on my Sabre 37FLH with a 15 percent, 2mil nano ceramic film from Motoshield. You can get this film from Amazon or directly from Motoshield. You can get a 10 percent discount on your initial purchase from a direct purchase. For the entire job, I spent about $250 for the film and tools to do the job myself. I saved about $1,600 in labor alone doing it myself, but I work slow and took me a couple weeks to complete.

Prior to this, the Sabre had no tinting on the windows at all and needed tinting for privacy, but mostly to reduce the heat coming in. You'll need to be sure whichever brand you choose in whichever darkness percentage, that it is a nano ceramic type film. These will reject up to 99 percent of heat and UV rays and make a big difference. Probably the best upgrade I've done to the Sabre yet.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:48 PM   #8

tinting

Instead of tinting have you thought of having graphics made for the windows. Like the ones that go in the rear windows of pickups, that way you could personalize the camper with something for you. Check with a local graphics company and see what they would charge to make one, they would need to know the sizes of the window.
Armywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armywrench View Post
Instead of tinting have you thought of having graphics made for the windows. Like the ones that go in the rear windows of pickups, that way you could personalize the camper with something for you. Check with a local graphics company and see what they would charge to make one, they would need to know the sizes of the window.

Unfortunately, this is not going to help with reducing the heat and UV rays, which is why the OP is looking to tint the windows to begin with. And, personalized window wraps are a lot more expensive than tint.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #10

Anything put in the window is going to block UV and keep the sun out, this was suggested as an option for plain tint. A chance to personalize their rig they way they might like. Didn't mean to upset all the experts here.
Armywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #11

Thank you all for your help and responses.

I order some 15% VLT Tint on Amazon and an installation kit. I ordered the 30" wide and 20' long, as most of my windows are a max of 27" tall, and it should be plenty, with some left over for mistakes. I'll do some before and after pictures once I get it all done. I'm planning a one week trip to the Outer Banks toward the end of this month, with the Harley, and hoping to get it done before I leave.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #12

Tint came via USPS and I worked on it Saturday. I did the two escape windows first, I took one screw out of each of them and they slid right off the hinge on top. I did both of them in my garage on my Work Bench. They all came out good except the large picture window, I should have asked my neighbor for help on that one. It was just too large for two hands, I needed four. Needless to say when I went to put it up it folded and stuck to each other and I ruined it, I put it up anyways. I ordered 30" x 20' and I ran out, I was just a hair short. I ordered more and I will redo the large window, and the two smaller ones below it, one is a slider that opens. You can see in the picture it's not done, it's much lighter.

Doing the Outer Banks at the end of this month and I will let you know if it helps, I'm sure it can't hurt.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210510_103702621_HDRtint.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	254087  
Old 05-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #13

Looks great!
Mine came with black blinds that do help. Why they make any rv with non tinted glass anymore is really a mystery. This is on my list.
agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Tint came via USPS and I worked on it Saturday. I did the two escape windows first, I took one screw out of each of them and they slid right off the hinge on top. I did both of them in my garage on my Work Bench. They all came out good except the large picture window, I should have asked my neighbor for help on that one. It was just too large for two hands, I needed four. Needless to say when I went to put it up it folded and stuck to each other and I ruined it, I put it up anyways. I ordered 30" x 20' and I ran out, I was just a hair short. I ordered more and I will redo the large window, and the two smaller ones below it, one is a slider that opens. You can see in the picture it's not done, it's much lighter.

Doing the Outer Banks at the end of this month and I will let you know if it helps, I'm sure it can't hurt.

Looks like you did a good job. I ran into the same problems where I had to redo at least three or four windows where I inadvertently tore off the edges. But, it was a good learning experience for me too, and it was a ton less expensive than if I hired a professional to do it.

If you used a nano ceramic tint, you're going to see a very noticeable difference. I immediately noticed at least a 5 to 7 degree drop in my rig temps. Your AC is going to have to work less now because you've done that.

