Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2022, 09:39 AM   #1

Awning Recall

FR is recalling some awnings due to seam separation. https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=22V556
tapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:01 PM   #2

Our 2022 Sunseeker 3010 has this recall problem. It looks like the awning is ripping but it is actually the weld(glue) failure. The rip progresses when the awning is extended so it cannot be used.
Our awning does not have any identification tags on the fabric or on the tube. Does this mean anything or is it common practice with Forest River?
John JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:40 PM   #3

I would try to call FR and see if your unit is included. They will probably need your VIN
tapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:10 PM   #4

Awning recall

Thank you for the reply.
Our unit is on the list. I got a notification via mail as did our dealer. The problem is the lack of identification tags which means the warranty group will have difficulty getting the correct replacement parts. I thought it was a requirement for the OEM to tag these components. Is the absence of the tags common with a new unit or is it an indication that the awning is not normal OEM ?
Old 09-23-2022, 03:49 PM   #5

I realize I am asking a lot but can you send a picture of what your awning separation looks like? I was on the roof of my TT and the awning is rolled up, on one end I was able to flip up a small end. The stitching is in place. Could this be a separation?
mongal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:10 PM   #6

Awning separation

Click image for larger version

Name:	4C2CA272-B2BA-42C3-BDCC-004E30CA8027.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	279597
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongal View Post
I realize I am asking a lot but can you send a picture of what your awning separation looks like? I was on the roof of my TT and the awning is rolled up, on one end I was able to flip up a small end. The stitching is in place. Could this be a separation?
Old 09-23-2022, 07:44 PM   #7

when they rip all the way off..
the awning frame will drop
there will be nothing to hold it up to the trailer!

even while you are driving down the road!

inspect your awning before driving !
Old 09-28-2022, 10:06 AM   #8

Will they for sure send out a letter if our TT is on they're list? I haven't received any notices, even for the propane connection. Maybe ive been lucky?
Weigh-Safe WDH
Adirondack_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #9

In my case a recall notice was sent to me as well as the dealer. You could contact the Forest River customer service representative for your unit to be sure. They have been very helpful. You can call them or send an email with your questions. Please include the last ten numbers/letters of your vin along with the brand and model of your unit to help them to find your status quickly.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John JK View Post
In my case a recall notice was sent to me as well as the dealer. You could contact the Forest River customer service representative for your unit to be sure. They have been very helpful. You can call them or send an email with your questions. Please include the last ten numbers/letters of your vin along with the brand and model of your unit to help them to find your status quickly.
Thanks for the info I’ll reach out to them.
Weigh-Safe WDH
Adirondack_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:38 AM   #11

My 2022 Sunseeker 3010 DS has been recalled, too. Now we're waiting on fabric and THEN I'm sure we'll wait a month for the dealer to "get around to it." Anyone have an idea how long it's taking to ship this replacement fabric? OR Who do I reach out to at Forest River to find out? THanks in advance.

(Yes, I just joined the forum, but I've found it VERY interesting and helpful. You folks are great. THank you!)
ron203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron203 View Post
My 2022 Sunseeker 3010 DS has been recalled, too. Now we're waiting on fabric and THEN I'm sure we'll wait a month for the dealer to "get around to it." Anyone have an idea how long it's taking to ship this replacement fabric? OR Who do I reach out to at Forest River to find out? THanks in advance.

(Yes, I just joined the forum, but I've found it VERY interesting and helpful. You folks are great. THank you!)
Our awning was fixed within two weeks from the point the dealer submitted the warranty claim along with the details required to order the correct fabric. Since I already had a service appointment scheduled two months ago I needed to be sure the fabric would be available on time. I reached out to the Forest River service coordinator for help and coordinated this with my dealer service group. It seems our dealer service groups are overwhelmed which becomes a very frustrating issue for most of us rv owners. I think we owners should reach out more to the manufacturers to give them the opportunity to help our dealers to help us. We also need to make the manufactures accountable for quality and keeping them involved with fixing our problems is a good start. So far my experience with Forest River customer service has been very positive so I encourage you to contact them.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:10 AM   #13

Awning recall

Thanks for the quick reply. I plan to reach out to FR tomorrow after the holiday. My dealer , whom I’ve been acquainted with for a long time as this my second unit, seems to really struggle with scheduling and follow up. Would you happen to have a particular person or number to call? TIA.

My work order has been approved by FR for three weeks, but shipping info on the fabric is not forthcoming.
Thanks
Ron
ron203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron203 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I plan to reach out to FR tomorrow after the holiday. My dealer , whom I’ve been acquainted with for a long time as this my second unit, seems to really struggle with scheduling and follow up. Would you happen to have a particular person or number to call? TIA.

My work order has been approved by FR for three weeks, but shipping info on the fabric is not forthcoming.
Thanks
Ron
I called the FR customer service number listed in the owners manual and/or website. I think FR has specific service consultants assigned for different models so I was directed to the correct person during this first call. You will need the model and vin to get to the right person.

Tags
awning, recall