Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2023, 01:08 PM   #1

2022 FR Salem FSX - Dexter Axle (EXTREME CAUTION)

Hi all, Last week I finished a NC to TX drive across in my 2022 FR Salem FSX Platinum 170SSX(Single Axle). This would bring the RV total mileage to about 2500 miles.

At every stop for gas as we all do I checked things out and I noticed the passenger side trailer wheel hub was strangely warm, once very hot and sometimes cool etc at various gas stops.

This had me concerned, so once camped I called a mobile RV tech thinking maybe a wheel bearing but why so soon? Mobile tech came and as soon as he pulled the wheel hub off all of the brake component parts fell out in pieces, broken, scorched destroyed(Backing plate/springs/electronic controller, everything, and severe scaring on the inside of the wheel hub... not sure about spindle... it seemed ok as well as the bearing but word is still out on that) (See pic)

The Drivers side was fine(no issues). Mobile tech said he had never seen anything like it but in his opinion was serious defect or assembly issue. Anyhow, had I not decided to check it out no doubt that would have caused a wheel failure entirely sometime soon as all the parts were just flipping around inside.

Dexter without admitting any fault is covering all the parts and 1.5 hours of labor at the service center in TX i took it to and i'm trying to get them to cover some if not all of the RV Transport because the parts/fix were going to take 2 weeks and i had to get back to NC.

They did give me the typical stuff about proper maintenance etc... but i did go off on them... There is no reason on earth that within 2500 miles that the entire braking system was getting destroyed inside the wheel hub...

On that note any experience reducing/eliminating out of pocket expense with RV Transport after events like this that render the trailer untowable for extended period? Its going to Cost me 1k to get it back to me vs me driving 4 days and spending 500 to 600 in gas. (Goodsam Roadside and Travel assist doesn't help in these situations).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dexter_Brake_Components_Destroyed_Passenger_Side_only.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	569.9 KB
ID:	284925  
WileyCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
They did give me the typical stuff about proper maintenance etc... but i did go off on them... There is no reason on earth that within 2500 miles that the entire braking system was getting destroyed inside the wheel hub...

On that note any experience reducing/eliminating out of pocket expense with RV Transport after events like this that render the trailer untowable for extended period? Its going to Cost me 1k to get it back to me vs me driving 4 days and spending 500 to 600 in gas. (Goodsam Roadside and Travel assist doesn't help in these situations).

I tend to agree that with only 2500 miles on the TT this shouldn't have happened. Could have been caused by several factors including improper installation. Could have been a part failure also (like shoe retaining pin breaking) that cascaded into what you see.

Mileage is not always the deciding factor on whether someone should "perform maintenance" on their wheels/brakes. Time and exposure to normal weather effects (hot, cold, damp) often dictates an annual inspection on RV chassis components, especially when they receive very few annual miles. A 2022 model trailer most likely has chassis components that were manufactured and assembled sometime in 2021 (or even earlier). Some components on my 2018 model TT have/had manufacture dates from 2016).

I like to raise my TT off it's tires at the beginning of every season and at the very least turn the wheels listening and feeling for any clues something is not right. My trailer rarely sits more than 60 days without being out on the road (almost 5,000 miles so far this year) so I also pull brake drums/hubs for a good bearing inspection and lube.

Was lack of maintenance/ inspection the cause of your issue? Don't know but I do know from experience that regular inspections go a long way to mitigating any possible damage.

As for getting reimbursement for transport services, that will totally depend on what Dexter (or FR) has in their Warranty documents. Often times the "damages" they agree to are limited to just direct damage and not consequential damage (like inconvenience).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:55 AM   #3

Eh... RV world is strange

A 1.5 year old trailer(from mfg date) with 1200 miles on it shouldn't need to have the wheel hubs cracked open and inspected before adding another 1200 miles when it's been stored properly, and tires and wheels have undergone no trauma and proper inflation maintained. Even after 2 or 3 years sitting all that should b needed is to freshen the grease perhaps.

I use to rebuild old cars a life back, but new to RV trailers. RV trailer world seems to expect much much less accountability from the manufacturer sadly. Anyways I digress...

Now to be fair to your question it had been 1200 miles and technically 12.5 months of owning the trailer. I kept it stored nicely, tires covered. And i pampered it. But technically speaking a inspection inside the hub was not performed at 1200 miles or the 12 month period.

But let's be very very clear... If an inspection would have been done and someone was lucky enough to spot that bolt not properly torqued,or that hairline crack in the brake shoe backing metal or the spring put on wrong... The "Cause" is still a defect in design, assembly, or parts. Or they would have saw nothing... Yet...

I don't think RVs would sell as much if each owner was told you need to spend $200 to $400 extra every 1200 miles to jack up the trailer and crack open the wheel hubs or do it yourself and kill 2 to 4 hours and headaches...

Heck if I went across country 2000 miles on the first trip that means I better stop half way and it fully serviced...

Bottom line maint and inspection is super important,... But a complete failure of brake components within 2.5k miles in one wheel only of a brand new RV trailer operated and stored properly and without abuse needs to be acknowledged for what it is and not a routine maintenance oversight.
WileyCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, dexter, salem