I'm heading to Camp Hatteras in OBX for a week long trip in a little more than a month from now too. Leaving next week for Myrtle Beach for a week. I know it's gonna help big time for me in all that fun in sun and sand.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #15

Thanks guys, I ended up doing the 5% VLT, non ceramic, and you can still see out from the inside. When it's all said and done I'm only going to have $100 bucks wrapped up in it all, including the installation kit. Mine does have very dark blinds too, but it don't seem to help much.

I'm staying at the Camp Hatteras KOA toward the end of this month, and then Emerald Isle Holiday Trav L Park Resort again next month. I was at Emerald Isle last year and really enjoyed it, it will be my first time ever in the Outer Banks.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #16

Looks good !!
2016 Yamaha Wolverine R Spec
atkbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:30 AM   #17
RV There Yet?

Its not a tough job, just tedious. we did more of a smoked chrome tint on ours. you can get adhesive type tint or "static cling". we used the static cling stuff and it looks ok. you can see where some of the dog hair got under it on the big window. but for our limited use it does not bother us one bit.

this is what we put up

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Thanks guys, I ended up doing the 5% VLT, non ceramic, and you can still see out from the inside. When it's all said and done I'm only going to have $100 bucks wrapped up in it all, including the installation kit. Mine does have very dark blinds too, but it don't seem to help much.

I'm staying at the Camp Hatteras KOA toward the end of this month, and then Emerald Isle Holiday Trav L Park Resort again next month. I was at Emerald Isle last year and really enjoyed it, it will be my first time ever in the Outer Banks.

Heading to EI in middle of September myself. We go there at least once or twice per year. Holiday Trav L Park resort is nice but they're too picky about what you can and cant have on your camp site, such as no outdoor rugs larger than a welcome mat and no fires to protect their grass. We've since changed over to Goose Creek campground which is on the sound side, off of route 24. They have some great sound side camp sites right by the water and is less crowded than HTP resort. My GF has a 4 x 4 off road Tacoma, so we load it up and drive to the beach whenever the ocean is calling.

This will not be your last trip to the OBX. You and your family are gonna love it. Way too much to see your first trip out there. Totally different than any other beach camping you'll do. It's relatively quiet, pretty remote and no hotels and retail beach shops all over the place, like in Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head.

Cape Hatteras KOA is a pretty expensive place to stay these days, compared to what it used to be. It also can be a bit over crowded and difficult to navigate with an RV, at times. Right next door to it is Camp Hatteras, which costs quite a bit less, is laid out better, has bigger sites, and is easier to navigate IMHO. Check it out for your next trip out that way.

What's great about where you're staying is you can get up to watch a beautiful sunrise over the ocean, but then walk across the street from the KOA to see some of the best sunsets I've ever seen over the sound. You can drive a vehicle to the vacant lot across the street from the KOA to watch the sunsets since they own that property.

The KOA has a small, but pretty good restaurant, which is great for a quick, inexpensive breakfast or lunch. A great place we've found to eat lunch or dinner is down in Buxton toward the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. About two miles past the lighthouse and just past the secondary school on your left is, what looks like a hole in the wall place, called Pop's Raw Bar. Very good and reasonably priced seafood and drinks, good entertainment when they have it, but its a very small place and they don't take reservations, so get there early for lunch or dinner. We found out it's where all the locals go, so you can't go wrong there.

Have fun!
Old 05-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #19

Thanks for the update and the details. I plan on bringing the Harley with me on both trips, so I will be doing allot of exploring in the OBX on that, I'll be there 5 days.

I did have a full sized Mat at EI Holiday Trav L Park, and they never said anything to me last year.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the update and the details. I plan on bringing the Harley with me on both trips, so I will be doing allot of exploring in the OBX on that, I'll be there 5 days.

I did have a full sized Mat at EI Holiday Trav L Park, and they never said anything to me last year.

Oh yeah, forgot you said you've got a bike. That's gonna be even better when checking out the OBX sites. LOTS of bikers hang out at Pop's and a great, friendly place to meet other like-minded folks, such as yourself.

Unless HTP resort has changed their rules or are just more lax than before, they'll stick a note on your door about your mat, so just don't be surprised if you see one on your next stay. I try to get away with it every time I go there, but they catch and warn me everytime.....think I'm on their grass-killer list

Tags
toy hauler, window